• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

New museum for the Mall?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
New Meuseum for the Mall?

http://www.planetizen.com/news/item.php?id=10324

Having read this write up this AM I have very mixed feelings on the issue. I go down to the Mall frequently and love its grand open feel and the simi undaunted views of the Capital and the Lincoln monument. I have a problem with stuff being built right in the middle of the Mall. A couple things are going in now and they just look horrid and stick out.

I think Id be ok with any new item, regardless of what it was, being along the sides like the Smithsonian is or other monuments but in the middle bothers me to no end.

The racially motivated side of me says if anyone should be vested for a better "view " it should be the Native American meu but honestly I think putting ANYTHING on the Mall takes away from its intent and form.

There is a sense of place designed into the Mall-why clutter it up?

Thoughts?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I very strongly agree. The Mall is itself a sacred place and should not be altered. Place any new buildings or monuments around it, but leave it be.

jresta

Cyburbian
hey - if DC is running out of room for monuments, museums, etc . . . we'll take it! We have a grand, old boulevard that's mostly empty and the city has been trying to think of ways to fill it up.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
I very strongly agree. The Mall is itself a sacred place and should not be altered. Place any new buildings or monuments around it, but leave it be.
I second the feeling.

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
in Salem, MA there is a museum tied into a local mall downton. the area around is a pedestrian only area normally filled with tourists and locals. from what I know and through living there the concept works really well. its a nix mix.