• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

New zoning in Queens

green22

Cyburbian
Hi,I"m not actually a planner but am seeking suggestions.In a local Queeens paper I read that residents first achieved a small single family residential area district and now a larger area designated where only single homes can be built.The city planning department passed it after the community board asked for it.They said it may be expanded to many other areas of the city since it is working so well.The main arguements they gave was that Forest Hills is mainly a neighborhood of single family homes and more apartments or townhomes would destroy it's historic character.
My problem with this is that Forest Hlls is a wealthy area of townhomes and single family is basically saying,we're here and we don't want any more people.Queens is growing very fast and if the city will not take in any of the growth ,housing prices will go up and the city will push growth to greenfields.Also Forest H. is located on Queens Blvd with the G,V,R,F and E local and express trains,commuter rail and great bus service.It's not the best place to restrict growth.The historic part doesn't add up either,many remake their homes into mcmansions out of character with the area but this is fine.I wish that the law targeted aspects of the higher density buildings they did not like and regulated those things.The most expensive and vibrant districts in the cities are dense areas like most of Manhattan and the many apartments of Queens Blvd.Some of the worst parts of new york are low density areas like East New York and Edgemere,so density in itself should not necessarily be the enemy.I admit that the cheap townhomes sprouting up all over Queens with their cement front yards of parking(mandated by zoning)make the neighborhood look ugly and add traffic.I wish there were a way to work with the residents to make them happy ,without pursuing a policy which will be harmful on so many levels,suggestions?

perryair

Cyburbian
Are these going to be only detached single family housing, or does the restriction only mean that large apartment building type buildings aren't allowed? Most of the parts of Queens that I have seen is rowhouses with paved parking in front of the house, which isn't quite at the density of anywhere in the city, but doesn't seem too bad.

I agree that near the transportation access points, there should be allowances for increased densities because it makes sense.

But as far as absorbing incoming population, New York is pretty resourceful between all the loft conversions, split sublet units, seperate basements for rent and all of those other types of setups.

green22

Cyburbian
Forest Hills was a planned suburb many years ago.Queens blvd area contains only apartments and retail.On the other side are row houses and many single family homes.The law is specifically against duplexes and rowhomes being built as well as apts,retail etc.