• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

New Planning Magazine - Transportation Special Edition

el Guapo

Capitalist
This month's edition was all about transportation. Yeah! I read it cover to cover while waiting for my son at his dentist's office yesterday. I sense some improvment in the magazine. Is it wrong of me to having a very small part of me look forward to its arrival? Is it just the afterglow of all thoose hours in prep for the AICP?

http://www.planning.org/planning/nonmember/default.htm The website was not up to date when I visited, but you should expect an update soon.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Maybe they lurk around in here and see what all of us members complain about. First it was the crappy cover, which changed within a month or so of our cover discussion and contest. Then we complained that the Cover was good, but the content stunk and they seem to be addressing that. We should have started a Cyburbia magazine instead of feeding the APA people all these ideas.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Do you have any plans for your issue when you're done with it el Guapo? Do you collect them like Frank Costanza does TV Guides, or do they end up out in the outhouse? If you just toss them, I would gladly take this issue off your hands when you're done with it :)

Budgie

Cyburbian
The May 2003 Planning magazine, published by the American Planning Association, is dedicated to transportation issues. The first article entitled "The Future of Transportation - Will the auto and airplane reign supreme?" includes the following text.

"What might the next big thing be? Among the possibilities is the nifty Segway, the 'gyro-scooter' that takes off in the direction it's pointed in. Or it could be the Solotrek Helicopter Backpack, which so far exists only in prototype versions. Strap it on, and the rotating blades do the work. There's also the Airboard, which hovers four inches off the ground and costs a mere $15,000. Of all these, the Segway actually seems to be living up to some of its hype."

Message to planners, BELIEVE THE HYPE !!!!

It's good to see Patrick Hare in the viewpoints section. Locational efficient mortgages make perfect economic sense, but lenders don't like to think outside the box because of risk. Of course it's this same fear of risk that leads developers to continue building sterile cookie-cutter subdivisions.

"Any town that doesn't have sidewalks doesn't love its children."
- Margaret Mead

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Maybe I helped a bit. In Denver I had a long talk with one of the editors, I told him I quit reading the thing, and gave many of the reasons spouted on cyburbia. Perhaps some of it sunk in.

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
mike gurnee said:
Maybe I helped a bit. In Denver I had a long talk with one of the editors, I told him I quit reading the thing, and gave many of the reasons spouted on cyburbia. Perhaps some of it sunk in.
the latest issued floored me..its GREAT! I too noticed something special about it. this issue is lots of fun!!!

green lizard

Budgie said:
Message to planners, BELIEVE THE HYPE !!!!

Hype is the right word to use here.

Planners are being fed enough hype already.

Enough said about the wiz-bang, invention-of-the-century.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have to agree with the thought that Planning is getting better. Years ago I used to save articles from the magazine. I have saved very few from the past few years, but noticed I have clipped a couple out of recent editions. Hopefully, the changes keep coming.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Do you have any plans for your issue when you're done with it el Guapo? Do you collect them like Frank Costanza does TV Guides, or do they end up out in the outhouse? If you just toss them, I would gladly take this issue off your hands when you're done with it :)
Hey tran... I just realized that I have an extra copy. If you don't have one yet, I can send it to you. PM me if interested.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael Stumpf said:
Years ago I used to save articles from the magazine. I have saved very few from the past few years, but noticed I have clipped a couple out of recent editions.
Guilty confession: I have not thrown out a single Planning magazine in over 15 years.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
saving Planning Magazine combined with all those saved National Geographics,

the accumulative weight may upset the balance and rotation of the earth!

Repo Man

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Hey tran... I just realized that I have an extra copy. If you don't have one yet, I can send it to you. PM me if interested.
You must have recieved my copy, as I have yet to recieve it (2 months later). :) I contacted APA about my missing issue but never heard back from them. The postman must have left it in the bathroom. Luckily I was able to read all of the articles on the web.

JNL

Cyburbian
I have read and enjoyed several of the articles from this edition. They seem to be concise, insightful viewpoints on some topical issues - such as 'How to make Transit-Oriented Development Work'. I thought the discussion in this item about the difference between transit-oriented and merely transit-adjacent development was a useful distinction to keep in mind.

Jeff

Cyburbian
EG...

We pass the AICP test and now you read Planning from cover to cover? What is this world coming too?