• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

What school? 🏫 NYU, Hunter, or Pratt

ivanplombardi

I've been accepted to all 3. Hunter is cheapest, Pratt is design based, NYU is policy based. Any current/former students at any of the 3 care to weigh in?

MacheteJames

Cyburbian
I didn't go to any of these three schools, but I worked closely with alums of all of them for years when I was a planner in the NYC metro area. All three schools produce high quality candidates for junior planner positions. What are your goals, professionally? Do you want to stay in the NYC area? Do you see yourself more as a public sector planner, or a consultant? I can tell you that of the three programs, I came across the fewest NYU grads, FWIW.

ivanplombardi

I didn't go to any of these three schools, but I worked closely with alums of all of them for years when I was a planner in the NYC metro area. All three schools produce high quality candidates for junior planner positions. What are your goals, professionally? Do you want to stay in the NYC area? Do you see yourself more as a public sector planner, or a consultant? I can tell you that of the three programs, I came across the fewest NYU grads, FWIW.

I am interested in both public sector and consulting, but maybe leaning more toward consulting after having some experience in the government. Ideally, I see myself bouncing back and forth between private and public sector roles. The Dept of City Planning, Economic Development Corp (NYCEDC) and Dept of Transportation all interest me, but I'm also excited by private firms like Sam Schwartz, Alta Planning + Design, and WXY Studio. I want to begin my career in NYC with the option to relocate to somewhere like London or Montreal if the opportunity arises.

glutton

Cyburbian
The private firms you mentioned are all pretty technical - in that case I’d go with the design based program.

for working abroad, the unfortunate reality is that they often do look at university name recognition :/. So maybe NYU for that only if you’re really really serious about working abroad. Otherwise I’d go with Pratt since you seem to be more interested in design and technical/physical planning and you also said you have a preference for consulting.