• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Not yet a planner...

spokanite

Cyburbian
Hello eveyone...

I just joined the forum and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm finishing up my first year in grad school for a Masters in Urban Planning here in Spokane. It's a significant career change for me but I'm certainly enjoying it. This summer I'm off to DC for an internship. Good times. I've enjoyed reading your posts/discussions/opinions/etc.

See you around,

Brian

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from north of the Ohio and east of the Wabash Rivers.

Since you have been reading numerous threads,
Then you know that you are not the only one that has made either
a career, housing, family change.
It is good that you have an internship, have a good time in DC.

Last edited:

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Hi Brian!

Welcome to cyburbia. :)

PS:
Watch out as you may hear your name often but in different contexts in cyburbia. ;-)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings from the Hoosier maelstrom.
Make the best of the internship in DC -- sounds like a great opportunity.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Love the Avatar (defensive lawyer -- what was his name?). Martin Short on SNL --- but Brian, aren't you a little young to know of such things? Somethings are timeless. Welcome to the forum and don't party too hard in grad school. Of course it's not like you're going to Gonzaga or anything.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome to cyburbia!

Are you in EWU's program? I know a few people that graduated from that one several years ago that really enjoyed the program. I used to work in WA state, and it's a great place to be a planner IMHO.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Welcome from the Big Sky State. I've heard good things about the planning program at your university. Congrats on the internship.

spokanite

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Love the Avatar (defensive lawyer -- what was his name?). Of course it's not like you're going to Gonzaga or anything.
Thanks all for the welcome...

Budgie-A person can't be called a true fan of SNL if they haven't seen this skit. It's up there with the Men's Synchronized Swimming skit. Classic SNL. His name is Nathan Thurm. Ahh yes, the Zags...I've heard of them...but can't recall as to why... ;-) Are you from around here?

Nerudite-Yes I'm in the program at EWU. Small and good program which is very hands on. It's been great so far.

Brian

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome! I made the trip to Spokane last year and was impressed. There are some good examp0les of planning in that city, as I am sure you know. Feel free to post some pics.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Welcome from the town that Glenn Miller made famous: k-a-l-a-m-a-z-o-o spells Kalamazoo :8: .....well, OK I don't actually live in Kazoo, but rather a nearby bedroom community which is parasitically siphoning off valuable resources from the downtown area. :-D

Budgie

Cyburbian
Maister said:
Welcome from the town that Glenn Miller made famous: k-a-l-a-m-a-z-o-o spells Kalamazoo
I knew a guy who mangled his hand
so he went from pipe fitting to a hot dog stand
they say last year he clear fifty grand
selling dogs around Kalamazoo.

Real poetry.

Budgie

Cyburbian
spokanite said:
Are you from around here?
No, but I hung out with lots of debaters in college. In debating circles, Gonzaga was the place to compete, but not for the competition.;)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Welcome from a Southerner (with relatives in Spokane) currently living in the great city located at the confluence that creates the mighty Ohio.