• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Non Attainment

poncho

Cyburbian
Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes, well the great EPA handed down its opinion today and placed my county in Non-attainment of the Clean Air Act. Has anyone here had this happen?

I work in a County that is 2/3 rural but becoming quickly urbanized. Commuters are the majority of newbies. I am not sure at this point what will happen. I know Fed Hwy money will be harder to obtain, but I would think this could open up more grant opprotunities? Comments, suggestions???

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We've been non attainment for a long time, and they recently expanded it north of us too. You'll get reformulated gas (costs more). The real issue is ozone related health problems.

mgk920

Cyburbian
Chet said:
We've been non attainment for a long time, and they recently expanded it north of us too. You'll get reformulated gas (costs more). The real issue is ozone related health problems.
They added four Wisconsin counties to that list, too.

Yes, I want someone to explain to me what kind of air quality problems Door County, WI is having. The other three Wisconsin counties added are Kewaunee, Manitowoc and Sheboygan. This will further economically devestate the Manitowoc/Two Rivers, WI area (they already have a double-digit unemployment rate), too, BTW. :-@

Interestingly, Brown County (the Green Bay area), Calumet, Outagamie, Winnebago Counties (the three are the Appleton/Oshkosh area), Saint Croix County (Suburban Minneapolis/Saint Paul) and Dane County (the Madison area) in Wisconsin are NOT on the EPA's list, despite their heavy growth and the industrial nature of the Green Bay/Appleton/Oshkosh area. B-)

Mike

Cardinal

Cyburbian
mgk920 said:
They added four Wisconsin counties to that list, too.

Yes, I want someone to explain to me what kind of air quality problems Door County, WI is having. The other three Wisconsin counties added are Kewaunee, Manitowoc and Sheboygan. This will further economically devestate the Manitowoc/Two Rivers, WI area (they already have a double-digit unemployment rate), too, BTW. :-@

Interestingly, Brown County (the Green Bay area), Calumet, Outagamie, Winnebago Counties (the three are the Appleton/Oshkosh area), Saint Croix County (Suburban Minneapolis/Saint Paul) and Dane County (the Madison area) in Wisconsin are NOT on the EPA's list, despite their heavy growth and the industrial nature of the Green Bay/Appleton/Oshkosh area. B-)

Mike
Chet is a part of that big Milwaukee dot.

I think the problem of the counties you mentioned is that they are next to Brown, Winnebago, and Fond du Lac Counties, and downwind.

mgk920

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Chet is a part of that big Milwaukee dot.

I think the problem of the counties you mentioned is that they are next to Brown, Winnebago, and Fond du Lac Counties, and downwind.
The explanations that I have heard have said that it is due to what blows northward from Chicago (mainly the industrial south side) and northwest Indiana, as well as from 'pollution' that is created naturally from the interaction of sunlight with the water of Lake Michigan. It has nothing at all to do with anything done within Wisconsin and it is very possible that whatever is done in Wisconsin (even in the Milwaukee/Racine/Kenosha area) will not have much of any effect on it. :-(

Mike

SGB

Cyburbian
I was pleased to learn that I'm amongst the 10% of the NY state population that lives in an attainment area.

:-D