• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Office Characters

Which one are you?

• Slob - never cleans up after himself/herself yet the first to complain about others' uncleanliness (

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gossiper (AKA Snitch) - knows the 4-11 on everyone's personal and professional lives (sometimes with

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Know-It-All - no need for explanation

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Mother - takes care of everyone; always has medicine, home-cooked food, etc.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Martyr - works excessively (and sometimes unnecessary) long hours and wants to entire world to know

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Bitch/Bastard - can be selfish and stubborn, his/her own needs are considered before others; his/he

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other - I will explain below

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • The young hipster/baby

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I'm still the office baby. I'm the youngest town employee (at nearly 29, although I wasn't for about 1 1/2 years...until the Jr. Engineer left)....so I'm the one everyone wants to know about my wedding, my daughter, etc., etc.

Terraplan

Cyburbian
Altruistic Egoist

Although I freely admit I'm the office Bastard, I do it to get the most for our company - even if it means dictating the office mood, and the moods of every local authority in the city...

Habanero

Cyburbian
Okay, I'm the listener/biotch. Everyone comes by to tell me their personal issues, but they all know it won't go anywhere. What is said in my office stays here if it isn't work related. Now.. if they talk too loud and others hear them, that's not my problem.
If I keep getting interrupted when I'm on the phone though, I turn into the office biotch. That, or if the planner that picks on me for being so young smacks me in the back of the head with a stack of papers DURING the study session, yeah, then I'm not so nice and not such a good listener the next day.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Psychotic

You just never know which Mastiff will show up on any particular day.

Glomer

Green

Young....don't completely have a handle on everything. (of course this is only my fourth day in private sector)

Bucky alum

I'm a marytr and green

Right now I work for an airline as a financial analyst, which means in the time that I have been in this industry a little over 2 years all we have done is cut costs and lay off people (myself included). i believe there is another round of cuts coming through and I'll probably get the ax myself, stupid job title has nothing to do with what I actually do... and yet I am working until 8-9 each night trying to find a way to save any extra money so someone else can keep their job.

I am also green in that I speak my mind to my bosses boss. He enjoys that as most others don't and therefore he comes to me quite often. unfortunately, I don't always end up playing the politics perfectly which gets me in trouble sometime.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I'm a slob, but I don't complain about everyone else. I also have the genetic disposition to be the know it all. My fathers side of the family is real bad that way. I try to fight it but my wife would say that I am not very successful at it.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Follow up to being the office "baby"

Another drawback to being younger than everyone....I'm considered to be the "Computer Guy." Whenever the IT director is unavailable (or even when he's available for that matter), I get phone calls and e-mails about computer problems or the ever present "how do you do this?" questions.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Crackpot / Encyclopedia

The crackpot: (not to be confused with crack head)
You never know if I'm going to come in with my head shaved (or dyed blonde). You also never know which 'little problem' is going to send my blood pressure screaming through the roof, making my voice the pitch of a howler monkey.

The Encyclopedia: Everyone calls me to find out what should be on agendas, and where I will be getting them the support materials. Hello. We have an engineer. We have a Clerk. We have a Finance Director. GET IT FROM THE REPONSIBLE PARTY!

Tom R

Cyburbian
character

A cross between a sage and a dirty old man. Actually I'm just stacking time and keeping a moving target. Harder to hit. But my mind is like a steel trap......a little rusty and illegal in 27 states.

I added young hipster/baby since we were getting a lot of those, me included. I'm almost exactly what NH said, except no kids - and I'm the only one in my office without kids, and the youngest by 10 years. In general society, I would definitely NEVER classify myself as a "young hipster", but in this crowd, that's who I am, in addition to being the department IT gal (specialty is teaching everyone how to use MS Office and their email, in addition to doing all their more challenging internet searches).

el Guapo

Capitalist
I'm the eclectic moody young (for this office) guy with a wide palette of biting sarcasm and I carry a bag full of lightning fast retorts. The true-believer and ethical puritan that finds fault in all politicians. The guy who makes more coffee than he drinks. The computer guy. The only functioning strong back. The runner off of bad neighborhood riffraff and the guy that makes sure the email works. I’m a lazy overachiever and likeable Cliff Claven.

NHPlanner

Staff member
KMateja said:
I added young hipster/baby since we were getting a lot of those, me included.
And I modified my vote accordingly. :)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Yes thanks for the baby choice-thats me

im the youngest, dave and i are some of the newer City employees and we are unmarried folks from out of state-needless to say the office broom hildas and mother hens are always sneaking around.

the latest is trying to guess when the latest boyfriend will ask me to get hitched-as if!

i enjoy being the young hip person

im not fearful to go...INTO THE CITY!!!! (i dont get why they fear it)

PlannerGirl said:

im not fearful to go...INTO THE CITY!!!! (i dont get why they fear it)
Duh. because they will be killed for crack money, of course! (sadly, my husband has some of this old suburban lady fear syndrome and will only visit Schenectady or Troy under severe nagging and we haven't been shot yet)

Actually Danie, your broom hildas are more likely to get shot in the suburbs than in the city this week.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Dont remind me i just got in from shopping and im tired of running zig zags in the parking lot like this is some war zone.

the stress is getting to folks big time

but yes it seems safer IN the city now than the burbs

nerudite

Cyburbian
How about Circus Ringleader?

I seem to be the one in the know (despite being from a different country) and I can figure out most problems. I'm a mid-level supervisor, which means I have to do all the regular work that the other planners do (but more political) + I get to run the planning program on a day to day basis. Since my office feels like a circus half the time, I think this best describes it.

I'm the third youngest in the office (I just hired a planner that is 25), and the other guy is a week and a half younger than me. The whole place is young/hip (the director is 41 and fairly cool), but I think I'm the one that leads the most single of the lifestyles (attend ska/punk/rock concerts most every week, go to parties, etc.).

I think I would also qualify as the know it all... or at least I think I do. ;)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
We don't have enough office interaction to pick up characterizations. I guess I'm the baby with an attitude.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I was the youngest by 10 years until we hired a new Planning Assistant. My place of employment is dull. There are really no characters here. I would fall into the young hipster category. I am the only one that seems to not have a spouse and/or kids. It is always fun to come in on Monday with tales of fun parties/bars/events from the weekend! I get strange looks when people come in to my office and hear rap, punk, metal, or indie music coming from my stereo.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Yeah I'm the young one too (27) but not treated like it. Unlike my last job.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Crackpot / Encyclopedia

bturk said:
You also never know which 'little problem' is going to send my blood pressure screaming through the roof, making my voice the pitch of a howler monkey.
BTW - I call this the "Frank Costanza Syndrome"

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Know-it-all. Planner, code enforcement officer, computer guru, graphic design guru, and "town concierge" as I've recently renamed my position. I was on a quiz bowl-type television show in high school, and my friends often say I have more useless knowledge stuffed in my brain than anyone else they've met. I also have more than my fair share of "well, the way we did it in [New Mexico, Colorado] was ..." tales.

I would say a wee bit of martyr, but the thing is I have to work 50-60 hours a week. Otherwise, I'd fall even further behind. I had good 37.5 to 40 hour workweeks at other jobs, so it's not like I'm going out of my way to commit karojisatsu; I've had plenty other opportunities to do so in the past, if I really wanted to.

My phone is ringing now ... seriously. Yup, still at work - 6:30. Screw it. Outta' here.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Well, my name says it all, doesn't it?
Actually, I'm the one who plans/executes the most devious practical jokes in the office.
Right now, I'm enjoying the satisfaction of having all my former co-workers calling me for info/advice after I left my most recent hell-on-earth zoning job. I really like zoning, but the boss, yech!

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Know-it-all. (M)y friends often say I have more useless knowledge stuffed in my brain than anyone else they've met.
Ditto for me, Dan. I get called know-it-all because my useless knowledge reservoir runs deep.

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
I guess I'm the know it all. Lots of useless information. Although I am treated as the baby of the group, despite being the same age as three others in the office, and the general fixit person, particularly when it comes to IT. But that's what I get for still being a student and having a degree in computer science...

donk

Cyburbian
I guess I am the bastard, as my mood tends to permeate the office.

The native name assigned to me is "dark cloud - crusher of dreams"

My other thing is know it all, mostly because I remember applications and talking to a person and the rough date. Don't always remember their name, but I do remember their application and property.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Another office baby here --- I'm the youngest of the bunch at 29. Single (until Saturday anyhorn), and no kids.

Social Butterfly --- I'm always trying to get something organized - Christmas lunch, 4th picnic, beers after work

Straight Shooter --- the one that will tell you like she sees it, without being too tactless :)

SW MI Planner said:
Another office baby here --- I'm the youngest of the bunch at 29. Single (until Saturday anyhorn), and no kids.

Social Butterfly --- I'm always trying to get something organized - Christmas lunch, 4th picnic, beers after work

Straight Shooter --- the one that will tell you like she sees it, without being too tactless :)
I'm exactly the same, except I'm no longer the youngest in the office. In addition to planning the social events, I also organize the charity drives like United Way and March of Dimes, 5k run/walks, etc.