• If you're returning to Cyburbia, your old password should still work with your username. If you can't remember your password, you can reset it here. If your email changed, or you can't get into your account, follow these instructions.

Organizations 👥 NPC21 - APA National Planning Conference 2021

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was in that session as well.

Good to see Mitch Silver. He should be APA president.

He should be forever - like a Supreme Court judge

When he said how moved he was about all the racial inequity discussions, I got a little weepy - I know it was a lot this year but in light of what's been happening in the last couple of years and the fact that this profession hasn't taken this on in a real way ever before, I was happy to sit in on those sessions. I am lucky to work in a progressive community that has a social justice committee made up of diverse people that I am old enough to be their mom and I love it

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
WYP breaks the tape and gets all his CMs.
I now have 15.25 CM for carryover.

meme_Toyota-jump.jpg

Last edited:

bureaucrat#3

Anyone want to start a list of sessions worth going back to watch? I sat through a few and most were underwhelming, but I got to get those CMs. I didn't actually realize the keynote had begun because of the format. The one positive with the conference that I did notice, was most of the sessions seemed really brief.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Anyone want to start a list of sessions worth going back to watch? I sat through a few and most were underwhelming, but I got to get those CMs. I didn't actually realize the keynote had begun because of the format. The one positive with the conference that I did notice, was most of the sessions seemed really brief.
There are a couple I missed that I'm definitely going to go back to. The ones for designing for mental health and the restaurant conversion. If you missed the one on ethics, I would definitely check it out.

Last edited:

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I was in that session as well.

Good to see Mitch Silver. He should be APA president.

He is the incoming AICP President. Lots of chatter about this possibly being the first time the AICP President has a broader audience/louder megaphone than the APA President. And I very much like the idea of him shaping AICP. The certification itself has a number of structural equity issues, as does the PAB. We need more undergraduate PAB-accredited programs, and we need better geographic dispersion. You want to know a HUGE contributing factor to limited diversity in our profession? That's a big one.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Agreed about profession bound planning undergrad programs.

University of Michigan, of all places, only has the MUP program.

If I'd had access to an undergrad program in planning I would have bailed on my history BA, switched and avoided a ton of student debt.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Agreed about profession bound planning undergrad programs.

University of Michigan, of all places, only has the MUP program.

If I'd had access to an undergrad program in planning I would have bailed on my history BA, switched and avoided a ton of student debt.
Excellent news about Mitch. I am glad to hear it. We need to start a Mitch Silver fan club.

I switched my concentration from criminal justice (wanted to go to law school) to Planning. Naturally, they get rid of Planning once I switched. I ended up with a degree in Public Administration.

Doberman

Cyburbian
I got a lot out of the Machine Learning course. Admittedly, I am not as versed in the math behind it to try and run something like that.