• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Organizations NPC21 - APA National Planning Conference 2021

APA, CNU, CIP, RTPI, PIA, ULI, and other three- and four-letter acronyms.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Not. the session are worth either .25 or .75 CM

I only need 7 more CM's by the end of the year.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I made a choice to wait until the state conference. It is currently advertised as hybrid. Since it's in my metroplex, I plan on attending.

My boss will be at NPC21.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Not interested in virtual conferences. And like JNA said, fewer credit amount offered.

Excited to be going to a statewide administrators meeting at the end of May. Will be nice to be in the same room with colleagues from across the state. Even though we have to wear masks. Except when we eat. Because you know, COVID disappears when you're eating. :r:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a credit with APA so I am signed up - the virtual one last year wasn't bad - we should create a Cyburbia room if they have that ability

MacheteJames

Cyburbian
I'm going. I'm woefully short on credits and without it, I probably won't get my fill before my reporting period is up. Like others, I'll probably have to have one window open on work email and the other on the conference. I miss being able to disconnect from the office minutiae for a while at the IRL conferences.

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
omg we could go to the same session and have a sidebar zoom conversation going, yesszzz

yes 21.gif

dw914er

Cyburbian
So how many of y'all are doing the conference. I broke down and signed up for it because of the CMs.

I know that if I 'attend,' I'll be stuck in my office doing my normal duties while having the conference play in the background. Since I don't need the CMs, I won't be attending.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hard part of a multi day conference, and sometimes just one webinar that I have signed up for is guarding my calendar from meetings - I have some meetings during the conference so I am not happy about that - if I was gone to the conference, then these meetings would all have waited until next week

I do turn off my phone when I am in a webinar or on a zoom call

Does anyone know how you get in - do they send us the info? I am registered but I don't have any follow up yet of how to get in

TOFB

Cyburbian
The hard part of a multi day conference, and sometimes just one webinar that I have signed up for is guarding my calendar from meetings - I have some meetings during the conference so I am not happy about that - if I was gone to the conference, then these meetings would all have waited until next week

I do turn off my phone when I am in a webinar or on a zoom call

Does anyone know how you get in - do they send us the info? I am registered but I don't have any follow up yet of how to get in
I just did a dumb preview session and you can get right in from the Planning website as long as you are logged in.

See you all at the virtual yoga sessions . . . :r:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just did a dumb preview session and you can get right in from the Planning website as long as you are logged in.

See you all at the virtual yoga sessions . . . :r:

Yeah I likely won't be doing that -

I will set up a zoom time for anyone attending - is there a good time that works for people? Thursday maybe? 12 PM EST? Let me know

I will PM a zoom invite to everyone on this thread that said they are going

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Jeezus. So I signed up so I can get some credits. But I gotta tell you, I look at a lot of the sessions and I'm like:

giphy.gif

TOFB

Cyburbian
6 minutes in. I'm already annoyed. Why do I bother?
No kidding. Can one take off the stupid comments on the right side of the screen? Also, I tired to load my Fred Garvin avatar but the resolution is too low. Works fine here.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Taking the screen to full size hides the comments. So the keynote speaker presentation is merely a Q and A?

MacheteJames

Cyburbian
I'm having little luck with keeping my calendar blocked off this week enough to catch a meaningful amount of the conference - I think when folks know that a particular event is remote, there's little incentive not to schedule an internal meeting right in the middle of one or more sessions. :grimace:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
And now technical difficulties with the Ethics session. In my opinion, they should have just paused the CM requirements for one year instead of this debacle.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Holy shit. This ethics session is a train wreck. A year plus into a pandemic and virtual meetings you'd think APA would be better prepared so this stuff works.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I made it to work for ethics but missed the ones previous as I had to take my son to the doctor

I am in the ethics session

I'll set up a zoom for 12'15 EST tomorrow (Thursday) and send it out

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm in the ethics right now too. It's working well and the discussion frame is kind of fun.

edit: until just now...d'oh

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's hilarious that the poll isn't working and the speaker has no idea - I would have thought someone would have texted her by now lol

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Alternatively, at in-person confs...these sessions are in a giant space and half the people are totally distracted too, so... :cool:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
At 3:15p, I'm joining the Climate Migration, Managed Retreat, and Imagination: Thinking Big session.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I miss the genteel nod to people you know or might know when entering sessions, yes, lol - or a big hug hello too!
Particularly our regular 'conference buddies'. I've got a couple.

I actually posted a pre-session discussion in my sesssion's discussion frame to draw some of the planners out. We'll see if it works.