• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

NEXT: Syria?

Syria on the hit list: Is this wise?

• Yes, they have been a bad actor for years.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Maybe, they are state sponsors of terrorism.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Maybe, but let's find Iraqi WMDs first.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • No, Bush, Wolfawitz and Rummy are just looking for trouble.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • No, We can't afford to upset the Middle East.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • No, Where would it ever stop? (sorry Canada)

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • No, We need to let the inspectors look for 12 years first.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Answer/Idea on this subject.

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

Jeff

Cyburbian
Why stop while we're on a roll?

I wonder if we're going to see a little bit more cooperation from Syria now that we made an example of Iraq (again). We'll se in the coming weeks if they turn over any of the Iraqi govt that fled (allegedly) to their country.

Also, EG I'm trying to get a couple decks of those "52 Most Wanted" playing cards/ You'll be on my list of recipients if I get more than 1.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tough question. Left turm: Syria. Right turn: Iran. Syria is small potatos compared to Iran. Lets go for Syria as long as we're in the neighborhood.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Mike D. said:
Also, EG I'm trying to get a couple decks of those "52 Most Wanted" playing cards/ You'll be on my list of recipients if I get more than 1.

Yo Dawg - You da man!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
i voted maybe

they are bad cookies but im still not so sure about Iraq time will tell what kinda mess we may have made or gotten ourselves into over there

Syria sucks they always have but im not too keen on us playing big dog on the block

el Guapo

Capitalist
A better question. By our standards, besides Quatar and Bahrain, who in the Middle East doesn't need a "wall to wall counseling session?"

BTW - I think we made our point well with the last two regime changes. I think we should get Afganistan and Iraq stable and then get the hell out of the Middle East. We can always send potential bad actors a copy of recent Fox News coverage when we want to remind them of our power, and a tape of Al Jazeera when we want to remind them of our brutality and a tape of the Iraqi Information Minster when whe want to remind them not to believe their own propaganda.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
El Guapo said:
A better question. By our standards, besides Quatar and Bahrain, who in the Middle East doesn't need a "wall to wall counseling session?"

United Arab Emirates?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I think that most Middle Eastern countries will learn to cooperate with the US from this point forward. They saw how the US defeated Afghanistan and Iraq in less than a month.

I think if push comes to shove, I think Syria will help the US with anti-terrorism efforts and will turn over Iraqi leaders who have fled.

I also don't think that there is the political will to go into Syria. With Afghanistan you had the bin Laden / AlQueda issue and with Iraq you had 12 years of UN resolution violations. With Syria, people will really begin to question the motives and goals of this Administration.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I just think we have a mess brewing in Iraq with the religious leaders taking over.

im with Guap lets clean this up and get the hell out of there

Cardinal

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
im with Guap lets clean this up and get the hell out of there

PG and EG agreeing on the role of military intervention in a foreign country?! Is BKM about to come around to the EG mindset as well? ;)

I've said it before, the Bush Administration always comes off sounding like the bully, and I think in the long run that will come around to hurt us. Instead of accusations and threats, why not say we know that Iraqi officials have taken advantage of Syria's liberal customs policies to attempt to flee justice, and we expect Syrian assistance in locating them and turning them over to a world court to be tried as criminals for the acts they carried out against Iraq's Arab population. Same result, less anger and resentment.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
jtfortin said:
I also don't think that there is the political will to go into Syria. With Afghanistan you had the bin Laden / AlQueda issue and with Iraq you had 12 years of UN resolution violations. With Syria, people will really begin to question the motives and goals of this Administration.

Bingo. Plus, I think multiple "camel republics" established and co-managed by the US will at best be a drain on our economy, and at worst keep us in a semi-war state of mind like Israel, suicide bombings being what they are.

BKM

Cyburbian
Yep. I'll agree with El Guapo on this one. Finish up and get out.

Where we may disagree is the ability to quickly get it done. I think we've buried ourselves in an endless quagmire. I hope I'm wrong.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
I agree with everybody on this one except.....

what if syria takes these guys in and does not cooperate?

what if Iraq has already moved ALL of its weapons of mass destruction here?

Syria was beginnng to cooperate and I have faith that they will do the right thing, but I am under no delusion that they inhabit the same just world as you and I do,

But if they don't and continue to support terror groups like Hamas and Hezbollah (and they do, that is fact), then I am all for taking care of that business while we have guys there.

I am not suggesting full scale regime change yet, just total annhiliation of any terror making ability.

The only political will I care about is here at home. And you may be right that the Bush administration does not have carte blanche to just invade any ole country...

Turns out the ones most against action in Iraq--Russia and France are knee deep in it through questionable business and military practices and if more comes out on this Russian spy and military advice thing....just more amo that we did the right thing.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Why not Cuba? The US has overthown the 24 year regime of Saddam, now it's time to overthrow the 44 year regime of Fidel Castro. It's been too much, he's violating the human rights, and you can stop the exodus from Cuba to Florida (And of course you have a relief for the US Coast Guard and the Inmigration department.

Getting entangled with Syria wouldn't be wise, specially since the war in Irak isn't over and you have already left Afghanistan laid back and without much aid, while the Taliban retakes the power back....

pete-rock

Cyburbian
gkmo62u said:
I agree with everybody on this one except.....

what if syria takes these guys in and does not cooperate?

what if Iraq has already moved ALL of its weapons of mass destruction here?

I don't know... I already feel like we opened Pandora's Box and we'll be lucky to put the lid back on. A "preemptive" strike on Syria now would mean the US is bogged down throughout the Middle East for a least a few more years.

Is there the political will to keep, say, 500,000 US troops in the Middle East (Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, even Iran or elsewhere) for the next 5-10 years?