• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Uses Number of animals inside corporate limits

Planawhat

Does anybody have any examples of zoning ordinances that spell out how many of each type of livestock animal is acceptable inside the corporate limits of a community? Also, does any one have examples of zoning regulations that require different setbacks if a person has livestock animals? I'm working in two small communities now that want to spell out how many animals they find acceptable in residential zones, as well as setback requirements, but they want to see some examples. Thus far, I have not had much luck finding any info. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it!!

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
Animal zoning is one of the most vexing of all endeavors because the nuisance potential of "urban" animals has a lot more to do with how they are managed than with numbers, setbacks, or other easy to regulate measures. There are a number of places that have setbacks -- Bonneville County, Idaho is an example that comes to mind -- but they are not very stringently enforced. There are also lots of places that regulate numbers, including Bonneville County, ID, sometimes in excruciating details. But these are not often enforced stringently because the task of monitoring changing numbers of animals is overwhelming, and because local officials learn soon enough that neighbors use such rules to carry out feuds among themselves. Performance standards are the most logical way to attack this issue, but it isn't easy to write them with much specificity: dust, odor, and the number of flies are hard to measure. Noise is measurable ot the extent that it is part of the problem. A standard prohibiting liquid runoff onto adjoining properties is also helpful.

PLANnear

Most Zoning By-laws I have ever seen prohibit livestock in residential areas. However, livestock is permitted in 'Rural' areas subject to compliance with a Minimum Distance Formula which is based on the maximum number of animals, types of animals, and the manure storage system. This goes for new and existing livestock operations, as well as new residential lots in a rural area. All of the details are not written in the By-law, it just says that development must occur in accordance with the Minimum Distance Separation Calculation. In our case this is a Provincial Standard..want more information talk to the Ontario (Canada) Ministry of Agriculture and Food website is http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/index.html

dms

Hi, I guess the issue has several facets. The basic question is what kind of animals are you trying to control in which specific type of zone. In my experience while livestock (Pet horses or goats or sheet, or pot bellied pigs) is a major issue in a residential zone, the number of general domestic type animals in a household can be an issue.
I have used a basic definition for farm animals and domestic animals. The key phrase in the definition for domestic animals is "animals living primarily in the home". Farm animals are limited to large lot properties - in Maine there is a Farm Ajacantcy law that sets a distance between residential properties and existing registered working farms - that has been used to establish a setback for fenced areas and the animals and boundaries.
As for a limit on the number of animals - I have used an abritary figure in a definition for like domestic animals. As for farm animals I think I would review agricultural standards for lot/area requirements. This should provide a limiting factor.
If I can provide any more assistance please contact me. Don

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We are a suburban City, 36 square miles, that is only 1/3 urbanized, and our ordinances do regulate # and type of animals. Its too complicated to put in apost, but a downloadable version is available at www.ci.muskego.wi.us by following the Ordinances link (you want Chapter 17).

Caveat - its a hideous & outdated ordinance in most respects, but for your purposes it can be a good reference.