• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂
  • If you're returning to Cyburbia, your old password should still work with your username. If you can't remember your password, you can reset it here. If your email changed, or you can't get into your account, follow these instructions.

NFIP Question - V zone construction standards

Are pilings or piers required for V Zone construction in every instance? For example, what if the BFE for the V zone is 18 feet NGVD 29 and the exisiting grade is 16 feet are you still required to use pilings or can you use fill to elevate the structure above BFE??? Any thoughts........

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I would contact somebody who is a CFM in Washington or your State NFIP coordinator.

Only a somebody knowledgeable and experienced with "V" Zones should answer this.

I am not knowledgable or particularly experienced with V zones - but wouldn't using fill to elevate the structure result in raising the BFE somewhat - kind of like putting ice cubes in a glass of water?

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Lucky you, I happen to be a CFM.

While I don't have to deal with V Zones where I live, I am familiar with them.

Fill may not be used for structural support. In other words, they are stuck with pilings. This should be stated in your floodplain development ordinance somewhere. Also, if they construct any walls below the BFE in a V Zone, those walls must be break-away.

Let me guess, someone doesn't want to use a pier foundation and is just saying "it's only two feet". On that note, you should also check the floodplain ordinance to see if it requires any freeboard.

How do you get to be a CFM? I'd like to add that to the letters after my name. I've read a lot of FEMA stuff in the last several months, so maybe I already know a lot of the test items.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
boilerplater said:
How do you get to be a CFM? I'd like to add that to the letters after my name. I've read a lot of FEMA stuff in the last several months, so maybe I already know a lot of the test items.
Go to www.floods.org/

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
boilerplater said:
You can also check with your state floodplain management association.

Thanks...

Thanks Repairman... I reviewed our ordinance and you're right, fill can't be used to elevate a structure in V zones and we do have freeboard requirements, 1 foot above BFE. I just moved to a communtity that has V zones on thier FIRMs from one that didn't and am trying to get used to the new regs. I always thougth that you had to use pilings too, at least that's what I remember from EMI. Thanks again!

Suburb Repairman said:
Lucky you, I happen to be a CFM.

While I don't have to deal with V Zones where I live, I am familiar with them.

Fill may not be used for structural support. In other words, they are stuck with pilings. This should be stated in your floodplain development ordinance somewhere. Also, if they construct any walls below the BFE in a V Zone, those walls must be break-away.

Let me guess, someone doesn't want to use a pier foundation and is just saying "it's only two feet". On that note, you should also check the floodplain ordinance to see if it requires any freeboard.

Using fill...

Using fill to elevate a structure is only prohibited in floodways, and even then there are exceptions if you can provide engineering that shows no-rise in the floodway. In V zones or any other zone for that matter,that same criteria doesn't apply because in developing the BFE for the FIRM all of that fill has been taken into account.

imaplanner said:
I am not knowledgable or particularly experienced with V zones - but wouldn't using fill to elevate the structure result in raising the BFE somewhat - kind of like putting ice cubes in a glass of water?

tides are velocity floods?

Nearly the entire coastline here is a velocity flood zone, although we wonder why, since twice-daily tides move more water than any flood event ever could. Fill is allowed for structural support in a V flood zone only "when certified by an engineer or architect that the [other] standards of this chapter are satisfied."