• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

new to this stuff

DA Monkey

Cyburbian
Hello

Im new to Cyburbia forums and thought I would put a toe in the water to test it before I took the plunge.

Be gentle, this is my first time. 8-{}

el Guapo

Capitalist
Welcome aboard.

Welcome to Cyburbia Island. I am your substitute host el Guapo. Make yourself at home and have fun.

P.S. Please don't feed the Canadians.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome! Lol we dont bite unless you
1) ask
2) start screwing with folks and calling folks names

please feel free to join in our fun and games (and serious planner stuff) we hope it will make what might otherwise be a dull day a bit better *with a few coffee snarffles thrown in*

PG

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome powerplan.

And please do feed the Canadians. One cannot live on poutine alone. (ewwwww)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
nerudite said:
One cannot live on poutine alone. (ewwwww)
I know what I want for lunch now! Shame you can't get a decent one in Toronto though. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm....chipstand poutine.

Welcome powerplan! Throw a shrimp on the barbie for me, eh?

jmf

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:

I know what I want for lunch now! Shame you can't get a decent one in Toronto though. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm....chipstand poutine.

Welcome powerplan! Throw a shrimp on the barbie for me, eh?
I just had kunch, not poutine, but it still makes me drool. The first time I had it was near Joliette, Quebec with cheese curds, mmmmmmm.

Around here it is mostly just mozza, still pretty good but never with coated/crispy fries, that is really gross.

What variations have you seen/tried? In PEI, they have fries, gravy, cheese, peas and hamburger. In CB, fries, gravy, hamburger. They were ok, kind of like shepherds pie. Then there are all the variations with pizza sauce, I haven't tried those.

donk

Cyburbian
Cheese curds make the poutine.

Typed in poutine and found vegan poutine, soy curd and BBQ sauce, now there is gross.

and hello to powerplan.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
They make a really high-end poutine here at a restaurant called "Canoe" (where all the banking execs eat). It's got slices of duck and mushrooms in it. Never had it, sounds ugh.

Gimme chipstand poutine, everytime. Couldn't find any today, doh!

DA Monkey

Cyburbian
Thanks everyone

I will take the advice about not feeding the Canadians, although Im not sure of the difference between them and Americans - you all sound the same.

How did you guys end up goin off about food and what is "chipstand poutine"?

As to throwing another shrimp on the barby - who would do that, shrimps are awful - only good in fried rice. I prefer prawns marinated in thai green chilli.

Should I be using some "ockerisms" in this stuff - like G'day and "sheila" or "she'll be jake mate"?

el Guapo

Capitalist
See? You can't keep those darn near-Artic Planners from going off about food no one has ever seen or heard of. I think they make the names of these strange cheese based deep fried dishes up just to torment the rest of the world with their culinary choices.

Oh, and yes, please play up to all the Aussie stereotypes - we especially want to hear about your gator wrestling matches to settle land development disputes. Oh, and please post photos of your Outback Truck with real Kangaroo skin seat covers. ;)

DA Monkey

Cyburbian
El Guapo said:
See? You can't keep those darn near-Artic Planners from going off about food no one has ever seen or heard of. I think they make the names of these strange cheese based deep fried dishes up just to torment the rest of the world with their culinary choices.

Oh, and yes, please play up to all the Aussie stereotypes - we especially want to hear about your gator wrestling matches to settle land development disputes. Oh, and please post photos of your Outback Truck with real Kangaroo skin seat covers. ;)
Funny you should mention outback trucks and whatnot.

I have a bone garden in my front yard - I collect the skulls and interesting bones of the various man eating pigs I find out in the bush (my backyard). I also caught a really cool snake yesterday, the dirty little tyke was molesting my pet bunyip. I will see if I can cop some piccies to post here.

donk

Cyburbian
EG, without us you would not have butter tarts, nanaimo bars, chicken bones or even your beloved hershey chocolate bars.

Poutine with duck sounds gross, the mushrooms on the other hand sound good.

I have to agree about the BBQ seafood, steamed lobster and shrimp are way better than BBQ.

powerplan said:

Funny you should mention outback trucks and whatnot.

I have a bone garden in my front yard - I collect the skulls and interesting bones of the various man eating pigs I find out in the bush (my backyard). I also caught a really cool snake yesterday, the dirty little tyke was molesting my pet bunyip. I will see if I can cop some piccies to post here.
Croikie! :)

Don't feel the need to play to their stereotypes - everyone is just giddy that we've got our first Aussie that will post back to us. JNL, our New Zealander, was on the receiving end for her Introduce Yourself post.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Poutine: Take an order of chips (fries for the Yanks), and add beef gravy and melted cheese curds. Yum! Chipstand poutine is the best, in my opinion - you can't beat a chipstand for greasy, fresh-cut french fries. Getting a poutine fix from NY Fries, KFC, or Burger King just isn't the same...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
El Guapo said:
So, what is Paul Hogan like in real life? He seems like kind of a knob now that his 15 minutes of fame is over. ;)

Oh, and welcome.

statler

Cyburbian
donk said:
EG, without us you would not have butter tarts, nanaimo bars, chicken bones or even your beloved hershey chocolate bars.

Poutine with duck sounds gross, the mushrooms on the other hand sound good.

I have to agree about the BBQ seafood, steamed lobster and shrimp are way better than BBQ.
Chicken bones? You mean without you Canucks all our poor chickens would look like this?

:}

donk

Cyburbian
Chicken bones are a candy made by ganong. They are a hard cinnamon outer filled with chocolate. They are a maritime thing. They are also really gross, says someone with an incurable sweet tooth.

If I can find a photo of them I'll post it.

They are the pink things in the background

Here is a link describing them in the inventor's own words

el Guapo

Capitalist
donk said:
You know I tease with only love in my heart for my brothers and sisters to the Great White North? Your offering of Rush alone was enough to endear me to your funny yet sanguine ways. So soldier on you guardians of the DEW line, you keepers of the good side of the falls, you population of volk genetically predisposed to a higher level of production of short comedians!

donk

Cyburbian
EG, I know deep down in your heart you want to come live in a place where all guns are registered, health care (if you can call what we have care) is free, universities are inexpensive, people with PRIDE are elected to Parliament and taxes are high.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
donk said:
EG, I know deep down in your heart you want to come live in a place where all guns are registered, health care (if you can call what we have care) is free, universities are inexpensive, people with PRIDE are elected to Parliament and taxes are high.
Massachusetts?