• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

New York University 🇺🇸 New York University (NYU) thread

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
I've lived in L.A., Lower Alabama that is :), my entire life. I've lived in this automobile dependent hellhole for far too long. My lifelong dream has been to live in NYC. I dream nightly of living in a pedestrian friendly society, where one can realistically sell their car and never have to get behind a wheel again. Studying NYC and realizing how screwed up the cities are down here, motivated me to go into planning. This is where the problems start to arise. How do you get a planning related job in a city with nowhere near the planning problems faced down here in the south?

Also, I've never really wanted to work in the public sector, but of course with my first few jobs, I won't be picky. My question is, if by some lucky miracle, I were to get accepted into NYU, what would be my post-graduate chances of finding a planning related job? How much would my NYU degree help me in finding a job in NYC?

If were to attend graduate school at USC or Portland St., how much harder would it be for me to get a job back on the east coast?

If one were to want to live on the east coast, is it advised to attend a graduate program on the east coast?

Thanks in advance.

urbanleopold

Cyburbian
Kobayashi said:
My lifelong dream has been to live in NYC. I dream nightly of living in a pedestrian friendly society, where one can realistically sell their car and never have to get behind a wheel again. .
I think there are a number of cities on the west coast where this is the case, Portland being one of them, though I think LA is not one of them. The San Francisco bay area (particularily the east bay, Berkeley, etc) has great public transportation as well. If you're looking for a pleasant, pedestrian-friendly place to live (and study urban planning), I wouldn't limit your prospects to New York. I can't answer your other questions too well, but the impression that I've gotten from other posts in this forum is that the location of your school is not that important to where you can find a job later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
urbanleopold said:
Kobayashi said:
My lifelong dream has been to live in NYC. I dream nightly of living in a pedestrian friendly society, where one can realistically sell their car and never have to get behind a wheel again. .
I think there are a number of cities on the west coast where this is the case, Portland being one of them, though I think LA is not one of them. The San Francisco bay area (particularily the east bay, Berkeley, etc) has great public transportation as well. If you're looking for a pleasant, pedestrian-friendly place to live (and study urban planning), I wouldn't limit your prospects to New York. I can't answer your other questions too well, but the impression that I've gotten from other posts in this forum is that the location of your school is not that important to where you can find a job later.
I know there are more pdestrian friendly areas outside of NYC. I realize the benefits of San Fran and the west coast, but I prefer a cold weather climate. I love snow, I love the cold weather, and the earthquake thing just freaks me out :)

Someone told me "It's impossible to find a planning job in Portland", meaning the planning market was fully saturated.

I'm not limiting myself to just NYC, but NYC is where i've always wanted to be, so that is the goal.

blueaqua

I have just be accepted by NYU MUP program.
This planning program is in the school of Wagenr Graduate School of Public Service.

I am not very familiar with it. Anyone knows about its reputation in career market? Since I do not got any financial aid while I intend to loan for the study.

Is it worth for such an expensive university? Confused:(

Big Green Scott

Cyburbian
They have a great program if you plan on focusing on the legal side of planning. I've heard their physical planning isn't as strong as many programs that are connected to an architecture school. As for beng hired I'm not sure, you probably need to talk to someone already in the field. I'm a prospective student still deciding if I want to go to NYU or to Pratt.

planwarm

hey, blueaqua, have you decided?

If you are interested in housing, public health, international development, and transportation, NYU is a great choice. They just hired another professor from Columbia in urban design and physical planning, so that area should be much better now.

brandslave

Hi
Congrats.
I have got admit from NYU wagner MPP for fall 2008. How are you going about the loans etc?
Regards

I have just be accepted by NYU MUP program.
This planning program is in the school of Wagenr Graduate School of Public Service.

I am not very familiar with it. Anyone knows about its reputation in career market? Since I do not got any financial aid while I intend to loan for the study.

Is it worth for such an expensive university? Confused:(

shelbycakes

Cyburbian
Hi,

I spent an undergrad semester at NYU but took two Wagner classes. I thought the professor's were great and the workload very manageable. On the other hand, I hear Hunter is just as good, in the same area, and wayyy cheaper.

TheWorks

I'm interested in entering a Urban Planning program. I want to know if attending NYU's program would be a wise decision. If I attend NYU instead of other schools around the tri state area, would I have a better edge?

When factoring tuition and opportunities, would going to NYU be a good idea?

I noticed that the tuition is about 14,000 per year. But if the job prospects are low paying I dont know if thats a good idea. In addition, i wonder if I would get about the same opportunities as graduating from another NY school with a lower tuition.

bdh

I think the NYU program is well-respected, but you might also check out the programs at Pratt and Rutgers, also both very good programs (potentially better, depending on your interests) and likely much less expensive. The program at Columbia is also very well-regarded, but similar in costs to NYU.

janeyc

I attended the NYU program - back in the early/mid 90s. Don't let the price deter you from applying. I received about 40% grant funding and that helped greatly supplement the amount of aid I actually had to borrow. I found it to be a great program and recommend it highly. That said, I have plenty of colleagues that went the the Rutgers program and found it to be great as well. I preferred the urban environment and the opportunities to do field work and site visits greatly enhanced classroom work.

TheWorks

I attended the NYU program - back in the early/mid 90s. Don't let the price deter you from applying. I received about 40% grant funding and that helped greatly supplement the amount of aid I actually had to borrow. I found it to be a great program and recommend it highly. That said, I have plenty of colleagues that went the the Rutgers program and found it to be great as well. I preferred the urban environment and the opportunities to do field work and site visits greatly enhanced classroom work.

How did you get grant funding?

janeyc

Actually, it wasn't grant funding but merit-based scholarship/assistance. I believe that you are automatically considered for some "assistance" if you apply for financial aid and state you are looking for merit-based aid. Here's the link that explains the process:

http://wagner.nyu.edu/current/financialaid/scholarships.php

FYI, I was enrolled full-time and had a fairly good (3.7 GPA) for my undergraduate work. I applied to a couple of schools and most offered some type of tuition scholarship. So don't let the base tuition cost scare you off. Hope that helps.

jaruss01

Cyburbian
Met with admissions today and got a so-so feeling about the caliber of the curriculum. 42 credits full time seems like it could easily be achieved in 1.5 years. However, I do like the fact that it is heavily geared towards finance, as it could be a good substitute to a MBA. Which is most likely overwhelmingly competitive considering massive lay-offs in the finance.

The GMAT rankings seemed low to the point where i question their starting salary of upwards of 100k.

Any graduates on this board? Or those who are applying?

Would like to start a discussion on this program.

bdh

NYU RE

I have posted on the previous MSRE thread, so not sure that this will provide much in the way of new information, but I'll join in the conversation to see if it starts things moving...

I am currently in the program - about half-way through the Masters and attending part-time while working full-time.

You're right that if you go full-time you can finish the 42 hours (14 classes) in three full semesters plus the intervening summer. While the majority of students attend part-time, taking one or two classes at a time, it seems to me that there is a larger number of full-time students. Purely anecdotal, but from just talking to people in my classes so far this semester it does seem like there are a fair number of formerly-employed or under-employed students who have decided to swich from part-time to full-time.

While the program is generally recognized as one of the strongest in the country in terms of real estate finance training, I think it's a stretch to say that it can substitute for an MBA from a top-10 or 20 school. If you're comparing it to a second-teir MBA then I think the degree can hold its own. But I agree with previous posts that an MBA is generally the better degree because it provides more flexibility and recognition.

Both the GMAT ranking and the salary numbers are decieving because so many people in the program are already working in the industry. I don't think it's a stretch to say that the average salary of working students in the program is around 100K, so it doesn't seem a stretch to me to think that the average salary of grads is at that number, too. Also, because a fair number of students enter the program through the certificate program, there is a "back door" that allows you to avoid providing standardized test scores. The school is trying to tighten that opening, increasing the requirements for moving from certificate to masters program, but it certainly still affects historic numbers.

What would be really helpful is to hear from recent grads who came into the program with limited experience about where they were hired and what they are making. Anecdotally I know people are (or at least were until last semester) finding jobs at very reputable firms, but I don't know what the salaries looked like.

Final caveat - this program demands diligence in terms of who you select for your classes. You can have a vastly different experience in any given class depending on which professor you select. To me, that might be the biggest weakness of the program.

jaruss01

Cyburbian
Great response.

Completely understandable that the salaries for any "SCPS" program will have a large spectrum. Some students have been in the business longer than other students have been alive.

I am 24 and applying for the upcoming Fall. I would absolutely be interested to see where fresh graduates end up upon completing the program. I have no experience in Real Estate or Finance, but I am transitioning from architecture. For some programs, such as Columbia, this is helpful, however NYU, maybe not so much.

To take my hopeful scenario....
-Full Time Student (not working during interim)
-No RE / Finance exp.
-B. Arch Undergrad
-2 years + 3 years internships as an architect
-LEED Accredited

Not sure where this would leave me upon graduating the NYU program at the age of 25... surely not in the 100k range....

tallboy

I'm thinking of applying to NYU for grad urban planning and have heard that it's changed alot recently. Any recent grads or others thinking of applying that can give me the scoop?

mendez_s

Interest in NYU

BDH,

I am also a prospective student for the Program in Real estate at NYU, and I was wondering if I could get some advice from you in terms of admittance into the program. Is it possible to email you directly?

Thanks

mendez_s

Thanks jtmnkri,

I am in the process of completing my applications now, and will hope to get them out by the end of the week. I do like the NYU program because of the curriculum, and I think I can learn a lot from the professors who are seemlingly mostly industry professionals.

I know I do not know you, but I was wondering if I could email you personally to get some insight from you. I am in the process of writing my personal statement, and it would be great if someone who actually went to the school can tell me if they think that what I have to say about my professional experiences will fit what the program offersDo you think it would be possible to email you directly? I'm not sure how to do it on cyburbia, since I have not made many posts, but I can give you my email address.

smendezfamu@gmail.com

Any input with the essay would be really really appreciated.

Thanks again for responding and I hope to hear from you soon.

RU_Planning

Cyburbian
Does anyone have any insight regarding the Baruch (CUNY) MS in Real Estate?

http://zicklin.baruch.cuny.edu/faculty/realestate/programs/ms-realestate

It is similar in curriculum to the NYU program, but obviously doesn't have the same cache or network.

I am considering it as an alternative to the NYU program due to cost. The NYU program will run about $4,500 per course, whereas the Baruch course will run about $1,500 per course.

Keep in mind I already have a Masters Degree in City Planning, so I would like to keep costs down.

My thinking is if someone is an active member of the NYC ULI Council, you would gain access to a similar network as the NYU students in the MS RE program.

Thanks for any information anyone can share.

jaruss01

Cyburbian
Summary:
The NYU program is quite massive. The curriculum is structured on a credit by credit enrollment process that is accessible to others outside the program. i.e. middle-aged workers that decide on taking a handful of specific classes for a specific reason, but are not necessarily enrolled into the program as a whole. The result is a broad range of class difficulty, student background, etc.

Curriculum Options:
The first half of the program is comprised of core courses. Then you proceed with the route of your selected "concentration." The program has 3 concentrations to choose from:
1. Investment & Finance
2. Development
3. RE Management

Questions:

1. Any insightful comments about the differences between the three concentrations? ie. job placement, student intellect, professor creditability? Which classes have the most direct connection to Stern? (I am currently deciding between Development and Investment/Finance)

Granted, you could weigh the pros and cons of each concentration, but at the end of the day, each concentration's correlating job market will be the biggest factor. Which leads me to the next question:

2. Is there a specific deadline for choosing a concentration? Once this is decided, are you locked in?

It would be nice to be able to make your choice after completing the first year worth of core courses - that way you have one additional year to gauge the stability in different RE sectors.

Thanks

And please, let's avoid any NYU bashing as we have all seen this topic spin out of control on these forums.

tomservo18

I'm trying to find some opinions, information, or recommendations for NYU Schack professors. If anyone has any recommendations I would really appreciate it. Any information would be great, even warnings for professors that didn't perform well.

Anyone?

Thanks.

mendez_s

Tomservo 18,

If you are a student at NYU or will be one in the fall and already have your email set up, check out crenexvillage.com and sign up. There are helpful links on there with professor reviews. Also, you can try to email some of the current students through REISA and get their input on professors.

I cant speak yet on professors since I will also be starting in the fall, but I feel this has helped me in my search.

Hope this helps

krbxtigerz

Cyburbian
I recently looked into NYU's MS in real estate program and its certificate program in real estate. For the certificate program, do people get rejected? It seems like it is for those with college degree who want to learn about real estate from the scratch.

Also, is it possible to get into the master's program if applying right after graduating from college? I would love to attend if I can get in since I can just focus on real estate. My undergraduate school did not have any real estate classes and I would enjoy learning a whole new subject.

gixxer1000

From my understanding you cannot get reject from the certificate program however you can get rejected from the master's program. But if you graduate with a certain grade level from the certificate program you can transfer into the master's program. The certificate program is basically the first few courses anyway so if you're at all worried about getting accepted just get the certificate and take it from there.

krbxtigerz

Cyburbian
thanks for your input!

idk what I should apply for though.....certificate - to check out the courses
or masters - to actually get the degree. hmmmmm

krbxtigerz

Cyburbian
GRE range for the program??

what do I need to score on the GRE to get accepted to NYU's master's program in real estate??

NickSticks

Cyburbian
Try emailing the admissions coordinator/adviser for the program and asking what the average GRE scores have been for accepted students over the past couple of years. They are usually pretty forthcoming with that information.

blaaaah

Forget about fellowship/scholarship essays. There are 4 and an option visual explorer one, totaling 5, just for admissions! Am I the only one that thinks these are excessive for an MUP?

krbxtigerz

Cyburbian
"a certain grade level"

From my understanding you cannot get reject from the certificate program however you can get rejected from the master's program. But if you graduate with a certain grade level from the certificate program you can transfer into the master's program. The certificate program is basically the first few courses anyway so if you're at all worried about getting accepted just get the certificate and take it from there.
Do you know what "a certain grade level" is by any chance? :D

skeeter

Cyburbian
Personal Statement
Visual Explorer
Bio

What else am I missing besides the scholarship/fellowship ones?

krbxtigerz

Cyburbian
certificate program

so I just applied to the certificate program for spring 2010....
I really hope I get in so that I can start taking some classes soon. I shouldn't worry right?

krbxtigerz

Cyburbian
I recently applied to the certificate program in real estate at NYU, hoping that I can start taking classes next semester and see how they are. Should I be worried about not getting in since I've been out of college for about 6 months? I've been informed that they do not reject ppl for the certificate, but I'm just curious. I barely made the deadline for it and I hope I get in!!

shaunak

krbxtigerz- I am interested in applying to the certificate program in real estate @ NYU also. I have a score of 650 in GMAT and 6 months of experience in Real Estate. I am trying to decide if I need to take my GMAT's again to improve my chances.

Did you get into the program? What kind of acceptance rate do they have in the program? Do you know what the average GMAT score for applicants is?

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

skiekite

Hi I've been accepted to NYU and really want to attend, but can't attend until the spring. Anyone here have had to defer admission? What is the process and how likely would the university grant my deferment? If you have any info on this I would greatly appreciate it, for I have to make my decision before the April 15th deadline.

skiekite

Anyone attending NYU for fall 2010? What are your housing plans? I'll be moving from Los Angeles, looking to leave LA by mid August or so. I'm a little anxious and worried since housing is so expensive. Also, I'll be selling my car, so I'll will have to rely entirely on public transit. Anyone here interested in roommating?

Also any idea on what classes to start off with?

jmatz

I'm also from LA, and likely to go to NYU myself (final decision this week). Ambivalent about sharing an apartment, but definitely considering it.

If I can figure out how to send private messages through the forums, I'll send my contact info so we can discuss.

Jonathan

jmatz

Hey, I can't figure out how to send private messages through here. Will you be at the Wagner event on Monday at Hotel Angeleno?

skiekite

Hotel Angeleno

Hey, I can't figure out how to send private messages through here. Will you be at the Wagner event on Monday at Hotel Angeleno?

Hey Jmatz,

Yes, I will be there on Monday. We can talk then. I'm presuming that you didn't go to the open house in NYC either? I'm just curious how that went. Also, did you get your financial package from Wagner yet? I'm still waiting for mine.

yellosno

Background in RE accounting/tax

I am currently considering NYU or Columbia for their respective MSRE or MSRED programs. However, I am a tax accountant at a NYC Big 4 accounting firm in the Real Estate tax department and almost have my CPA. I have nearly 4 years here with the same public accounting firm and they have offered to pay FULL TUITION to either program should I get in. However, I'm not sure if my RE tax background makes me marketable enough with an MSRE or MSRED to land a good RE finance job after graduation. I can't decide if I should get the MSRE/MSRED or if I should go get my MS in Taxation and stay in the accounting field even though RE finance and development interests me more. I just don't want to be stuck with a MSRE/MSRED that it took me 2.5 years (part-time) to get and not have any ability to get a good job in NYC in RE finance. In that case I should get my MS in Taxation instead.........I'm at a crossroad and need to decide.....any input???

RU_Planning

Cyburbian
I am currently considering NYU or Columbia for their respective MSRE or MSRED programs. However, I am a tax accountant at a NYC Big 4 accounting firm in the Real Estate tax department and almost have my CPA. I have nearly 4 years here with the same public accounting firm and they have offered to pay FULL TUITION to either program should I get in. However, I'm not sure if my RE tax background makes me marketable enough with an MSRE or MSRED to land a good RE finance job after graduation. I can't decide if I should get the MSRE/MSRED or if I should go get my MS in Taxation and stay in the accounting field even though RE finance and development interests me more. I just don't want to be stuck with a MSRE/MSRED that it took me 2.5 years (part-time) to get and not have any ability to get a good job in NYC in RE finance. In that case I should get my MS in Taxation instead.........I'm at a crossroad and need to decide.....any input???
Would your firm be paying for you to go full time and not working? I ask because I am under the impression that the Columbia MSRED program is full time program (day classes) whereas the NYU MSRE program is mostly night classes (although they do offer day tracks in development now).

As for admissions to the NYU program, they are working on making them tougher. With new leadership, they are looking to evolve the program and address a number of the previous concerns. I was admitted to the RE Grad Certificate program and start in the fall. I liked the option of not having to commit fully to the 42 credit program right away.