• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

NYE Parties ???

Jeff

Cyburbian
So what are your plans for Wednesday night?

Me ... I'm still very much up in the air as usual. I'm looking for debauchery ... gotta have debauchery on NYE.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Well I had plans to go to the Kennedy Center but Steve veto'd and now we have some gala at his brothers house...how gala can it be? Least I dont have to try to figure out how to get in that black gown after all the eating the last week.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Get the kids to bed.

Have a nice dinner with my wife.

Probably not see midnight. Didn't last year. Although i think BC and Colorado State play a late bowl game. Might watch that.

I have lost interest in New years eve revelry.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
No plan yet either.

Have several opportunities to get outta the house and socialize, but I've been busy every weekend in Dec with 1-3 social obligations per weekend and I'm getting pretty burned out.

Likely have dinner with the G-Friend, meet some friends for drinks and watch fireworks at midnight, then ring in the new year with my own fireworks.

donk

Cyburbian
No serious plans yet, probably won't happen know until Wednesday. Only thing I do know is that I don't have a date.

Do know that it will in Saint John and that beer will be consumed. Other than that who knows?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
No clue. I know Mrs. Tranplanner would like to head out somewhere and celebrate. Not sure what we will end up doing.

BKM

Cyburbian
I'm pretty boring. NYE is pretty much my least favorite holiday. I don't really like FUN FUN FUN events very much.

I think I'll bring a bottle or two of wine over to the sister's house and we'll have a family party. Not too exciting, but...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Nothing. I don't know many people here yet, and going to a party alone can be a bummer. (I did that one year, and ran into an old girlfriend who was on a date.)

I'll probably just stay at home and go to bed early.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I view NYE as amatuers night so I stay home...and have for a few years now. I have my eye on a couple of special wines in the basement that I'll be opening.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
RichmondJake said:
I view NYE as amatuers night so I stay home...
You lifted the words right off my keyboard -- too many damn drunks on the road instead of at home where they should be.
Mrs. Gedunker and I will enjoy some QT and some decent bubbly. I'll probably be asleep come midnight Newfoundland time...

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
i've heard rumors of going to boston...

but it will probably be new year's, tech valley style

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Going to a family-friendly BBQ at a nearby springs, should see some folks from way back/high school. Should be an early evening. Hopefully get to bed early unless the morons across the street have yet another out of control party.

I'm not really into going out on NYE. I much rather stay at home away from the falling bullets, drunk drivers and general strangers whom I rather not be around when the new year comes in.

Last year we stayed in at my request, so this year, I'm letting BEK plan the night.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hmm... I don't decide much what my family will do for NYE..I'd prefer a close family celebration, but it'll probably be just like last year... a (boring for me and my brother at least) BBQ at the house of the Grandmother of the husband of a cousin of mine... Too many people, not many things to talk about with them= boredom.

Rem

Cyburbian
As the kids with the in-laws, Mrs Rem and I are planning to put the boat on the water, have a quiet drift around fishing, then watch the fireworks (there are several fireworks venues around the lake). You avoid most of the drunks on the water.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
RichmondJake said:
I view NYE as amatuers night so I stay home...and have for a few years now.
EXACTLY!

Two years ago was my first stay at home N/Y/E. But I was going through the worst part of my separation/divorce and had a minor car accident in the morning so I was in NO mood to par-tay.

Last year I spent a quiet night in with a new S.O. and just avoided the madatory socialization that went with the par-tay.

This year we're travelling to par-tay with some college friends of mine that just bought a 5 bedroom house with a kick-arse wet bar (all original circa 1950-something). A house that size automatically nominates them to host EVERY N/Y/E as long as they live there.

I will never again - I swear - do another N/Y/E or St. Pat's day. And those that have seen me at a Laefest or Alefest know that thats a stretch for me. ;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Planderella said:
Last year we stayed in at my request, so this year, I'm letting BEK plan the night.
I see *someone* passed her marraige counseling classes. :)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Don't know yet.....will probably hang with Planner Groupie and play it by ear.....

Jeff

Cyburbian
New Years Day is pretty much the party day for me, and it look slike this year is shaping up to be the same. Not much on NYE, and then the Mummers on NYD ... Go Froggy Carr !!!

tsc

Cyburbian
dinner at home... and good wine. Having broiled scallops teriyaki.. some assorted pot stickers and eating with chopsticks.....woo-hoo.....

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Looks like it will be a romantic dinner for two tonight - I think we'll head over to my brother's later in the evening and usher in the new year with him and his wife.

New Year's Day will be the final push on the kitchen...hopefully have pics to post on Monday.

martini

Cyburbian
I think we've got a pretty mellow evening planned. Going to a freinds new house for drink and good times. We MAY go out, not sure yet(I am in kind of a partyish mood right now). Jan 1 though is reserved for the Speed channel and an all day recap of the '03 WRC series! That'll be fun!

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
And your not right now? Should have brought some hooch to work;)
Went out for lunch today, and had a beer and a half. I'm beginnniiiinnng toooo feeeeellllll veeerrrry sleeeeeppy.

Midnight is a long way away

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
LOL... 7 hours to go... for me... :) And it won't be as boring as last year....this year it'll be just an extended family celebration.

Well, JNL must be already recovering from the hang-over from NYE :p

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
Happy Holidays everyone!!

Tonight, I am an amateur. I am on a mission to kiss some random hot guy, get as trashed as possible, and hopefully end up in a real bed somewhere. :)

I'm in Texas this holiday, so there's no stopping me!

Actually, I'm just going to have a great time. I have the best pick up line and I can't wait to use it!

Cheers and good times!

H

Cyburbian
we just canceled our "fancy" dinner reservations and decided to all sit in my court yard, grill out and get stinking drunk!! I cant wait!!

Happy New Year Everyone!! :-D :b:

SGB

Cyburbian
It'll be a quiet evening at home for our family.

We will try to stay awake until midnight, but with our son likely to wake us up before 6:30am there is no guarentee we'll make it to see the New Year arrive.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I had given up partying on NYE so long ago....
it started when I volunteered for that shift as a Firefighter/EMT
and responded to some accidents between 1and 3 am
then I gave up drinking
so like several you others
no plans, no date, in bed at my usual time, no fun
oh well.