• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

NHL Season Thread 2019-20

Doohickie

Cyburbian
deep sigh

The Ralph Krueger magic has completely dissipated. The Sabres were lucky to get a point out of that. They really needed two.

zman

Cyburbian
The Avalanche keep winning despite being heavily depleted by injuries. I even got up to Vancouver to see the Avs/Canucks game.

Looking forward to Avs/Bruins in Boston in two weeks.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The Avalanche keep winning despite being heavily depleted by injuries. I even got up to Vancouver to see the Avs/Canucks game.

Looking forward to Avs/Bruins in Boston in two weeks.
See, that's funny because the Red Wings keep losing despite being healthy... :mad:

AG74683

Cyburbian
We just can't seem to solve the Flyers this year. 5-3 loss at home last night (4-3 I suppose, the last one was an EN), ending our 4 game winning streak. Sebastian Aho seems to be rolling along well now.

And a fun fact, the suggest word for a misspelling of Sebastian through Google Chrome is Beanfeast.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Devils got creamed by the Bruins. It's literally the single most cursed match up out of all the teams in the NHL.

Schneider got sent down to the AHL and the Devils called up Louis Domingue to play backup to MacKenzie Blackwood.

I am sad for Cory, but hopefully he can work out his issues in Binghamton and come back strong.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
After getting hammed by Pittsburgh and Boston last week, Devils win 5-1 against fellow basement dwellers Detroit. It was Domingue's first game in net as a Devil.

AG74683

Cyburbian
After getting hammed by Pittsburgh and Boston last week, Devils win 5-1 against fellow basement dwellers Detroit. It was Domingue's first game in net as a Devil.
We beat them last night, 2-0 (really 1-0 since the last was an EN). Howard kept them alive for most of it. Reimer got his first shutout as a 'Cane and his first since March of '18. Last few games have been good to us. We dropped one or two but we have won the last 4 of our road games.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Sabres back in the win column after a solid 5-2 effort over the Panthers (completing a Bills-Sabres two-win Sunday). The euphoria may be short lived as they play the Lightning tonight.

zman

Cyburbian
Putting the NHL on notice... the Avalanche are starting to get healthy again...

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Sabres back in the win column after a solid 5-2 effort over the Panthers (completing a Bills-Sabres two-win Sunday). The euphoria may be short lived as they play the Lightning tonight.
And just when you thought they might be pulling out of their funk, the Sabres imploded in the third period last night against the Lightning. They'd outshot the Bolts almost 2-1 through the first two periods, but found themselves down 3-2 at the end of the second. During a Sabres powerplay, Erik Cernak of TB elbowed Rasmus Dahlin in the head, nearly knocking him out and giving him a concussion. Even with blood on the ice, the referees failed to call a penalty (Cernak to have a hearing today). Then in the third the Sabres allowed two shorthanded goals during the same penalty and it was good night Irene.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Mike Babcock got fired but Jeff Blashill still has a job. The Leafs are doing way better than the Wings this year.

I don't think Stevie Y will fire him this year, but he will need to do much better as the season moves forward if he wants the job next year.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Mike Babcock got fired but Jeff Blashill still has a job. The Leafs are doing way better than the Wings this year.

I don't think Stevie Y will fire him this year, but he will need to do much better as the season moves forward if he wants the job next year.
Sounds like Babcock was just a locker room terror. When you have a guy like Auston Matthews come out about how poor everything was in that locker room with him at the helm, something was going on. It's so weird to me too, because up until this whole thing, I was a huge fan of Babcock. I'd be wary of hiring him if I were a GM somewhere.

I still find it weird that the Wings chose to extend Blashill. His record really hasn't been that spectacular.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Devils had the only Turkey Day game and it was a great 6-4 win over the Habs at the Bell Center. Cary Price had a hissy fit and broke his stick.

Of course Our Hated Rivals blanked us 0-4 on Saturday. Tonight we play the Sabres.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Eh maybe. The Sabres have been playing much better the last handful of games. Despite getting outshot 43-30 in their last game in Toronto, they actually outplayed the Leafs for most of the game and only won because Andersen stood on his head. A good chunk of Toronto's shots were from the outside. Unfortunately the shot what won the game for TO in OT was a long shot that should have been easily handled by Hutton. He might have to go back to school.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well as it turns out, not only is Mike Babcock a giant piece of crap, Bill Peters was somehow even worse. I'm incredibly disappointed in how Ron Francis appears to have handled the Peters issue when he was GM of the 'Canes.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Sorry kjel (not sorry!)

The Sabres seem to be pulling out of their funk, and the Devils just got in their way. The Devils seriously look like the Sabres did in the depths of the Tank for Eichel. Not pretty. And Domingue isn't much of a goalie. When he first came up with Arizona I thought he looked good, but I guess it didn't last.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I think the gaoltending for the Devils is going to be haunted by the great Martin Brodeur for a long, long time. Trying to step into his skates is asking a lot of any netminder.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I won't disagree, but the rest of the Devils gave up gobs of juicy opportunities.

Hopefully as Jack Hughes matures a good team will be built around him. Jack Eichel's in his 5th season and the Sabres are only now showing glimpses of being competent.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry kjel (not sorry!)

The Sabres seem to be pulling out of their funk, and the Devils just got in their way. The Devils seriously look like the Sabres did in the depths of the Tank for Eichel. Not pretty. And Domingue isn't much of a goalie. When he first came up with Arizona I thought he looked good, but I guess it didn't last.
Spectacularly ugly showing by the Devils. Probably one of the worst games I've seen in the past 5 years.

I think the gaoltending for the Devils is going to be haunted by the great Martin Brodeur for a long, long time. Trying to step into his skates is asking a lot of any netminder.
It's hard moving on from having the GOAT. Schneider played brilliantly for several seasons but we had an otherwise crappy team, then he got injured and hasn't been the same since. I like Blackwood and think he can do well in the long run, but he still has some maturing to do. Domingue is just meh, but he's here on a 1 year contract so I don't think he matters much in the grand scheme of things.

I won't disagree, but the rest of the Devils gave up gobs of juicy opportunities.

Hopefully as Jack Hughes matures a good team will be built around him. Jack Eichel's in his 5th season and the Sabres are only now showing glimpses of being competent.
Devils had a poor showing offensively, defensively, and goaltending. The earned the score they got. At this point I think there needs to be a change in coaching staff, there are enough good ingredients on the ice now that IMHO it is a coaching issue.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yes, that's actually what the consensus was on the Sabres forum.... the Devils should be better than this based on the sum of their parts.

The Sabres are having a very Jekyl-and-Hyde season. In October it looked like they'd finally arrived. They looked just as bad as the Tank years in November, and now in December they suddenly remembered how to play. Part of it is due to injuries. Part is learning a new system. Part is having an unconventional coach in Ralph Krueger. I think there are also some very talented, but very young, players on the team and they seem to be streaky so far.

(If you don't know his background he grew up in hockey in Canada, had a brief stint coaching in Edmonton, went to Europe and ran the Swiss national hockey program with overachieving results, then spent several years as chairman of a soccer team in the UK. He's a motivational speaker with several published books; he's not your average NHL head coach; he's more of a Renaissance Man, and we still don't if that's a good thing or not.)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just in....Hynes is being relieved of his coaching duties and Alain Nasreddine is interim head coach who will be assisted by Peter Horacheck.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rumors are swirling that Taylor Hall will be traded soon.

He'll be UFA at the end of the season and I don't think there's any way he'd resign. Best thing for Shero to do is trade him for some younger/cheaper assets.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
We've talked about him on the Sabres forum. Consensus is unless a signed contract is involved, he won't return more than draft picks.

Sabres are treading .500 water these days, an improvement over their awful November. Beating Edmonton was a welcome win, especially since they managed to shut down the McDavid line.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Boy, the Metro is freaking red hot this year. 'Canes are in 5th with 37 points. That'd be good for second in most of the other divisions. Crazy to think that we are coming up on the halfway point in the season.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Boy, the Metro is freaking red hot this year. 'Canes are in 5th with 37 points. That'd be good for second in most of the other divisions. Crazy to think that we are coming up on the halfway point in the season.
Damn Caps and their 49 points.

Devils have 23 points.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Sabres finding their groove again. Beat St. Louis 5-2 last night in a game that had a playoff feel. The Blues didn't want to go away, but the Sabres never trailed. They traded goals all night until the Sabres finally potted a couple empty netters at the end.