• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Nextel : Godsend or Satan Spawn

Nextel : Godsend or Satan Spawn

• Godsend

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Satan Spawn

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • I have entirely different explanation

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I'm sitting in my office hammering out next week's Plan Commission supplements and some Yahoo-Mullet-Head-Wanna-Be-A-Big-Hot-Shot-Developer-But-I-Only-Stick-Build-Eight-Homes-A-Year-Contractor is at our permitting counter 10 yards away yabbering away on his Nextel to his Office Bimbo. I hate those blasted things.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Grrrr ... don't get me started on Nextel.

Just to restate an earlier rant -- I live in a demographic anomaly zone where a large plurality is employed in the construction industry or building trades. It's impossible to see a movie, eat dinner out, or otherwise enjoy a few minutes in a public place without being barraged with bleeps, squaks, and tinny streams of profanity eminiating from Nextel phones. It's all tolerated, too, because prolific use of Direct Connect is as much a part of the culture out here as ... oh, breathing.

There's a reason why the phones are called "West Orange County passports."

el Guapo

Capitalist
Rude Bastards

You may find this hard to believe but I am now actively rude to people that insist on having a cell phone conversation in place where it impacts others. I'm to the point now where I interupt them and ask them to take it outside. I know it is a matter of time until someone kicks my ass for doing so, but I have had my ass kicked before and I lived.

They're slowly moving our public works and planning departments over to the nextel phones. Our head of the water dept has one that he surfs the net on, which is kind of cool, but mostly I find them annoying. Especially when my husband and his contractor best friend spend our drive home from work pretending they're truckers on a CB. Christ, men can be such children sometimes.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I hate Next-Hell Not only are they rude and loud but they reception on them SUCKS! Seems you dont see/hear many of the in the DC area. Not sure if the coverage sucks or if they are all rushing to get the tiny phones that the yuppies have.

Everyone is on the cell phone here 24/7 but ive not had the "rude" folks in the movies etc here that i had in NC. Just the shock of seeing someone on the darn things on the metro is kinda odd.

*ok ill admit i have a cell and its oh my head from the time i walk out of work till i go to sleep* but im not RUDE

D

NEXTEL SUCKS!

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
i dunno...nextels are kinda neat...i love radio gizmos...hate the man not the machine...

planasaurus

Cyburbian
They can come in handy. When I went to Marti Gras last year I stayed with a friend of a friend who worked for Nextel, and he gave everybody in our group (15 people) one to use for the weekend. I got lost from everybody else several times, so being able to call them on the two-way was great. Plus, it was cool to sound like a big important developer for a weekend.