• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Office "Cleanliness"

Do you keep a "clean" desk?

• Yes...I need the space to spread out plans!

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • No...stuff keeps accumulating faster than I can process the stuff already there

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • Desk? I don't need no stinkin' desk...I've got my PC/Laptop!

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I hate to have things accumulate on my desk...but things have been so busy lately that I can't keep up with the stuff that's piling.

Anyone else find this to be the case? I've met very few planners that keep a clean desk....

Cardinal

Cyburbian
A table and many bookshelves help, but I still have to spread out onto the conference table in the next room sometimes. The view over my desk....

The only planner with a clean desk in our office is the director's. The rest of us look like a filing cabinet exploded over our office. Which isn't that far from truth.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Office Part 1

It's Plan Commission preparation week and the final days to prep for my national conference session, so I'm messier than usual. My desk is usually clean becasue I am notoriously anal retentive. (or is that anal-retentive...)

*note the open browser window on the PC*

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Office part 2

We have enough free space that I can dedicate a wall to "educational purposes" such as displaying native fishes...

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
My office looks like a paper-recycling facility - but at least I know where everything is (more or less). I wish I had a digital camera so I could show you all the sea of paper I'm drowning in...

NHPlanner

Staff member
bturk wrote:
We have enough free space that I can dedicate a wall to "educational purposes" such as displaying native fishes...
Here's the rest of my "spacious" office....

Last edited:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Envy rebuttal

Oh NHPlanner - we have lots of places that look like that. Just no the Director's office, which also doubles as a conference room.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Class D office space

Perfect timing.

I took this picture a few days ago, for a report regarding a planned new municipal building.

By the standards used by real estate leasing professionals, I work in what's considered "Class D" office space. Let's see ... a 1,200 square foot building built in 1910, with almost no thoughtful renovations, much less repairs, since its construction. (My house, if you count the lanai, has more than twice the GFA as Town Hall!) Roach and termite infestation. A folding table is my desk; a Sauter desk found in the trash several years ago is my bookshelf. The fluorescent lamps overhead emit a buzz that's envied by the cops, if only because they want something that intimidating for their interrogation room. The Barney Miller precinct house is sheer luxury by comparison, I kid you not.

All the planning files will eventually be stored in two rusty 40 year old file cabinets. That's all my file storage area. You see, there was no planning file system in the past -- I'm creating one now from scratch, sorting through (and tossing many of) the literally hundreds of rolled plans and unmarked manila folders.

What's on the other side of the door? The rest of Town Hall. The Town Commission meets in the "annex," a portable building designed to be a construction field office. There's a door on the other side of my office, which leads outside -- so before you think "hey, it's not a cubicle," consider that my office is used as a shortcut between the Town Hall "lobby" and the "annex." There's also an old water fountaiin in my office, which is used by several thirsty ... and very loud ... schoolchildren daily.

Why so bad? I work for a town that, until very recently, had no property tax, almost no full-time staff, almost no development, and almost no revenue. Now that there's revenue and impact fees coming in, there's going to be a new, much-needed municipal complex -- and Town Hall will be gutted and rehabbed. That is, in two years.

I might complain, but ... it used to be worse. Before the "annex" was brought in, my office used to house two full time employees, with the finance director's "office" in a small 6'x6' kitchen just to the right of the image. Besides, we all have incredibly fast, loaded computers (that I built :) ), and we've got the luxury of high speed Internet access and a color laser printer.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
1200 square feet for how many employees?! I have 1250 for just my personal office and conference room. The whole building is 7500 square feet including storage, bathrooms, elevator, etc. There are 6 of working in it.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Michael Stumpf wrote:
1200 square feet for how many employees?!
Three full time now. Before I started working here, and before the Town acquired the "annex," there were five full-timers in Town Hall.

I was wrong with my 1,200 square foot figure. It's actually 1,114 square feet.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
When the weather is nice, do they let you work outside? It would be interesting to see how much space the typical planner gets, including work areas, desk space, conference rooms, files/storage, and the informal space where our maps and drawings tend to "sprawl". We could use the info to advocate for larger offices.

Mary

Right now I'm in an office that feels huge it must be 2000 Square feet and I'm NOT the director. *Although I do have file cabnets stored in my office* Still by my planning standards it's huge.

I worked on place for awhile where they had Everything but the directors office in a space no larger than my current office including file cabnets and a plotter. There were 6 employees (I'm not counting the dirrector) sharing the space. 2 of us had to roll our small computer desks and the plotter out of the office walkways and into the council chambers each morning so that we could work.

Yes I'm definnately no in a BIG office space currently.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
You get offices?

i get a corner blocked off by some files.

however im with the clean desk club, i cant stand stuff every where. im anal as hell about stuff filed, folded and organized *i worked in a library and loved it*

my co workers look as if i am from the moon and their offices look like a gov sponsored paper breeding program.

D

Habanero

Cyburbian
Re: Office Part 1

*note the open browser window on the PC*

yeah.. note the lotion on the desk too.. God, you really do love planning.. or is that you really hate kittens?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: Re: Office Part 1

TexasPlanner wrote:

yeah.. note the lotion on the desk too.. God, you really do love planning.. or is that you really hate kittens?
OUCH!!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus

TexasPlanner wrote:
You Win!! I saw that after I posted the pic and KNEW someone would post a kitten comment!

It is a Sams Club size too - part of a 2-pack. Not even Tigers are safe around me...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

TexasPlanner wrote:yeah.. note the lotion on the desk too.. God, you really do love planning.. or is that you really hate kittens?
[slight hijack]

A couple of years ago, at my last job, the silly environmental planner who occupied the cubicle next to mine had a habit of occasionally making Beavis and Butthead sounds, in an attempt to distract and irritate me. I fought back one day -- he did a "huhuhuhuh," I shot rubber bands off the ceiling and into his space, he starting mumbling the name of the object of his lust ... "Anna .... Annnna," while pulling his cheek to make repetitive "squishy" sounds.

The 100 gigaton bumb, though ... my skin was going through a dry spell, so I was "equipped" that day. I opened a drawer, pulled out a bottle of Lubriderm, and silently set it up on the cubicle divider.

About two minutes later, from across the divider, came the sounds of the loudest, most uncontrolled laughter I have ever heard. Went on for about three minutes.

It's the simple things in life ...

[/slight hijack]

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Hey guys i got a extra bottle of Lubriderm for seriously sensitive right here if yall need it

rotflhao

*who needs TV i have Cyburbia to keep me laughing*

Cardinal

Cyburbian
After this thread started I assessed just how bad the office looked. I've recycled two boxes of paper, cleaned off a dozen shelves, sorted/scanned/filed photos, organized several project files - and let the work on my desk pile up higher. Will I ever catch up?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
OH geezz guys!

I just broke up with my BF i dont want to think how long its going to be before i do THAT again

starts tearing the lables off beers

Habanero

Cyburbian
BTurk-

Have you even had your lunch come out of your nose? Well, chicken salad hurts-

Now I'm going to go home and make sure all of your productive work hasn't taken my cats out-

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Only at Cyburbia can a discussion on office cleanliness be turned into a kitten killing frenzy...

el Guapo

Capitalist
Back to the subject at hand ;-)

El Guapo's office

Note : 1 Cyburbia Coffee Mug
Lack of any lotions or balms
Can of Altoids given to me by a berret wearing intern

Photo taken from outside through double glass doors. Envy me cube dwellers!

It has been 180 days since this work place killed a Kitten.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
hey Guap,
I always thought your were an anal retentive wearing the drag of a sombrero...now I know it. BTW, you have one notebook on the top shelf that is not in desending order. I hate to mention this, because you probably have already corrected that "accident." Didn't you tell us one time that your office was a morgue or something?

Last edited:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I don't know if it's just the angle of the camera, but it looks to me like you'd have to be pretty skinny to fit behind that desk. Not much room for stretching out and putting the feet up on the desk, eh?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Workplace safety

El Guapo -

I can't tell from the camera angle, but is there a guest chair to the right? If so, and if your "customers" are anything like ours, I would remove the scissors from their easy reach. We have found first-hand that they make excellent "negotiating tools" for the angry citizen....

el Guapo

Capitalist
Its the angle...

...because as Mike can tell you I have left my skinny day in the past. The far, far distant past.

Mike, to address your question, yes this building was a mortuary: 1920-1968. My office is the one where the mistresses' and concubines got to slip in a side door and view the deceased so as not to mix with the family.

Kind of sweet, sick and scarry all rolled up into one very functional - AR - office space.

bTurk - I'm a consultant on a government payroll now - I tell everyone exactly what they want to hear - so no violence!

PS - I keep a MAC 10 (50 round clip) handy just in case - that is a hold over habit from my zoning administrator days in da hood.
I got juice!

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will... My rifle and myself know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts, nor the smoke we make. We know it is the hits that count. We will hit... My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will... Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but PEACE

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
El Guapo - I prefer the shorter but sweeter, "This is my rifle! This is my gun! This one's for shootin' and this one's for fun!"

el Guapo

Capitalist
Short and sweet.

Tranplanner,
Yours is better - but it is not nearly as scarry to liberals as mine. They think we conservative types actually sit around cleaning our rifles and chanting such mantras. Scares the shit out of them.

Who has the rifle in Canada these days? Do you share it or is it first come first served?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Short and sweet.

El Guapo wrote:
Who has the rifle in Canada these days? Do you share it or is it first come first served?
A gun? Canada has a gun? Who gave them that?

NHPlanner

Staff member
My rifle....

Hey! Some of us liberals love Full Metal Jacket!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Hey now Im a liberal and damn good with a gun. Just becouse i want to save the world does not mean i wont take out someone messing with my little family

Danie
the PMS'n liberal with a gun and a rott

lol

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: My rifle....

NHPlanner wrote:
Hey! Some of us liberals love Full Metal Jacket!
Yuppers. I identify with Joker.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: My rifle....

Dan Tasman wrote:
Yuppers. I identify with Joker.
One thing I should have learned from Texas Planner and KMateja... never have a mouth full of food or beverage while surfing Cyburbia -- pardon me while I clean the spew from my keyboard...

Habanero

Cyburbian
Spew?

Hey buddy, you're the one with the lotion....

God loves all the the little kittens, all the little kittens of the world-

el Guapo

Capitalist
It always has to end up...

...on Killing' Kitties or drinking. Have you also noticed the theme? Dan, I think I figured out the low volume traffic problem. You have all the yankin' drunk planners here already. There are no more to be found. Perhaps we need to branch out into pot smoking, yankin' planners to boost membership. That should double membership.

Suffer Kitty Not - For I am Master of My Domain - also!

Also, Dan in addition to the thumbs up and down emotocons, could you add the closed hand? ;-)

End Gratuitous Felinacide!

el Guapo

Capitalist
giff

We could call you anal...but that would be cruel.
Maybe you could put a little fridge in there...

zman

Cyburbian
IT is my personality to have clutter acumulate. Of course, it is also my personality to get royally pissed off at the clutter when it gets to a certain point and thus begin a cleaning frenzy.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
The only planner with a clean desk in our office is the director's. The rest of us look like a filing cabinet exploded over our office. Which isn't that far from truth.
I have the opposite - I'm the Director with a desk that is exploding with paper and my staff's desks all look like brand new - what does this mean? :-o

imaplanner

Cyburbian
It irritates me when people tell me I have a messy desk. If you would stop giving me so much work and so little file space maybe my desk would be cleaner!!:-@

btrage

Cyburbian
Dosen't a messy desk mean you're important and have lots of important things to do??? ;-)

Masswich

Cyburbian
Maybe I am losing it, but I don't see any of the pictures of offices...

Anyway, this discussion reminds me of the phrase a former colleague used in describing people who worked for state government and didn't have enough to do: "desk dusters."