• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

New planner in the ranks!

martini

Cyburbian
I am proud to announce the arrival of the current and future queen of our world, Sidra Sophia [last name mod deleted]
! She was born May 20, 2004 and weighed 8lbs 9.3oz, was 20 inches and instantly changed my life. We're not so sure where the hair came from either...Lisa's blond and me, well, you can see the shine.:-D Mommy and I are at home recovering from an emergency C-section and Sidra is simply running our lives. Couldn't be happier either.

To see them bigger, click on them!

Thanks for all the kind words and wishes!

MOD NOTE: Martini. I editted out the last name. I dont think you want all that floating around on the net.... If you want it back in, PM me and I can re-edit.

-Chet

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Congratulations! She is beautiful and has so much hair!!! I wish you all the best. Make sure you pamper mom as much as possible for at least the next 6 weeks. :) I love those chubby cheeks!! Good luck.

BKM

Cyburbian
Congrats! What is the history of her names, they are very interesting!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
congrats!!!

She is beautiful and a super-cute! :)

EDIT: Warning - enlarging the first picture is dangerous. make sure you have sunglasses nearby. :-D ;-)

jestes

Cyburbian
Congratulations!

I can assure you that life will not be the same from this point forward.

Enjoy your new life with her to the fullest.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Way to go Mrs. and Mr. Martini. Her hair will probably fall out in the next couple of months anyway. I piece of advice. Give Mrs. Martini lots of opportunities to sleep. I helped with twins and sleep deprivation is the worst part of early parenthood.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Cute Kid... Now just think, in 12-17 years from now, you get to scare away potential boyfriends.

*If you live by the woods, just walk to the edge of the trees, stare out into the forest and say "There is a lot of land back here, no one will ever hear you screem" then look at him, smile, and say, "well I guess we should get back up to the house... my daugter is waiting for her date."

Congrads!!!

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
She is beautiful.
I can provide you with an "application to date my daughter" form that is a hoot. Takes three years to process, kinda like applications for rezonings and land use changes.

Rem

Cyburbian
Wondeful news martini, congratulations to you and Mrs M. Sidra is very lovely by the way.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Absolutely wonderful! Congrats and the very best wishes to all involved.

BTW, my daughter was born with a very full head of hair and everyone said -- it'll fall out. Well, other than your basic crib crown, she kept all of it and it's the first thing people comment about now when they see it -- "Oh my, what wonderful hair!" So, whatever comes, enjoy!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Congrats!
Take good care of Mrs M and Sidra.
Ditto what BKM asked about her name.
Sorry about your hair.

Last edited:

Habanero

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Congrats!
Take good care of Mrs M and Sidra.
Ditto what BKM asked about the her name.
Sorry about your hair.
I'm not sorry about your hair, men without hair are sexy.

martini

Cyburbian
No, problem about the name thing Chet, thanks...

The names? Sidra is Latin, meaning "from the stars". The spanish meaing basically boils down to "hard apple Cider". This is kinda funny from the standpoint that we were making fun of Gwynith Paltrow naming her kid Apple. Sophia is a family name from Lisa's G'ma and Great G'ma. Meaning is something like "Wisdom of women" or somesuch. So, we have wisdom from the stars in our arms.

Thanks for the comments! So far, mom is very well taken care of. We've had tons of people over, bringing us food for later in the week. I'm gonna get fat... |-)

Budgie

Cyburbian
martini said:
We've had tons of people over, bringing us food for later in the week.
Yes, but keep in mind that too many people over will be disruptive during a period of time where quiet and privacy are most important. You can get too much of a good thing when it comes to visitors.

martini said:
Sophia is a family name from Lisa's G'ma and Great G'ma. Meaning is something like "Wisdom of women" or somesuch.
Sophia is the Greek word for "wisdom".

And it is a lovely name.

(Trivia: "sophomore" in high school or college indicates that you are learned enough to make a fool of yourself. It translates as "wise moron". :-D)

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Congratulations - she is beautiful!! I love her name :)

Josie was born with a ton of hair and still has all of it (except for a little bald spot in back). So, Sidra might end up keeping it all. It's fun to make little mohawks and mullets in the bathtub :-D

biscuit

Cyburbian
Congrats to you and the Mrs.Martini. She's so cute that it's almost sickening. :-D. Oh, and Sidra is a really cool name.

SGB

Cyburbian
Congratulations, martini!

Baby girls rock! Ours is now almost 8 weeks old, and is the "apple" of my eye. ;-)

I can tell your daughter is already hard at work wrapping you around her little finger.

She's gorgeous! Congratulations, and I love the name.

as for the hair - I'm jealous. Jack is almost 6 mos and still hasn't grown any hair yet.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Congrats to you and Lisa. Beautiful little girl! :)

Makes me even more excited for November (Planner Groupie's due date is Nov. 15) when I see other babies! :D

NHPlanner

Staff member
SW MI Planner said:
Hey, you didn't post any pictures :( Or maybe I missed them? Anywho, congrats to you too SGB!!
You missed this pic of Baby SGB....
1152chloe1bydad-med.jpg

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Aw, those are gorgeous kids. Congrats SGB and martini and moms/dads. After having two boys, our most recent (now 2 yrs old) is my daughter, and she owns me. Blessings to all of you.

boiker

Cyburbian
congratulations! nothing like a baby to help you loose what remains of your hair. ;-)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Congratulations! Little girls are great. I've got 2 and don't feel any need to "try for a boy."

martini

Cyburbian
Thanks SGB, and yours is a cutie too! This fatherhood thing is kinda neat. Its only been 5 days, but I love it!

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
Alright, I have to ask...How much heartburn did Mrs M. have with the adorable Sidra? With the whole wives tale "the more heartburn you have, the more hair the baby will have", I have been plagued with it so bad, I want to tear out my throat! Even water does a number on me!!

Habanero

Cyburbian
Planner Groupie said:
Alright, I have to ask...How much heartburn did Mrs M. have with the adorable Sidra? With the whole wives tale "the more heartburn you have, the more hair the baby will have", I have been plagued with it so bad, I want to tear out my throat! Even water does a number on me!!
Where have I been, I had no idea! Congrats! :-D

jmf

Cyburbian
Planner Groupie said:
I have had no heartburn - but I am fairly active and busy - I wonder if this makes a difference. I read somewhere that if the heartburn is bad to try not to sit down and veg after a meal but to go for a walk. Pretty hard around here right now though - I think I am getting moldy from all the damp and rainy weather.

BTW - Sidra is just perfect!

Forget about planning, Cyburbia's about Babies and Nuptials! Congrats to you and your blessed family martini. :-D

Planner Groupie said:
Minimal heartburn here, except for a memorable bout caused by PBJ, and here's the result, 5 months later:

sorry - i just couldn't resist!

otterpop

Cyburbian
Congrats. Babies are pretty cool. Especially when they are tiny and need you so much.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I'm so amazed with all of the beautiful babies, we must have some fine looking Cyburbanites here!

otterpop said:
Congrats. Babies are pretty cool. Especially when they are tiny and need you so much.
Yes: it's a very humanizing experience. They don't have to be PC and worry that 24/7 demand for all of your attention is somehow "co-dependent". :)

martini

Cyburbian
Planner Groupie said:
Lisa had some heartburn, but not too much. And it was all later in the pregnancy. She couldn't eat onions at all untill the last weekend too. Other than that, she really didn't have any problems. No real cravings either. There was about a week or two where Mint icecream was needed, but that was during her heartburn stage. She used the icecream to chill out basically. Good luck on the birth and wedding PG and NHP!

NHPlanner

Staff member
martini said:
Lisa had some heartburn, but not too much. And it was all later in the pregnancy. She couldn't eat onions at all untill the last weekend too. Other than that, she really didn't have any problems. No real cravings either. There was about a week or two where Mint icecream was needed, but that was during her heartburn stage. She used the icecream to chill out basically. Good luck on the birth and wedding PG and NHP!
Really only the birth....wedding might be something to discuss in the future....after all, we're both still pretty fresh off our divorces. ;-)