• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

New to forums

chris2plan

Hello. This is my first post in Cyburbia Forums. I hope to use the forums as a source of useful information relating to land use. Please - no yawning.

I'm a Jersey girl looking looking at various methods of developing a build-out analysis. Any ideas? Supposedly our state is supposed to reach build-out in less than 20 years.

::) Nice meeting you.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome, Chris2plan. There's a wealth of knowledge stored in Cyburbia's collective "throbbing brain". I can't help you with the analysis though, that's not an issue on our planning radar yet.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Welcome

[ot]Bturk- Dude you said throbbing to the new girl! He he he...;)[/ot]

Welcome and please excuse us - some of us are off our meds.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Welcome aboard Chris.

You might want to check out the Orton Family Foundation in Vermont, they do quite a bit wih community visualization....

www.orton.org

chris2plan

Thanks, NHPlanner. We already attempted to use CommunityViz.. The NJ Office of Smart Growth obtained a grant from the Orton Family Foundation and our office recieved the CommunityViz software on a trial project. When we upgraded our GIS software (ESRI Arc GIS), we no longer could run the CommunityViz program.

Our GIS folks were not happy with CommunityViz anyway. Some technical difficulties, I believe.

I am looking for a formula for non-residential build-out. Hunterdon County, NJ came up with a formula, but when we tested it against some real life scenarios, it greatly overestimated the amount of total floor area.

Here it is: Allowable floor area = (Lot area x % Max. Impervious Coverage)/((1/ # of stories) + 2)

Assumptions:
1 parking space per 200 sf of total floor area.
1 parking space generates 400 sf of impervious parking and driveway area. Therefore, the ratio of parking to building is 2 to 1. Remember your algebra? It finally came in handy.

Welcome Chris! Ah... Morristown. The firm I used to work for HQ-ed in Morristown. I just might still be able to remember the zip from all the Fed Exes I sent there. Anyway, we're always glad to have a little more estrogen on the boards.

Kelly

prudence

Cyburbian
chris2plan said:
Hello. This is my first post in Cyburbia Forums. I hope to use the forums as a source of useful information relating to land use. Please - no yawning.

I'm a Jersey girl looking looking at various methods of developing a build-out analysis. Any ideas? Supposedly our state is supposed to reach build-out in less than 20 years.

::) Nice meeting you.
Welcome to the chaos. You will divide your time here laughing and banging your head against your desk.

As for the Jersey build-out dilemma, you need lebensraum...living space. I advise you to organize your State--snappy uniforms always helps the cause--an start working your way west. Does Jersey have a navy? Doesn't matter...teamsters control all the docks. Now, don't look back until you hit Chicago.

Again, welcome.

chris2plan

You all are a laugh riot. And my computer-geek income generating husband thinks he is the only one having fun in chat rooms.

And a note to Dear Prudence: I am first generation born in U.S. of German immigrants. No need to translate. Schuessle.

RE: Westward Ho! New Jerseyites are already moving west into Pennsylvania because of skyrocketing housing prices and manageable commutes to employment centers. The State planners want to move people back into the cities. However, how many people can you cram into areas that may be already overcrowded?

Jeff

Cyburbian
You know what I think about Jersey??

I say cut all the bridges and let jersey float off into the ocean, turn Philly into the shore.... :)

Nah, just kidding, my parents live in Cape May, and I do go down there every so often.