• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

New to Planning

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Hey,

I am new to Cyburbia,com, and looking to make new contacts in the Planning Field. I graduated from a university in the Midwest with a B.S. in planning in the spring of 2002, and currently I working for an eastern city of 81,000 people. I would love to be able to move to Chicago or some other larger Midwestern city some time.
I am thrilled with the idea of new urbanism, but I am stuck trying to incorporate many of the concepts into a built historic environment, in a city that is going down hill quickly. I enjoy meeting new people, and went to the 2001 and 2002 APA national conferences. Even though I met a lot of people there, I have not had the opportunity to keep in touch with any of them. So I am on here now.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome to the boards Michaelskis. Its good to have another corn fed midwesterner in here.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome!

It sounds like you have some big challenges heading your way. I hope the forums help you out with that.

The cyburbia clan is a fun group... too bad you didn't go to the 2003 convention for the annual ale fest (or whatever we called it this year). Stick around for the next bash in Washington DC in 2004. :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Welcome to Cyburbia. I'm sure you'll make some excellent contacts here. Check out the Kiosk for potential jobs in the midwest.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Howdy and welcome! We like (well at least I do anyway) cornfed midwesterners around here! Where are you at and what school did you go to (I'm nosy, what can I say?)

donk

Cyburbian
welcome aboard. I too am in a City in decline, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Welcome, everyone seems to be friendly on the boards, so enjoy yourself.
One of my first job offers after college was in Reading. The money was good but not knowing the area (not close enough to Philly) I turned it down. Sounds like I made the right decision.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Oh you don't know the half of it.... we are just the other side of hell.

Did I mention I want to move to the Chicago area?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
michaelskis said:
I'll keep an eye open for you. Are you looking chicago proper or just the region?

The Wisconsin job board is here and occassionally posts northern ilinois positions.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
I used to think you were OK, but WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!

Chicago?

Think real hard before doing it.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Trust me, it can not get much worse than it is here... the sad thing is we try to make a difference, but people do not want things to get better.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Oh you don't know the half of it.... we are just the other side of hell.

A little late getting to you, but welcome.

Chicago -- a great city, but sprawltopia in the suburbs. Not the best environment for planning.

Remember, this is the place Mike Royko once said should have the motto, "where's mine?" Trust me, everyone's looking for it.