• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 New to Cyburbia

Crazeeeguy

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Cyburbia Forums; I'll tell you a little about me then ask for a little advice. I'm originally from outside of Houston, Texas in a rural town increasingly threatened by suburban and rural sprawl of the western suburbs. I am currently an senior at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, where I'm teaching a class on creating Sustainable Cities. I will graduate in May with a degree in Public Policy Studies

I've just recently completed the application process to Masters programs in City or Urban/Regional Planning Programs across the country, and have been accepted to 9 of the 10 of the schools I applied to (still waiting to hear back from Berkeley :p )

I'm trying to make a final decision between UNC-Chapel Hill and Portland State University. Both of these schools have offered me full tuition scholarships and substantial stipends to attend, and after my visit at UNC, I was really convinced about the quality of their program.

Can anyone offer me some insights into Portland State's program, or give me any advice on making this important and difficult decision?

Thanks!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome to cyburbia! Congrats your acceptances/scholarships... way to go! As to your question about PSU, I have no idea. I heard good things about it when I lived in Portland, but I really don't know too much about the program itself. Good luck in your grad studies :)

Welcome :)

I don't know much about those schools, but did you check out the Student Forum? There may be some discussion them.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from the bottom of Lake Michigan - Chicago!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Welcome to Cyburbia, from somewhere between biscuit and JNA. Anxiously awaiting "Brood X" in seven weeks.

Sorry that I can't answer your questions about PSU or UNC. Is there a specialty you are interested in that might point you one way or another?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
ON Topic
Welcome
from west of, down river of, 1 hr behind, but still in IN as is Gedunker.

Off Topic
Gedunker said:
Anxiously awaiting "Brood X" in seven weeks.?
Who is this "Brood X" that you speak of?

JNL

Cyburbian
Hi slappy the squirrel... um I mean Crazeeeguy :) I looked at your website and watched the video 'How sprawl affects us all' - nice work!! I have been involved in a research program on Sustainable Cities and Settlements. As I am a New Zealander I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on post-grad programs! But good luck with your studies.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
[OT]
JNA said:
Who is this "Brood X" that you speak of?
"Brood X" is the arrival of the 17-year cicadas in mid-May. Reports in todays The (Louisville) Courier-Journal indicate that brood ten is the largest with infestation of about 1.5 million cicadas per acre, throughout Indiana, Kentucky and parts of Illinois, Ohio, W. Virginia and NJ, PA. Gedunker hates cicadas:-0 [/OT]

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Welcome and greetings from New Orleans.

Since you've already visited UNC, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with the Dean or Asst. Dean of PSU's program to address your concerns, questions, etc., if you plan to visit there also.

Welcome, from a Georgia born California convert. :-D

Gedunker said:
[OT]
"Brood X" is the arrival of the 17-year cicadas in mid-May. Reports in todays The (Louisville) Courier-Journal indicate that brood ten is the largest with infestation of about 1.5 million cicadas per acre, throughout Indiana, Kentucky and parts of Illinois, Ohio, W. Virginia and NJ, PA. Gedunker hates cicadas:-0 [/OT]
Can we take up a collection to buy Gedunker some ear plugs?

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Welcome to Cyburbia Crazeeeguy.

I had thought of taking up the same Username before plunging into the world of Cyburbia. How Crazy are you BTW.

Since I have absolutely no idea about the educational programmes in the US, I can offer no advice to you.,But you'll plenty and useful advice from the others. You seem to have made up your mind already looks like.

Have a great time in Cyburbia and all the best for the City/Urban/Regional Planning programme wherever you join.

Zenith

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Like, welcome, crazeeeeeeeeeeeguy. Are you a "Wild and Crazy Guy"?
Well are you? :-}

Hey there Crazeeeguy from Sydney.

Looking forward to some wacky, zany and kooky posts and/or threads by you 'cos u r crazcrazeeeeeeeeeeey ;-)

Crazeeeguy

Craziness

Um.... not quite a wild and crazy guy.... but it's been a username since I was 14, so...

Anyway, to update everyone, I'm headed to UNC-Chapel Hill for a MCRP. I'm really excited!

Zenith

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
As a matter of fact, .........

Less than 100 posts till I'm in the Clube.
Say wha? I was asking Crazeeeguy re "Well are you?"....BTW what is a clube? lol