• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Newbie-friendly bus signage?

simulcra

While wandering around austin, i noticed the fact that there was a nice visible presence of busses and "historical trolleys" that ran around. i was thinking how convenient it might be to take them around the city, but...

i have no idea about their routes, schedules, etc...

wouldn't it be better if at bus stops, instead of (atleast here in dallas/plano/austin) just listing the bus number, you exapnded the sign a bit to include a minimap of where the bus goes as well as a timetable?

i mean, accessibility to bus transit should be important, right?

after all, if i was walking down guadalupe ave., saw a bus stop, and noticed that a bus was heading by soon and the map showed me where it was going, i'd be much more inclined to use it, instead of just seeing a sign with a big sign saying "bus 603" or something...

jresta

Cyburbian
New York and Chicago seemed to have figured this out - as well as most european cities. The rest of us? We're working on it.

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
Here's how they do it in Vail. The scrolling sign tells you how long until the next bus arrives.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
It struck me as odd that Austin isnt doing this. You are right that they should.

Time to be an activist - call the transit planners, and if no luck the elected officials and launch a grass roots campaign my friend. Besides, it will look great on a resume :)

simulcra

i think i'm going to do just that. hell i have until september to kill 'fore college, so i might as well see if i can wake up those damned elected(?) officials.

and where's vail? that sure is a nice and purdy bus stop.

In Orange County, CA, they're just now getting the idea that putting the bus arrival times on the signs at the stops would be good. Then again, the service is atrocious, and the bus times are more like suggestions. They've always had the bus map on the signs, though.

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
Recently arrived in Tempe, and I've noticed that most bus stops have laminted copies of al bus routes bolted to the sign pole.

Never in new orleans though.

FueledByRamen

Cyburbian
Hi, I decided that I needed to register so that I could respond to this post.

Solipsa, I was suprised when I read that you had not seen the minimaps present on a good number of the bus stop signage here in Austin.

While they arent on every pole, most stops that service 2 or more routes contain either a mini map of each route or a listing of stops. The stops that service, oh probably 4 or more routes have either a seperate kiosk near them with maps or a big tylenol shaped thing mounted vertically on the post. This has maps that can be seen through the clear plastic and it rotates so that you can view them without having to move!

And for anyone interested, Capital Metro just put into service some new hybrid-powered buses.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Our area is suppose to be getting digital time signs for certain bus routes, to tell you what time the next bus will arrive and if the one your waiting for is going to be late. Ah GPS.

FueledByRamen

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
Our area is suppose to be getting digital time signs for certain bus routes, to tell you what time the next bus will arrive and if the one your waiting for is going to be late. Ah GPS.
I would kill for that, btw