• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

New urbanism affordable?

Vlaude

Cyburbian
I have recently visited some GREAT!!! Examples (in my opinion) of New Urbanism. I visited State of Thomas, Addison Circle, and Legacy Trail all in the Dallas, TX area. The areas were great...

WHY SO EXPENSIVE??? I would like to see some examples of New Urbanism that can be marketed to the Middle Class... Are there any examples of this in the mid-west or even in the United States... I would appreciate any information or insight on the idea of affordable new urbanism designed areas...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It seems that most New Urbanist development targets the upper-middle to upper income brackets, which seems somewhat odd. One would think that higher densities, narrower streets, and etc. would reduce the developer's costs, thereby resulting in more affordable homes. Still, some affordable development, mostly infill, is being built with New Ubanist concepts. So far, I have only seen it done by the non-profit development community. Check out the Inner City Redevelopment Corporation and CityHomes, both in Milwaukee. Both were featured in articles by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal this past year.

Vlaude

Cyburbian
EXACTLY my thoughts... With higher densities, narrower streets, typically smaller units, etc...

The construction cost should be minimized as a whole. It seems obvious to me that it is the vogue thing to do. The demand for such units in the Dallas area is fairly high, thus driving the prices up, up, and up. I will check out the site. It is a shame, once the market cools off to some degree, we will see more of these types of developments take place for the middle income bracket (I hope, it makes sense... Right?). I appreciate your input.