• If you're returning to Cyburbia, your old password should still work with your username. If you can't remember your password, you can reset it here. If your email changed, or you can't get into your account, follow these instructions.

Organizations 👥 NPC21 - APA National Planning Conference 2021

TOFB

Cyburbian
I wish folks would post snark - - maybe in another tab. . . I would.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
ugh my phone is starting to ring - this is what I miss about in person conferences - getting away from the phone!
I'm looking forward to having an in person conference after the past two. APA is doing the best it can, but there are fewer distractions with the in person conferences.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
In the Reimagining Public Spaces and Shared Streets session.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
For sure. What could possibly distract me from diligently attending all sessions next year in San Diego?
Are you saying there is usually a cool city outside the conference venue that may supersede one's desire to sit in a dingy session room fighting one's nod offs?

Hm.

:daydream:

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am going into the Planning Supervisor session but I have a 5:15 zoom meeting so I will have to hop off then

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm going to start the day with the Using a Design Approach for Recovery session at 10a EDT

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wanted to do the 11 AM multigenerational thing but I have a meeting - might try to move it

then our Zoom and then I am going to all sessions the rest of the day before my Appeals Board meeting tonight.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
We organized a virtual conference last year. It was superior to this, cost less, and offered way more CM credits.

We're doing a hybrid in-person and virtual this fall. I'm honestly done with large virtual conferences.

And don't even get me started on National's process for selecting sessions. Being told they liked your session idea but wanted more diverse voices is off-putting... and it just so happens the rest of the panel is diverse--I was just the one with time to submit the damn thing. I heard this from another person that submitted a session as well--someone that is kind of legendary and one of the first women to break the glass ceiling of planning director in a large city. Our profession (or at least our main professional org) sucks at equity/diversity/inclusion. APA is more interested in appearing to do something than actually doing something. And before anyone says anything, CNU and ULI are as bad or worse.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you want in on the noontime EST Zoom meeting today, just PM me and I will send you the invite

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The zoning session died out? I missed this as I got pulled into a 'hallway' meeting on my way to the restroom. :p

Doberman

Cyburbian
Seems like 80% of the content has grifts into social engineering themes of diversity, equity, inclusion, all the normal buzzwords.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Busy, busy day at work and only was able to sit in two sessions. This is the problem with the on line conferences. You get pulled away too much. With in person conferences, you're able to get away. I appreciate what APA is doing. It's just been a bit frustrating today.

Doberman

Cyburbian
Busy, busy day at work and only was able to sit in two sessions. This is the problem with the on line conferences. You get pulled away too much. With in person conferences, you're able to get away. I appreciate what APA is doing. It's just been a bit frustrating today.

Same, plus I also lack the discipline not to do other work and non-work related things during the sessions.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
My day starts with the climate action plan thing at 11 AM EST - I wanted to do the 10 AM virtual strategies one but I have a conflict with a meeting here ugh - hopefully it can be a quick check in so I can head in

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Seems like 80% of the content has grifts into social engineering themes of diversity, equity, inclusion, all the normal buzzwords.
Correct. I've been hearing that complaint--that people like the EDI emphasis, but that they are WAAAAAAAY off the mark in showing how to apply it in real-world planning.

Woopie you work in a jurisdiction with 100 languages. How is that relevant? What lessons can I apply to Littleburg, TX? How can I better infuse the issues created by 100 languages into how we write plans and codes? How can I better incorporate those issues into staff reports? How have you been successful in hiring for your department in ways more reflective of the community?

In other words, what is the practical application and transferability to other places? That used to be the key criteria for a national session.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Correct. I've been hearing that complaint--that people like the EDI emphasis, but that they are WAAAAAAAY off the mark in showing how to apply it in real-world planning.

Woopie you work in a jurisdiction with 100 languages. How is that relevant? What lessons can I apply to Littleburg, TX? How can I better infuse the issues created by 100 languages into how we write plans and codes? How can I better incorporate those issues into staff reports? How have you been successful in hiring for your department in ways more reflective of the community?

In other words, what is the practical application and transferability to other places? That used to be the key criteria for a national session.
I definitely noticed that this year. it would have been more helpful if they made it practical for us in the trenches.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I've certainly noticed it too, but instead of philosophically grumbling about it, I've decided to steer into the skid and be open minded about how I can use it.

If I'm in the middle of session and it's clearly not meeting my needs (literally or figuratively), I'll just drop and move to another session and that second on my list at that time slot. I used to do this at in-person conferences too.

MacheteJames

Cyburbian
I've certainly noticed it too, but instead of philosophically grumbling about it, I've decided to steer into the skid and be open minded about how I can use it.

If I'm in the middle of session and it's clearly not meeting my needs (literally or figuratively), I'll just drop and move to another session and that second on my list at that time slot. I used to do this at in-person conferences too.

So in such a case, which of the sessions do you log for credits? I always feel guilty about logging a session that I jumped into halfway through, and I usually don't do so. Maybe I should just log the sh!t out of those credits anyway; I know that I'm going to retain just a fraction of what I'd learn in an IRL setting either way.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
If I was in it for about 2/3 or 3/5 of the session, I'll log credits.

In the discriminatory workplace practices session right now. It's good and necessary especially given my management role.

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
If I was in it for about 2/3 or 3/5 of the session, I'll log credits.

In the discriminatory workplace practices session right now. It's good and necessary especially given my management role.
I'll do it if I sat through the entire session, most of the time.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Now in Equitable Economic Development session

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1620400651732.png

Doberman

Cyburbian

That's my biggest qualm as well. 90% of this rhetoric is How We Got Here, and the rest is about How We Move Forward. We need policies that show X is producing Y, and cost-benefits. Everyone at this conference knows about Red Lining already, if we don't start trying to quantify what we do or have done we are always going to be in our own echo chamber and sounding 'too plannery' to everyone else.

My whataboutism for this conference is that topics on rural and exurban communities are completely underrepresented. For instance, rather than infill, manufacturing sites are increasingly going on the periphery of metro areas in my region. This is presenting opportunities for meaningful employment in previously rural areas, but also challenges to infrastructure and character.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
@Doberman - I think the dearth of outcomes being shown is that, I think, we are literally at the beginning of finally addressing these questions head on with real possible momentum behind them.

I think we're probably about a 5-10 years from consistent and reliable outcomes data.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The keynote session is good and the discussion panel is great.