• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! New Member

Hello everyone. I'm excited about finding Cyburbia and joining in on the forums. I'm not a planner. However, I am very interested in urban planning, especially New Urbanism. I live in Mid-town Atlanta near Atlantic Station and commute out to my job as an aerospace engineer. (Still waiting on our mass transit to expand up I-75)

I own rental properties and would like to continue to aquire rental property with the hopes of contributing to good urban planning.

I hope you will welcome the occasional non-professional opinion.

Best Wishes
Happy Holidays!

RocketScientist

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome aboard, from somewhere between the Finger Lakes and Southern Tier regions of New York.

We've quite a few non-professionals here, so feel free to participate to your heart's content.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
If you buy the hype, then greetings from the heart of Tech Valley...Albany!

Otherwise...welcome from the Capital District, NY!

How long have you been involved in rentals?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Dude,
Welcome, and whatcha workin' on? Anything cool? Anything you can tell us about?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
GeogPlanner said:
If you buy the hype, then greetings from the heart of Tech Valley...Albany!
LOL, should be "home of the country's worst politicians";)

BOT- Welcome aboard RocketScientist :b:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hey, didn't you know - planning isn't rocket science! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Welcome aboard, eh?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome!

I have been thinking about getting into owning some rental properties here in the Chicago area and I will have to pick your brain about the subject.

Aerospace engineer! Good you will be great help when Cyburbia decides to terraform Mars. ;-)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Welcome to Cyburbia! Have fun and stick around here! I guess I'm not the only one mildly interested in space anymore, here on Cyburbia...:p
Cheers, from a country that has had 2 failed space missions (sattelites)... Somehow the music of Lost in space comes to mind when I remember it... :p

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Welcome Rocket Scientist,

You know I'm PlannerByDay and "Rocket Scientist" by night. Actually just the astronaut of my own personal rocket which travels to the female stars at night.

Anyhow, Welcome and join in on the fun.

JNL

Cyburbian
Not many people get to say "Well actually, it is rocket science...!"

Welcome aboard RocketScientist :)

el Guapo said:
Dude,
Welcome, and whatcha workin' on? Anything cool? Anything you can tell us about?
I've been working on putting 747 engines on the C-5 military transport, because we thought that would be fun! It's also supposed to save money. Our plans on mounting a deathray are on hold for now.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Howdy RS! Welcome from Florida, it's good to see another poster from the south (we are so few, compared to all those mid-westerners...)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome aboard! I come from a big family of rocket scientist geeks (a few work for JPL), but I'm adopted so the math-whiz gene wasn't passed down. :)

SGB

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Howdy RS! Welcome from Florida, it's good to see another poster from the south (we are so few, compared to all those mid-westerners...)
[ot]Hey, at least the southerners still outnumber the Chileans.
(Sorry, SkeL!) ;)[/ot]

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings! Make a wish!

I wonder how you will effect the Throbing Brain of Cyburbia(TM) ? ;-) ?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
RocketScientist said:
I've been working on putting 747 engines on the C-5 military transport, because we thought that would be fun! It's also supposed to save money. Our plans on mounting a deathray are on hold for now.
Ever put a JATO rocket on an old Buick? ;)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
RocketScientist said:
I think you might be fast on your way to becoming EG's new best friend! ;-) :)

Tranplanner said:

I've think about it often, but haven't managed to get my buick off the blocks in my front yard. ;)

Do you know what the last words of most Southernerners are?

"Watch this?!"

Note: This mostly applied to rednecks, but aerospace engineers with too much time on their hands are at risk.
;)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
They tried that on "mythbusters". The Chevy didn't fly, it just went very fast....

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
how about a jet engine powered fire truck...now if i could only convince the comissioners to fund it...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
RocketScientist said:
Do you know what the last words of most _______are?
"Watch this?!" ;)
?Aren't those of the next Darwin Award Winner?

H

Cyburbian
RocketScientist said:
...(Still waiting on our mass transit to expand up I-75)...
Will never happen. Cobb County will not allow MARTA to enter the county. It is a battle that has been going on for years. Cobb county actually uses the absence of MARTA as a marketing "plus" to attract residents.

This is just one of the down falls of having so many local gov'ts (counties) in one giant metro area. i.e., there is 0 to no "team work" in the metro area. Every small county is in economic competition. :(

Mid-town is a great area.

Welcome :b:

biscuit

Cyburbian
Welcome from a Southerner in quasi-exile.

Rocket science you say... I once attached a couple of bottle rockets to the underside of my Radio-Flyer in an attempt to make it go faster down a hill. ;-)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Welcome. Congratulations on investing your intelligence in something other than planning. Can I borrow some money for smokes? ;)