• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Oddspot: onion tide

JNL

Cyburbian
In the local news this morning:

Warning: know your onions
20 February 2004

People have been warned not to eat thousands of onions found floating on Porirua's inner harbour and strewn along Kapiti and Porirua coastlines.

Members of the public have been picking up the onions washed onto beaches between Otaki and Porirua as a result of this week's storm.

Porirua City Council environment and regulatory services manager David Rolfe said the onions may have been contaminated by raw sewage from systems that had been overwhelmed.

Kapiti Coast District Council public relations adviser Tony Cronin said turnips, potatoes, kiwifruit, pumpkin, a dead goat and a television set had washed up on Paraparaumu Beach.

With a king tide due overnight, it was likely more produce would be washed up today, and people were strongly advised not to eat any, he said. The council would start a cleanup today.

el Guapo

Capitalist
"The Kapiti Coast District Council further warned people against eating the brown onions." :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
In New Zealand you have fruit and vegetables washing up on the shore. In the United States we get hypodermic needles and used diapers.

donk

Cyburbian
Better than the body of a missing fisherman that turned up in Black's Harbour last week.

JNL

Cyburbian
donk that is sad :(

Cardinal - I remember when my family hosted some Japanese exchange students and we took them to the beach and they wanted to know where all the rubbish was, and we were like 'what rubbish?' and they thought the beach must have already been cleaned that day... I don't think they believed us that there was no cleaning required!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
JNL said:
What I wanna know, is what's up with the scary lady on the right? Look at her eyes!
Weird... Her face tells me she already ate a few onions :p

Here you'll likely find plastic bottles, shoes, and wood and nets from fishing boats.

JNL

Cyburbian
SkeL - we do get some rubbish too, just not lots of it. Plastic would be the biggest offender - bottle caps, bottles, containers etc.

There's a whole lot of tree trunks and massive branches along the foreshore at the moment after all the flooding - quite a sight!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
JNL said:
SkeL - we do get some rubbish too, just not lots of it. Plastic would be the biggest offender - bottle caps, bottles, containers etc.
They don't say "Hecho en Chile"*, do they? If so, I'm sorry... :-$

* Translation (for the ones that don't understand anything of spanish) : Made in Chile. :p

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
el Guapo said:
"The Kapiti Coast District Council further warned people against eating the brown onions."
It's because they're genetically engineered onions, isn't it?

However, Rolfe said the dead goat, being GE free, is safe for human consumption.

:D