• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

NHL Season Thread 2019-20

Doohickie

Cyburbian
About the only other players worth anything in a trade would be Wade Simmonds and Sami Vatanen. Simmonds is more likely since he's on an expiring contract. Vatanen is on injured reserve at the moment, I think he's worth keeping.
Simmonds to the Sabres for a 5th in 2020.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Haula and Wallmark (plus some prospects no one outside of the 'Canes fanbase would know) are on the move to Florida for Vinny Trocheck. Big upside, little downside I think. Haula was unlikely to re-sign in this offseason and he's a UFA so we'd have lost him for nothing. I like Lucas Wallmark quite a bit, but we have a lot of prospects who can fill his shoes AND he's an RFA this year so the cash he's looking at wouldn't be worth it. Trocheck is coming off of two pretty poor seasons after injury, but from what I've read, it may be more because of his dissatisfaction with the organization than it is about his actual health. If Rod can get him going, we just got a whole lot better.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The Sabres moved some lesser free agents and a 5th round pick to get marginally better. As a fan I see this as a potential huge win in terms of keeping most of the contributing free agents. Despite being on the outside looking in, the message from management is clear: they didn't dismember the team of major UFAs for futures.... the time to fight for, and hopefully earn, a playoff berth is NOW.

My biggest fear was that they would move Larsson and Girgensons, two of the three players on their checking line who are both UFAs after the season, for whatever they could get, and the team slipping right out of contention. Instead they picked up a promising younger player and a grizzled grit player. They're already playing well, I can see where the infusion of new players (and removal of dead weight) will make them a bit better and hopefully push them over the top and into the playoffs.

They have a steep road ahead to do it, but if they do, they'll have been playing at a high level for several weeks and might just win a round or two, which would be fantastic.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Not sure if anyone's paying attention anymore, but an emergency goalie registered a win for the first time in NHL history Saturday night when David Ayers registered a win for the Carolina Hurricanes. Both of the Canes' goalies were injured during the game, so they signed the Zamboni driver for the Toronto Marlies (Leafs farm club) to a one game amateur contract. Sporting a Toronto Marlies mask and pads, he allowed 2 goals three shots in the second period, then shut out the high powered Leafs in the third to earn the win.
[Sarcasm] No, I have not heard anything about it... [/sarcasm]
I have heard several comments about it and how Brind'amour is so good, he can beat you with your own Zamboni Driver in net. I also learned that he also practiced with the Charlotte Checkers a few years ago, so he knew a bunch of the Canes that were playing as well.

In regards to the trades, the Wings are picking up draft picks to start putting a team together in the next couple of years.

AG74683

Cyburbian
And Vatanen is going to the Canes.
Freaking love this trade. We gave up basically nothing of value (short term anyway) for a pretty solid d-man. He's currently on IR, but I see upside there. We traded for Brady Skjei too, which means at Pesce is probably out for a while. Vatanen has to be close to coming back though, otherwise what's the point in grabbing him?

FWIW, salary cap does not matter in the playoffs, so we could get Dougie and Pesce back and it wouldn't affect us any and we'd basically be completely stacked at defense. That's how the Blackhawks won a cup or two (Kane out on IR, came back during the playoffs).

I also learned that he also practiced with the Charlotte Checkers a few years ago, so he knew a bunch of the Canes that were playing as well.
He was actually the Checkers emergency backup just weeks before this whole thing.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Freaking love this trade. We gave up basically nothing of value (short term anyway) for a pretty solid d-man. He's currently on IR, but I see upside there. We traded for Brady Skjei too, which means at Pesce is probably out for a while. Vatanen has to be close to coming back though, otherwise what's the point in grabbing him?

FWIW, salary cap does not matter in the playoffs, so we could get Dougie and Pesce back and it wouldn't affect us any and we'd basically be completely stacked at defense. That's how the Blackhawks won a cup or two (Kane out on IR, came back during the playoffs).

He was actually the Checkers emergency backup just weeks before this whole thing.
Vatanen is a solid D man. The injury didn't sound too serious.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did not watch the Devils-Red Wings game last night because I was feeling crappy. I hear it was a testy match.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I watched the Leafs beat the Bolts and the Panthers beat the Coyotes. I was hoping for losses in both to set the stage for the great Sabres comeback.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The wild card race is heating up. Although half my team was traded and currently staffed by minor leaguers they are actually turning in some wins and playing spoilers for teams on the bubble.

Devils downed the Rangers 6-4 in the Garden which brought me great joy. This was after Zibanejad scored 5 goals against the Caps on Friday.

Poor Detroit....only 39 points in 70 games.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Morgan Geekie lit it up in his first NHL game. 2 goals, 1 assist against the Penguins.

AG74683

Cyburbian
'Canes starting to heat up down the stretch. 3 games in a row now, and by pretty substantial margins. Geekie scores another and Mrazek came back and did well last night.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Watching the documentary on the Russian Five, I realized my biggest frustration with the way they played this year. They play the dump and run Canadian model, were in the late 90s they played with the keep away pass and pass Russian model as they enter the zone.

it was just a great game to watch.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Watching the documentary on the Russian Five, I realized my biggest frustration with the way they played this year. They play the dump and run Canadian model, were in the late 90s they played with the keep away pass and pass Russian model as they enter the zone.

it was just a great game to watch.
The Russian Five were amazing.

Interestingly, the Sabres were playing possession hockey in the 3-man OT periods and with great success. Once they gained possession, they typically kept it until they eventually scored.