• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

New word for me

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Apparently, Japanning is an allowed use in our manufacturing district. I had to look that one up.....

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I worked with an elderly zoning code that regulated "jook joints."

Buffalo's Municipal Code goes into great detail about regulating "pherenologists."

Let's not forget the classic archaic use still found in many zoning codes ... "haberdashery."

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Dan said:
Let's not forget the classic archaic use still found in many zoning codes ... "haberdashery."
"Hatblocking" is only permitted in the C-II district here.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
giff57 said:
Some sort of finishing that makes the furnature look Asian.
Yes, but how often do the Tarding Spaces folks come around?

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Your typos continue to crack me up!
LOL... I agree. I think that's the best typo I've seen yet. Even better than clube or laefest. :)

JNL

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Buffalo's Municipal Code goes into great detail about regulating "pherenologists."
We looked at phrenology briefly in Criminological Theory... Why so much attention on regulating them???

(phrenology , for all you word-lovers, is the study of the shape and size of the cranium as a supposed indication of character and mental faculties)

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Our old ordinance (finally amended out of existence in 2001) allowed "milk distributing stations" in the Commercial District. And we are not in Wisconsin. How milk distributing was different and listed separately from dairies is beyond me.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
DecaturHawk said:
Our old ordinance (finally amended out of existence in 2001) allowed "milk distributing stations" in the Commercial District. And we are not in Wisconsin. How milk distributing was different and listed separately from dairies is beyond me.

Sorry, had to be done. Smite the moderator at will...

DA Monkey

Cyburbian
We have one zone that allows any premises used for the purpose of conducting Fishmongering. As an intresting fact, you are also allowed to undertake Hosiery Manufacturing in the same zone.