• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 New Member

thewholething

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say "Hello" and introduce myself.

I'm a Geography major at SUNY New Paltz. I graduate next year, and I will be applying for Grad school. I'm interested in Planning, Real Estate, and the like.

My question is: How does one become a planner? By going to grad school and taking a Planner's test? (Sorry, I know very little about this)

I would like to go to school in NY. Does have any grad school recommendations? CUNY Hunter? Rutgers? Columbia? Am I missing any?!

-NP_F

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Welcome :b:

and thread moved to introduce yourself

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from the center of Lake Michigan!!!

Not really;-)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from among the many Midwesterners
and who started out with a BS in Geography.

H

Cyburbian
Hello.

The APA has a list of all accredited schools on their site www.planning.org This might be a good place to start looking, but there are also many other good non-accredited schools (as mentioned before on other threads).

life_boy

I'm not a planner so I don't know how to 'become' one but I can welcome you to the board. Welcome.

thewholething

Thanks everyone! I'm surprised I didn't find this website sooner. I found it on Columbia's site.

Yeah, I'm a geography major- and the only student in the department interested in becoming a Planner. {Lucky me...maybe!}

There's definitely a lot of info on so many threads. I think I'll start by playing "catch up."

Budgie

Cyburbian
np_f said:
There's definitely a lot of info on so many threads. I think I'll start by playing "catch up."
Let assimulation into the "Throbing Brain" begin. Count down commence, uploading soul.

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome from the Southern Tier!

Good to have another NY'er on board, even if you are downstate. ;)

ludes98

Cyburbian
If you want to become a planner, apply for planning jobs. There are alot of munis that will take a geography degree for entry level positions. I thought I wanted to be a city manager when I was in high school, but being a planner is what I really liked. An internship sealed the deal. Work for the public and private sectors in your career if you can. Oh and welcome.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Dirty stinking geographers. Coming in here and taking jobs from us God-fear'n edubacated planners... Oop's sorry, thinking out loud again. ;-)

Welcome to the boards and enjoy!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greeetings and make a wish :b:

The only true test to becoming a planner is registering in Cyburbia and not becoming addicted :-D

Being a Jersey native, I'm pleased you have included Rutgers (not my alma mater), but a good school nonetheless.

Have fun posting and study hard!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome! I have a geography degree as well... but I think it's becoming harder to get an entry level job with just a geo degree. Are there any companies or municipalities near you that have intership positions? That's how I broke into the field, and it may give you a better taste of whether you like it before you move on to grad school and/or try to enter the job market. Good luck!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Welcome! We have had a rash of geography majors appear on Cyburbia lately. (That's a good thing!). Many of us Cyburbians are geographers, so it is good to see.

Have fun, don't be shy, post often!

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Welcome from a fellow planning student in Texas!

The first step to becoming a planner in raising a mug! :) :b:

Seriously, internships do wonders. I lucked-out and my internship is turning into a full-time position in May. I'm not sure exactly where you are in NY, but I'm sure there's a few municipalities, counties, etc. itching to get their hands on some cheap labor! ;)

Welcome to the boards!

el Guapo

Capitalist
You damned dirty geography majors...

Welcome, but don't think we will fall for just about anyone around here...

thewholething

LMAO @ pic...

hey, what do you have against geo majors?!

I mean, I will be going to get my master's in planning...that doesn't make me all that bad...;) or does it...?

NP-F

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
Hey, NP_F, and welcome! I just graduated this past May from college and am in the same boat as you, except a little ways up the Hudson in Albany. I'm applying to Hunter, University at Buffalo, University at Albany, and Pratt for NYS schools--with the exception of Pratt, I figure my grad school loans SHOULD be less than 15k. Gotta love SUNY! Good luck with it all!