• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Office Vs Cubicle

Office or cubicle?

• Office

Votes: 27 65.9%
  • Cubicle

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Other work environment

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

donk

Cyburbian
As inspired by TSC and Alan in the office perks thread.

Do you have an office or a cubicle or something else?

Me office- 12x12 with wall of windows.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Beat me to the new thread

I have a13' x 13' office with a window and a door that locks. Beats the cubicles I have had in the past. I need to rearrange my desk, however. My back faces the door and my boss can tell when I'm on Cyburbia. I wish we could post pictures of what our offices looked like.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I've got 12' x 18' but no door -- definitely a bummer.

Beautiful view of Police HQ -- at least I know when the SWAT boys are headed out!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Beat me to the new thread

SlaveToTheGrind said:
I wish we could post pictures of what our offices looked like.
We had an office picture thread a few years ago. Very amusing.

My current office is 15 x 20, but has just a teeny window.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I got darn lucky when we moved to the new City Hall. I've got the corner office, that's about 15x20 and the west wall is all windows - floor to ceiling.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Hybrid. Half an office with a cubicle wall down the middle, probably 10 x 12. One wall of windows (in my half); unfortunately, it looks into a courtyard parking area.

donk

Cyburbian
I second that Tranplanner's window has a great view.

Forgot to add that my office has a door, that I close frequently to be able to work. going to a cubicle will be a big change. Except for a brief stint as a draftsman, i've always had my own office.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Very small office with no door in a very old building.

One window complete with a window unit air conditioner and view of a parking lot, a small light-rail switch yard and a large onramp.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
My office is something like 15 x 20. The best feature is the fireplace. The 20X30 conference area in front of it is pretty much mine as well. My underlings just got nice new dividers.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Other. Desk. It's all of us in one big room. It works better than you might think -- it definitely promotes communication between us.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Dilbert admonishes the cubicle, but I find it to be a harmonious workplace environment enhancement that transcends the traditional hierarchal foundations of the corporate institution and establishes a social order akin to Utopia. Privacy is no longer a primary concern and all attachments to individual possessions are eliminated once the ritual of community acceptance and sharing is borne out in the broader corporate culture.

tsc

Cyburbian
and,,, thanks to office reorganization... I am moving to a new cube.... same size... same color...slightly different view of Macy's and the busstop.....

H

Cyburbian
Office.
With door, but glass wall.
No window, but can see window through glass wall.
Two desks, but no one sits at other desk.

Although, I am in the field about 50% of time.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
interior office - 1 wall red brick - running bond,
other 3 walls are off yellow/tan colored wall system.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Big office - at least 15' x 20' with huge ceilings in historic but rough building. Its definitely bigger than I deserve at this stage in my career. View of attractive, but aging 6 story building across the street.

The drawback is my office has 3 doors and is only access point on my floor between the two halves of the building so people cut through like its a hallway.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I have a small office... 9' x 9' maybe. It has a door (with a freakin' vent in it so there is no noise attenuation) and a window that looks out onto the Sturgeon River Valley, which is beautiful. I also have windows for one wall, which I kind of like.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
I'm in a cubicle with a door that closes, so we have at least the illusion of privacy. The severely claustrophic side of me would much rather have an open cubicle than a windowless office.

kms

Cyburbian
Dining room. Sometimes the dog lies right behind my chair. I guess someone has to make sure that I work.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Hybrid. Half an office with a cubicle wall down the middle, probably 10 x 12. One wall of windows (in my half); unfortunately, it looks into a courtyard parking area.
ZG and I used to share the hybrid that overlooked a large lake. Ahhh, I remember the days of gazing out the window and not doing work.

Now I have a cube. Or a cubby as I like to call it.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Went from a sweet office with door, window, the works to a cube 8 x 10ish. Its awesome. You get to chit chat all day with everyone.

H

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
Went from a sweet office with door, window, the works to a cube 8 x 10ish. Its awesome. You get to chit chat all day with everyone.
True. The office is lonely. Hence why I live on Cyburbia when I am in here.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I share an office with the senior planner, who has been working half-time for six months, so it is like a private office from 1-5. except when people use the office as a walk-through to other offices.

But it is nice. It is in an old building with windows that actually open. I work on the top floor (4th) and my view is grand - Mt. Helena and the Mansion District. Most days you can see the hikers trudging up and down. A nice view can take the edge off of a bad day.

JNL

Cyburbian
I share an office with 2 others. We have windows on one side looking out to a carpark and a hazardous goods storage shed.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
JNL said:
I share an office with 2 others. We have windows on one side looking out to a carpark and a hazardous goods storage shed.
That would be too tempting.

"Why, yes, sir. You are so justified in getting angry with me because I will not review your hand drawn plans for a welding and auto body shop in a residentisal district in time for this afternoon's plan board meeting. I'll just go ahead and issue your permits right away. You can pick them up in that building you see over there."

Tomorrow's headline will read "Building Explosion Claims Local A**hole."

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I have a cubicle that contains a nice desk, large drafting table, and other amenities. I also have a very nice view of an open courtyard that's lush with landscaping. The view of the landscaping is a stress-reliever.

donk

Cyburbian
Mike D wastes time another way
You get to chit chat all day with everyone.
That would only be good if you actually like your coworkers. ;)

Like Huston, that is why i am on cyburbia soo much.

Last edited:

Rem

Cyburbian
I have an office that is maybe 7m (23') x 4m (13'), quite large - it's a converted meeting room. It has no windows and is actually a bit of a hole. I have a fridge (virtue of former meeting room status). The worst part is its next to my boss' office (the GM) and there is no aural privacy.

JNL

Cyburbian
My office is in a converted US army storage shed, built in the 40s

tsc

Cyburbian
JNL said:
My office is in a converted US army storage shed, built in the 40s
nice....do you have some 1950 green metal furniture to complete the look?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
USVA

My office chair is stenciled "U.S.V.A." It is a grey metal number with green leather (The padding is shot and the leather is torn/frayed). It is a GREAT recliner. They offered me a new chair but they were buying crap. I kept this sucker and when I leave, it's coming with me.