• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Nuts

Which type of nuts do you find palatable?

• Walnuts

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Brazil nuts

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Pecans

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Cashews

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Peanuts (yeah yeah spare us the whole 'legumes' dissertation)

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Hazelnuts

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Almonds

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • I'm thinking of some immature/inappropriate response at the moment

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
One of the ways you know the holiday season is upon us is when grocery stores start prominently displaying the assorted in-shell nuts near the produce section. The varieties displayed usually include: walnuts, pecans, almonds, Brazil nuts, and hazelnuts. In a separate section, they will also stock and offer seasonal discounts on peanuts and cashews as well. When I was a kid we used to have a large wooden bowl that had a nutcracker affixed to it that we used to fill with nuts and placed it in the family room where we would crack nuts open and graze on them while watching tv. I tried to introduce that custom into my house but it's gotten a tepid response as neither Junior or Mrs. Maister are particularly fond of most types of nuts. So it's usually me grazing on them. Do you ever do the mixed nut/nutcracker thing at your homes?

Image result for mixed nuts

Bubba

Cyburbian
My paternal grandparents generally had some nut/nutcracker combination out year round, and my FIL does the same - keeps them in a bowl next to his recliner...(move along, no cliches to see here).

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
One thing that used to irritate my mother and absolutely sends Mrs. Maister into a rage is when shells wind up on the floor. And then someone steps on them. Ow.

My brother and I both had our own wooden nutcrackers that Santa left in our stockings one year. I still have mine and use it. It's shaped like a Popeye-esque sailor.

Image result for nutcracker wooden sailor and monkeys

DVD

Cyburbian
That is an awesome nutcracker, but how does it work on nuts other than walnuts? Brazil are the toughest to crack.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
None of the above - several dental episodes details are TMI

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I will eat cashews until you tear them out of my hands. Never done the nutcracker thing at home but now I want to.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like them all as long as they are roasted and not raw. Boiled peanuts are nasty.

Best nut supplier is www.nuts.com based in Cranford, NJ.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Personally, I find buckeyes rather atrocious. (Go Blue)

I often have a bag of almonds in my desk for afternoon snacking if I get hungry. Walnuts on the other hand cause me to have an allergic reaction.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
That is an awesome nutcracker, but how does it work on nuts other than walnuts? Brazil are the toughest to crack.
Actually, walnuts are occasionally the most problematic ones with this style of nutcracker. Sometimes those kind of nuts just don't fit into the sailor's mouth. Let me repeat that for emphasis:
Sometimes those kind of nuts just don't fit into the sailor's mouth. :halo:
But as far as almonds, pecans, and hazelnuts go it usually works just fine. Brazil nuts, however, can be a real bugger, as they have super hard shells and it's difficult to twist it hard enough to produce the force necessary to crack them. And apparently, that's not a problem limited to nutcrackers, because one year there were a handful of leftover nuts in the bowl and I decided to be nice and put them outside for the squirrels to eat. Well, the squirrels chowed down on the leftover almonds and hazelnuts no problem, but when it came to the Brazil nuts they struggled mightily with their powerful jaws and sharp teeth biting down on the shells until their little bodies shook with the effort, but, alas could not get them to break! That was kind of entertaining.

I will eat cashews until you tear them out of my hands. Never done the nutcracker thing at home but now I want to.
Please tell us you're not that guy at the party that makes his way to the can of mixed nuts......and proceeds to pick out all the cashews!!! Please tell us that's not you

Reactions: DVD

Planit

Cyburbian
At a previous city hall I worked in, there are 2 pecan trees that produced a ton of nuts. I cracked many nuts from those trees and were rewarded with a pie or cake from Mrs. P

Might have to visit those trees again.

kms

Cyburbian
Actually, walnuts are occasionally the most problematic ones with this style of nutcracker. Sometimes those kind of nuts just don't fit into the sailor's mouth. Let me repeat that for emphasis:
Sometimes those kind of nuts just don't fit into the sailor's mouth. :halo:
But as far as almonds, pecans, and hazelnuts go it usually works just fine. Brazil nuts, however, can be a real bugger, as they have super hard shells and it's difficult to twist it hard enough to produce the force necessary to crack them. And apparently, that's not a problem limited to nutcrackers, because one year there were a handful of leftover nuts in the bowl and I decided to be nice and put them outside for the squirrels to eat. Well, the squirrels chowed down on the leftover almonds and hazelnuts no problem, but when it came to the Brazil nuts they struggled mightily with their powerful jaws and sharp teeth biting down on the shells until their little bodies shook with the effort, but, alas could not get them to break! That was kind of entertaining.

Please tell us you're not that guy at the party that makes his way to the can of mixed nuts......and proceeds to pick out all the cashews!!! Please tell us that's not you
Do people do that?

It could explain why I have a bag of almonds that seems to be mislabeled as mixed nuts. I don’t know who would have taken the best ones, considering that I live alone.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have thrown dinner parties where the final course is nuts that need a nutcracker and oranges - it's a fun way to end a dinner

Reactions: kms

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Why am I not surprised cashews are the most popular nuts. Also not surprising to see Brazil nuts at the bottom of the popularity scale: not only are they a pain to open, but the flavor isn't that great either. Who here remembers having older family members referring to Brazil nuts with a decidedly less PC name?

kms

Cyburbian
Why am I not surprised cashews are the most popular nuts. Also not surprising to see Brazil nuts at the bottom of the popularity scale: not only are they a pain to open, but the flavor isn't that great either. Who here remembers having older family members referring to Brazil nuts with a decidedly less PC name?
I like Brazil nuts and yes.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
n!@@#$ toes? My roots are cop and very blue collar in a heavily immigrant, industrial area, so yes.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I find Brazil nuts awful but I'd never heard that term until the first time I got together with my ex's family and someone said it. I'm not the most PC person around but even almost 27 years ago I was like "uhhhh, what???".

DVD

Cyburbian
The local grocery store has no bulk bin of nuts yet. I am writing a lengthy letter to the manager now.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
As much as I love them, I am not looking forward to preparing the chestnuts for Thanksgiving stuffing

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My parents always had big things of mixed nuts out all year long along with a nutcracker, but more so during the holidays of course. Unroasted, walnuts are my favorite but I enjoy most every kind. Once roasted, I'll happily enjoy all of them! I buy bags of assorted roasted mixed nuts all the time still and all of us in our house enjoy them but my oldest daughter is one of those people who will sit there and pick out all the almonds or macadamia nuts. My dad makes up a gift basket for us each year with fancy cheeses and sausages and stuff and always includes a big bag of pistachios. My daughter would eat the entire bag in one sitting if we let her.

I liked Brazil nuts as a kid. I think I enjoyed the challenge of opening them. These days I realize that if they aren't already shelled, the taste isn't worth the effort. I had never actually heard the non-pc name for them until I was a teenager and a black co-worker of my dad's was over for a Christmas party and he saw a bowl of nuts on the counter and said something along the lines of, "Oh! N.....Toes! I love these!" I think he saw the look of shock on my face and nearly died laughing.