• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

New York City - The Big Snapple

tsc

Cyburbian
he probably made some deal to try and keep Snapple in our area....they have major headquarters in NYMetro....

Rem

Cyburbian
Yeah I don't like it. Most of our stadiums are now renamed - except for cricket grounds where tradition is valued.

One of the most annoying aspects of this is that the names change year to year as well. Our local rugby league stadium became 'energyAustralia Stadium' this year after several years as 'Marathon Stadium'. The commercial broadcasters are then (apparently) obliged to use the sponsor's name in every second sentence. In Australia we have a government funded media organisation (the ABC) that is prohibited from giving commercial endorsements. As they cover a lot of sport they confuse the mix even more by always using the pre-sponsorship name of these places.

jresta

Cyburbian
satire really is dead.

wow.

I'm waiting for the first city to sell its naming rights. Maybe it will be in South Carolina - "Welcome to Westvaco City"

I understand that NYC is in a spot right now and needs the money but rather than asking bigger questions like, "why do we have these budget problems more often than we don't?"
Rather than asking, "Why in 2004 is our economy still subject to these boom/bust cycles?"

Bloomberg&Co. ask "what can we sell?"

Cullen

Here in albany, pepsi and coca cola have been dueling it out. The arena used to be called the knickerbocker arena, now it is the pepsi arena. Coca cola bought the sale rights for the State University, so there are only coke related products on the campus. I know at schools and colleges this has been a common occurence for some time. Hey maybe it will actually help make sports arenas add money to the community instead of being an overall drain on resources like they have been found to be.

also

jresta said:
I'm waiting for the first city to sell its naming rights. Maybe it will be in South Carolina - "Welcome to Westvaco City"
its not quite a big city, but a town in oregon renamed their town half or half.com oregon after the website, upon financial suggestion. check out their website right here. Kinda funny.

http://half.ebay.com/town/

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
jresta said:

Great. Now all of us in Central FL can get used to living in Disneyville...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Money talks. Get over it.

I'm waiting for the revolt after they sell the rights to Lambeau Field, and it will happen. But they will be cautions and it will be "[Jenna Jameson or your name here] Stadium at Lambeau Field".