• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Off-Site Woodland Mitigation

nerudite

Cyburbian
Mitigation for what exactly? For development of a woodland property, for tree removal on private property, etc.? I have a lot of environmental information handy... just need to know more about your particular situation.

Okay...when a developer can not met a certain preservation standard for woodlands my municipality allows mitigation. We are comtemplating the idea of allowing the developer to do it off-site in a municipal park but do not have a policy or ordinance established regarding such a mitigation.

nerudite

Cyburbian
This site has good information. It has some references and discussion about tree banking (which is what you are calling woodland mitigation).

The City of Vancouver WA (a former employer of mine) had tree replacement standards that allowed off-site and in-lieu payments: http://www.ci.vancouver.wa.us/vmc/Title_20/96/index.html (it's in the tree replacement subsection).

I will look through my ordinance library and see if I can find any references that may suit your needs better.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
AntiPlannerMovement said:
I think we're seeing a kinder, gentler version of APM here.... :)

In my town we also allow for mitigation of trees lost in construction....our standards (from the landscape design standards of our site plan regulations) are as follows:

Preservation of Existing Vegetation
1. Buildings, parking, loading docks, access roads, and other site elements shall be sited to preserve existing healthy mature vegetation and maintain natural topography to the maximum extent feasible.
2. Healthy trees with a minimum 12 inch caliper, and existing wooded areas are recommended for preservation, particularly those trees located within setback areas where buildings cannot be constructed.
3. Construction activities and site alterations shall not disturb the root zone of the trees designated for preservation. During construction, the applicant shall install and maintain tree protection fencing, or other protective measures approved by the Planning Board, located 12 inches off the drip-line of the trees to be protected. All no-cut zones shall be appropriately monumented and delineated on the site plan.
4. The applicant shall be responsible to replace any trees designated to remain, which have been damaged, killed, or removed as a result of construction activities. The Planning Board requires replacement-in-kind, per caliper inch of deciduous trees and by height for evergreens. Two inch caliper deciduous trees and 4 foot tall evergreens shall be the minimum size used for replacement. For example, if a 24-inch caliper deciduous tree is damaged or killed during construction, the applicant shall replace the tree with six 4 inch caliper trees, or any other combination that adds up to 24 caliper inches. A 36-foot tall evergreen, for example shall be replaced with six 6 foot tall evergreen, or any other combination adding up to 36 feet.