• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

ODBC and me

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Our staff GIS person and I where wondering about the possibility of having links between a code enforcement data base in Microsoft Access and our ArcGIS (8.3). But the question is how do we go about it with out recreating our database. We where kind of thinking about using an ODBC and Geo database. What information can you TECH people share with me?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
You should be able to join the tables by a common field like tax key/parcel ID.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Although you'd have to periodically export and import, you could export the access database to an excel spreadsheet and import to your GIS provided you have a common field, typically the parcel id number.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
You should be able to join the tables by a common field like tax key/parcel ID.
Repo Man has got it. We recently connected our traffic signal database in Access to ArcView, so a layer can be put on maps for signal locations. Although aren't they phasing out Access and implementing a new similar application?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
No, with the link, you should be able to update your code enforcement stuff and the link to the Geodatabase would automaticaly update your data.

You shouldn't have to update the map at all. Your database will update the map for you.