• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

NHL Season Thread 2019-20

AG74683

Cyburbian
Svech pulled off the lacrosse goal AGAIN last night against the Jets. It was even better this time. Hellebuyck knew it was coming and tried to block it, but Svech adjusted at the last second and dumped it under his arm instead.

6-3 win over a very good Jets team in freaking Winterpeg. I'll take it! We are heating up.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
A coworker took his wife and kids to the Red Wings game last night. Less than $50 for 4 tickets (including fees) for 2nd row, center ice, in the 2nd level. I remember the days when those tickets would have been $150 each. Oh how the mighty have fallen!
Devils tix are pretty cheap on the secondary market right now. I am glad we don't have season tix this year. They beat Anaheim last night 3-1.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Svech pulled off the lacrosse goal AGAIN last night against the Jets. It was even better this time. Hellebuyck knew it was coming and tried to block it, but Svech adjusted at the last second and dumped it under his arm instead.

6-3 win over a very good Jets team in freaking Winterpeg. I'll take it! We are heating up.
The Michigan Goal needs to be renamed the Svech...

zman

Cyburbian
The Michigan Goal needs to be renamed the Svech...
Someone old school will take exception to this and lay the dude out.

But I cannot help but wonder if this will be a thing. Sort of like when the forward pass was introduced to football (way back when...)

AG74683

Cyburbian
'Canes won 3-1 (2-1 since the last was an EN and I just don't count those) against the Avalanche last night in Denver. The two hottest teams in the league and we came out on top. Since November, our PP/PK has been absolutely on fire. The PK is ranked second in the league, only behind the Sharks. PP is 5th or 6th. In the 12 years or so that I've been a fan, I have never once seen the special teams at that level.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The wheels fell off again for the Sabres last night. Jack Eichel took warmups but said he couldn't play due to an "upper body injury." No idea if it's long term or what. Then to make matters worse, two other centers, Johan Larsson and Evan Rodrigues, left the game with injuries.

The Flyers shellacked us 6-1.

zman

Cyburbian
'Canes won 3-1 (2-1 since the last was an EN and I just don't count those) against the Avalanche last night in Denver. The two hottest teams in the league and we came out on top. Since November, our PP/PK has been absolutely on fire. The PK is ranked second in the league, only behind the Sharks. PP is 5th or 6th. In the 12 years or so that I've been a fan, I have never once seen the special teams at that level.
Couldn't watch the game... not happy with the outcome. Seems the Avs folded like a lawn chair at the end...

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Holy crap the Devils showed up to play last night in Chicago. 7-1 win!

zman

Cyburbian
Avalanche are healthy... just in time to enter into a slump.

Side Note: I follow the team more now, even though I now live in Washington state. However, I did not purchase the NHL Center Ice package. However, my wife recently purchased the Disney+ with Hulu and ESPN combo. Having ESPN+ has enabled me to watch many more games than I would have if I waited for a national telecast. Sometimes its hard to wait for NBCSN to take a break from broadcasting the Blackhawks, or Pens, or Rangers (yeah yeah yeah, I understand hockey markets and TV ratings, blah blah blah).

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Devils are a mixed bag of tricks as usual...

4-5 OT loss in Toronto thanks to Severson scoring an own goal, it wasn't a deflection it was a legit chip into our own goal.
4-3 OT win in Ottawa. Jack Hughs scored his first NHL OT goal. Great goal and it's always fun listening to Steve Cangialosi's excitement when calling the game. https://www.nhl.com/news/new-jersey-devils-ottawa-senators-game-recap/c-313182888

Devils are in Boston on New Year's Eve, the will 90% lose to the Bruins.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well HOLY CRAP the Devils beat the Bruins today! In a shootout no less!!!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
That makes the home & home defeats of the Sabres by the Bruins that much more painful. Oof.

AG74683

Cyburbian
'Canes soundly beat Montreal on New Years Eve. They have the second most wins by a team in the 2019 calendar year (I think it was 54, behind the Blues who had like 56). That's astonishing to me.

Dougie Hamilton got a nod for the 2020 All Star game which is cool (his first). Svech and Aho were left off the list though, which is stupid. Tuevo is one of the "last man in" options. Svech should have been an automatic bid considering how awesome he's been playing.

Planit

Cyburbian
Playing hockey outside in Texas just seems very strange. I guess they'll play in Miami or Tampa soon.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Playing hockey outside in Texas just seems very strange. I guess they'll play in Miami or Tampa soon.
I went to the Devils-Rangers winter classic a few years ago at Yankee Stadium. It was one of the coldest days of the year. How cold? So cold that the beer froze inside the tap lines.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I went to the Devils-Rangers winter classic a few years ago at Yankee Stadium. It was one of the coldest days of the year. How cold? So cold that the beer froze inside the tap lines.
That beer was watered down.

I didn't watch the whole Winter Classic but from what I saw it looked like one of the best in a long time. The ice was surprisingly good. Even though the temperature was probably too warm (in the 50s), it was a cloudy day so there wasn't the usual heat load from the sun. The stadium was full; for some reason I didn't expect that.

zman

Cyburbian
My buddy was at the Avalanche/Wild game last week. I was certain the Avalanche would crush them. I guess I was way off.
The weird part with the "Mild" is that they were projected to stink this year... they have defied those odds led by a core of "old" guys. Boudreau is a good coach too... and the Avs haven't shown up against them all season... they havent shown up against the Central Division at all either. They play St Louis tonight in Denver. Hoping something changes.

Still, I think they'll make the WC finals this year, but lose. Mostly likely to a central division opponent.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Jack Eichel scored the first ever OT penalty shot winner in Sabres history tonight. I don't think any player means more to their team than Jack this season.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Devils posted up a scrappy regulation win against the Isles last night. I was pleasantly surprised. That's 3 wins in a row now. Who are they?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
This is the play that preceded the penalty shot. I was surprised they called a penalty shot, but they did. I was also surprised Smith made the save on Reinhart.

....and the shot

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Devils had a very interesting weekend:

An embarrassing 3-6 loss against the Rags :mad:
A shocking 5-1 rout of the Caps in DC :)
GM Ray Shero was fired on Sunday before the game :oops:
And the Devils decisively won 3-1 against the Lightning Sunday night snapping their 10 game winning streak :flex:

Cory Schneider was also recalled from the AHL as Blackwood is injured. Domingue got the back to back start this weekend.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
That is interesting.

Sabres limped along. Lose one, win one. The win Sunday was against the Red Wings, so does that really count? The Sabres were led by 13th forward Evan Rodrigues who scored his first two goals of the season.

AG74683

Cyburbian
'Canes posted back to back shutout wins! One for Mrazek (3-0 win over Arizona) and another for Reimer (2-0 win over the Kings). Both goalies have 3 shutouts so far this season, meaning both are tied for #1 in goalie shutouts in the NHL as a whole this year.

We are currently sitting at 56 points, good for the 1st wild card spot. Only 2 points behind the Islanders.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Are they still doing the post game cellies on the ice?
Yeah, but they are starting to become repetitive. I'm not sure they know how to stop doing them, but I'm not sure the guys are that interested in continuing. Justin Williams is returning though, so maybe he'll spice it back up.

After 2 back to back shutouts, we got shutout by the Caps 2-0 last night. I wasn't able to watch the game so I'm not sure how we looked.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Sabres actually looked competent against the Golden Knights last night. They won 4-2 including this game winning beauty by Eichel

The second period didn't look good for the Sabres as they got outshot 12-5, but they were able to outscore the Knights 2-1 on the strength of two power play goals. It seems like the power play is coming around again.

I'll be going to the Sabres game tomorrow when they come to Dallas.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Devils lost against the Leafs last night. No surprise there but they did put up a fight and Coleman got a hat trick.

Saw this fight between Jamie Benn and Matt Calvert :ha:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Another Coach has been fired, this time it was Gerard Gallant from the Vegas Knights.

Can someone please explain why Jeff Blashall still has his job? Hopefully Stevie Y calls up his former line mate and makes him an offer to come to Detroit.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Another Coach has been fired, this time it was Gerard Gallant from the Vegas Knights.

Can someone please explain why Jeff Blashall still has his job? Hopefully Stevie Y calls up his former line mate and makes him an offer to come to Detroit.
Gallant is probably another casualty of the culture change in coaches. There's no way the Knights would just dump him so quickly, they are only 3 points out of first place in the Pacific Division.

It will be awkward because Gallant is also the coach of the Pacific all stars.

zman

Cyburbian
The Avalanche need to realize that there are 3 periods in a hockey game.
Too many soft goals.
Need Carey Price to be traded (but that is an expensive contract to take on)

MY EMPIRE IS CRUMBLING!!!!! - Lament of an Avs fan...

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Gallant is probably another casualty of the culture change in coaches. There's no way the Knights would just dump him so quickly, they are only 3 points out of first place in the Pacific Division.

It will be awkward because Gallant is also the coach of the Pacific all stars.
If this was the case, you would expect a sudden removal followed by an interim coach. Instead they announced the hire of Pete DeBoer as his replacement.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Well.

That was a lot of fun. For the first time ever I saw the Sabres beat the Stars in Dallas in person. For some reason I was supremely confident that they would win tonight, and they squeaked out a nail biter for most of the game. They ended up scoring two empty net goals at the end so the score was a misleading 4-1 in what was really a tight game.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Couldn't watch the game last night, but if the Facebook fan group I'm in is to be believed (and they aren't), we need to throw away our whole team and try again.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Devils lost to the Caps last night. Not shocked there because the Devils really embarrassed them last week. Palmieri is also out with an injury.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Couldn't watch the game last night, but if the Facebook fan group I'm in is to be believed (and they aren't), we need to throw away our whole team and try again.
The mood swing associated with wins and losses has been brought up as a topic of discussion on our forum.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Apparently Dougie Hamilton broke his fibula last night so there goes our season.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
So it's pretty much all over but the crying for the Sabres. They play Detroit tonight and will likely beat them (who doesn't beat Detroit, amirite), but they're probably too far out of the playoff race to get back in.

I'm kind of disgusted by the talk on the Sabres forum but I can't quit it. I enjoy the schadenfreude too much.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Devils blanked the Flyers last night in Philly which was very satisfying. Blackwood was fantastic in the net, if only he could be consistently great. Although they've been out of the playoff race for a long time, they are playing scrappy games and making opponents work hard for wins. I respect that.

Still no new head coach and no GM. I don't think the Devils will hire for either until the end of the season or off-season. The trade deadline will be interesting to see if the Devils are in the selling mood and what that might look like.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Not sure if anyone's paying attention anymore, but an emergency goalie registered a win for the first time in NHL history Saturday night when David Ayers registered a win for the Carolina Hurricanes. Both of the Canes' goalies were injured during the game, so they signed the Zamboni driver for the Toronto Marlies (Leafs farm club) to a one game amateur contract. Sporting a Toronto Marlies mask and pads, he allowed 2 goals three shots in the second period, then shut out the high powered Leafs in the third to earn the win.

Ayres became just the third emergency goaltender in the modern era to play in the NHL, and he went out and set a few records. At 28:41, it’s the most ice time by an emergency backup in NHL history. He also became the first to win a game. And at 42 years and 194 days, Ayres is the oldest goaltender ever – emergency backup or otherwise – to win a regular-season debut.
This is very relevant to the Buffalo Sabres because they are trying to catch the Leafs for a playoff spot. Going into Monday's trade deadline, the Sabres trail the Leafs by 6 standings points with a game in hand. It could turn out that Ayers helps the Sabres make the playoffs.

The Sabres have won 5 of their last 6 games, the most recent being Sunday's 2-1 win over Winnipeg, with both goals being scored by 4th line grinder Kyle Okposo. Okposo has a compelling story: He missed big chunks of the last few seasons with concussions. One of the medications caused severe reactions and he ended up in the neurological ICU. He almost died. He also was suicidal from the effects of the medication. He's worked his way back into the lineup. He wasn't very effective last year, but this year found a home on the Sabres checking line which has emerged as one of the better ones in the league. In recent games the whole line has found its scoring touch; Okposo has 4 goals in his last 4 games. Considering all of his medical problems, his contract is widely considered to be an albatross; he has a cap hit of $6M for three years after this season. But if he can get back his scoring touch, he could be an important part of the team going forward.

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
I had the game on but wasn't really watching. I was doing other things, and came back to a random man in net with a Toronto mask on. I've never seen anything like that, completely wild.

He will be the siren sounder for tomorrows game in Raleigh, and the Raleigh Mayor declared it to be "David Ayers" day. Incredible.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
AIB Caddyshack -

Cinderella Story - Ayers

from Zamboni driver to emergency goalie to NHL game winner

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Ayers story was great.

I'm pissed that Andy Greene got traded to the Islanders. I think he only agreed to go because Lou Lamoriello is the GM there now.

We also traded Blake Coleman to Tampa Bay. The Devils will miss him something fierce.

About the only other players worth anything in a trade would be Wade Simmonds and Sami Vatanen. Simmonds is more likely since he's on an expiring contract. Vatanen is on injured reserve at the moment, I think he's worth keeping.

Devils are going to have a busy draft this year. They also need a GM and head coach.