• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Office Gifts

Habanero

Cyburbian
My last place of employment did not give out Christmas gifts to the employees. I guess they give gifts here because I just got a sippy cup (insulated no spill travel mug) with the city logo on it.

I like City shwag.. what do you get, if anything, from your employer?

:B

Jeff

Cyburbian
Let me get back to you on that one. First Christmas here...

But the old job....nothing. Not even a half day on Christmas Eve or anything...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We get a $15 gift certificate to a grocery store. Of course, we're taxed on it, but it's the thought that counts.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Yeah, we got a City pin. Proud to be a City of St. Albert employee. While other departments can wear that stuff and not get shot, I prefer to use them as decorative bulletin board tacks rather than pointing out that I'm one of "them".

el Guapo

Capitalist
They say: "Guapo - No gift for you!"

I take this back. The boss does buy us a nice lunch this friday.

JNL

Cyburbian
Wow nice gift Beaner!

On Thursday we are going on a bus to a "mystery destination" for a staff Christmas lunch. Last year it was a really nice place, great food and plenty to drink! 'Cept I got stuck sitting between two managers :( Also on Friday we are having lunch provided as well and we get to go home early. We get the 27th off too as a bonus company holiday. I like my job!

donk

Cyburbian
We get a turkey.
We stopped doing a dinner for staff and commission members due to cost and the potential liability related to drinking and driving.

jmf

Cyburbian
We get gift certificates for a grocery store, rotating through the different store in town.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
We don't get anything from the City. Nor do I think we should, really.

My boss gave me a bottle of wine last year, and the director paid for our staff lunch.

Every year at the last minute we get Christmas Eve off (if it is a Monday or Friday) and if it falls on Tuesday - Thursday, they give us a half day.

And our boss hosts a luncheon at his country estate for all of us and spouses.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
The mayor from my last city was from New Orleans, and after the last CC meeting of the year, he'd have the department heads, spouses, etc. over to his place for a big red beans & rice dinner.

prudence

Cyburbian
Oddly enough, City employees are allowed to rummage through the Police Evidence Locker to find a memento or keepsake.

Last year I got a shank and 9 cans of Stroh's.

prudence said:
Oddly enough, City employees are allowed to rummage through the Police Evidence Locker to find a memento or keepsake.

That sounds kind of cool, in a sort of sick and twisted way.

Jeff

Cyburbian
prudence said:

I'll take a couple of dime bags and a 9mm please.

nerudite

Cyburbian
We each got a Christmas ornament today. Nothing fancy... but it's more than I have received from other municipalities, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

JNL

Cyburbian
Not wanting to gloat or anything but....

We just got given our Christmas boxes from the company which have lots of goodies: sparkling wine, christmas pudding, mince pies, fudge, a christmas cake, gourmet jellybeans, shortbread, macadamia nuts and a personally signed letter of thanks from the regional manager! Beat that!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Us, too...

We just got a huge basket from a marketing company...

I got playing cards, dominos, marbles, and dice... and I get to eat some of the food items, too.