• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

New urbanist affordable housing models

David Danenfelzer

Cyburbian
I am looking for some good housing designs that would match New Urbanist and Traditional Neighborhood forms that are affordable to build. This is for homes that would cost around 40 to 60 dollars per square foot to build.

Much thanks to those who reply.

David Cayford

I would like to see a renaisance of Man in nature which recognizes our needs for privacy and society something like the tenements of the city where you could hibernate in your home or you could go out and see your friends at the tearoom or the par
k.A modern tenement would also be very energy efficient and water conserving with a raincatching roof and graywater reuse,composting toilets and lots of plants for fresh ir,photovoltaics and win dchargers,thermal mass and passive solar,solar hw and a balance of age groups and sexes.

I grew up in the tenements in massachusetts but i moved out to the state of sprawl"california" now i appreciate the thought and care that went in to the design of those warrens of mankind,the alleys and courtyards,the backporches,the skylites in the stairwells,the trash chutes builtin,the sliding doors between the livingroom and dining rooms but they were oil heated and therefore expensive to heat.with all their thermal mass they could be solarized and superinsulated and if you used awnin
gs over the windows in summer easy to stay cool.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Housing affordability is a problem when the least expensive lots are $30,000. One of the most promising aspects of new urbanism is a design which makes more efficient use of the land (smaller lots) and reduces the need for overbuilt infrastructure (narrower streets). Here in Wisconsin we're seeing aspects of the new urbanism creeping into traditional subdivision design. That melding of the two is likely to be the common form.

I am right now trying to put together an affordable, owner-occupied subdivision of home costing about 75% of what is found on the market. This will be on a reclaimed brownfield, include attached and detached units, a neighborhood park along a creek, and linkages via a bike/pedestrian path to parks, the downtown and the university campus. Other new urban elements will include porches, recessed garages (sorry, no alleys) and possibly narrower streets and reduced setbacks.

This project began in 1997. If all goes well, construction will start in 2002. Until then, don't expect to find a new home for under $130,000 here.

David Cayford

The average house in my area is $320.000 and climbing fast,and the homes going up are $500.000 so called workforce housing is planned for the teachers and the fireman and police to be subsidized by the taxpayers because they qualify as low income at $60,000.there is no very low income housing for the clerks and mechanics,and the cheapest 1 bedroom apartment is 750 a mo.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
What area is that in?

I'm in Denver, Colorado -- average house price US$250,000, median US$200,000. I'm fortunate enough to have bought a house before my formerly iffy neighborhood became "hot." There aren't many planning jobs in the area as of late, but I've been told area agencies are having a difficult time filling vacancies, because salaries aren't commensurate with the cost of living.

I'm considering a move to Kansas City -- it offers many of the amenities that Denver does (excepting the mountains, of course), but it has a housing stock that is still very affordable. Cash in, get out -- lots of old-timers 'round here are doing just that, since the Denver that they grew up with has long since given way to the upscale smooth-jazz listening crowd, the folks who drive their SUVs two blocks to Whole Foods to buy a jar of organic free-range salsa or whatever.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Daniel Danenfelzer,

Are you still out there? There are ways to obtain "affordable" housing. Contact the National Home Builders Association and the Manufactured Housing Institute, either locally or through their web sites.