• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

NHL Trade Deadline Day

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
So, is anyone else out there glued to their radio this afternoon listening for the latest hockey trade news? How do you think your team did today?

Nerudite - we got "killer" back! And Phil Housley too...

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm glad I'm a Leafs fan...

... because the Oilers got majorly screwed on their trades today. Niinimaa for Isbister? Carter (!!!!) and Pisa for Dvorak and Cross... what the hell?!!

Yeah, Tran... I saw that old Gilmour is back. Is this his third or fourth stint now? That ought to get the team pumped again (or at least the fans). At least the Leafs are looking good at this point... too bad about the Oil though.

The Kings got two youngsters with little NHL experience and a first round pick. Now they have three picks in the first round. Hopefully they will get a goalie that can actually stop pucks.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hmmm...I thought there were a few more hockey fans out there than that. Oh well, I'm happy with the moves the Leafs made - though it would have been better if they had been able to scoop a better defenceman.

nerudite

Cyburbian
brake.turn.gas said:
The Kings got two youngsters with little NHL experience and a first round pick. Now they have three picks in the first round. Hopefully they will get a goalie that can actually stop pucks.
Awwww... Potvin always gets the bum rap. I've always liked him.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
My beloved Bruins made a couple of minor trades to help their terrible defense....but I hold little hope for this team once the playoffs start....

My big move of the day was the Patriots picking up Rosevelt Colvin from the Bears..... :)

donk

Cyburbian
Gilmour coming back to the leafs is like a bad movie sequel, each time he returns you forget why you liked him in the first place as he was never as good as the first time. OR maybe his dad has pull now that he has lifetime season tickets (I think that was the second time round).

Seriously, i am not a hockey fan, i just lived with them in university and those are comments they made.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
A recent hockey article...

...mentioned that Detroit, Toronto, and Philly were the big winners this year. Personally, I think that Detroit overpaid for Schnieder, but if he puts them over the top... it's worth it, right?

The Leafs made good moves to help the D corps, and Nolan was a good pick-up.

I think I like most about the Flyers trades is that Booby didn't overpay this year like he's prone to do. Amonte was a steal, and people forget about Lapointe, Yushkevich, and Kapanen.

For all four players, the O&B gave up:

Pavel Brendl
Guillaume Lefebvre
3rd round pick in 2003
4th round pick in 2003
5th round pick in 2003
2nd round pick in 2004
7th round pick in 2004

I just hope LeClaire and Gagne are ready for the play-offs...

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm so lost... I had no clue that Philly had Kapanen now. He's awesome... but for some reason, he just doesn't fit the Philly mold in my mind.

Colorado made a good move with Battaglia.

Who's left on poor Carolina beside Brind'amour now? ... I don't really need to know. I just wanted to say "Brind'amour" since you told me what it means in french. heh! ;)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
nerudite said:
I'm so lost... I had no clue that Philly had Kapanen now. He's awesome... but for some reason, he just doesn't fit the Philly mold in my mind.
Oh, I think so... He's done well so far. Philly needs some people to put the puck in the net.

nerudite said:
Who's left on poor Carolina beside Brind'amour now? ... I don't really need to know. I just wanted to say "Brind'amour" since you told me what it means in french. heh! ;)
You have such a filthy mind... I like that about you!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Oh! And "the saviour"!

And we got Pauly Shore back from Chicago, in a brilliant GM move by Clarke...

At least his daughter is happy.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
One other note.

The Rangers added MORE players to their payroll to try and make the play-offs... If life is fair, they won't make it.

Man I hate the blueshirts.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: One other note.

Mastiff said:
The Rangers added MORE players to their payroll to try and make the play-offs... If life is fair, they won't make it.

Man I hate the blueshirts.
Agreed...hope the fall short - they're 4 points out right now, aren't they?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: Re: One other note.

Tranplanner said:

Agreed...hope the fall short - they're 4 points out right now, aren't they?
Yep... Four points back, but the NYI have 2 games in hand.

Team Games Played Points

1. Ottawa 70 96
2. New Jersey 68 89
3. Washington 71 79
4. Philadelphia 68 85
5. Toronto 70 82
6. Tampa Bay 69 76
7. Boston 70 74
8. NY Islanders 69 71
9. NY Rangers 71 67
10. Montreal 70 66
11. Florida 70 65

nerudite

Cyburbian
It's nice to see teams like Tampa Bay doing well for a change. Maybe if they do well enough their prospects and young guys like Lecavalier will actually stick around.

I'd also like to see the Islanders do well... I'm all for the underdogs I guess. Which explains why I've liked the Leafs for so long. ;)

Runner

Cyburbian
I used to play hockey all the time as a kid. I was a big fan of Bobby Orr (I guess that ought to date myself). I'm not much of a sports fan though so I don't keep up with professional sports any more.

Although a Red Sox v. Yankees match up might strike an interest! Ah, the days in Fenway...

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
Runner said:
I used to play hockey all the time as a kid. I was a big fan of Bobby Orr (I guess that ought to date myself). I'm not much of a sports fan though so I don't keep up with professional sports any more.

Although a Red Sox v. Yankees match up might strike an interest! Ah, the days in Fenway...
Sox vs. Yanks series starts today..should be fun!!!