• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Oh Crap. I've got a dilema on my hands....

martini

Cyburbian
Not about the lack of jobs this time though. Conflicting jobs. When it rains, it pours, I guess...Now this isn't about a 'real' job(unfortunately), but simply about internships. I'm currently working for one internship that does research and policy development for the state legislature, among others. It's somewhat interesting work, though not what I really want to do for my career. Today, it sounds like I may have an interview for a more main-line planning intern position, doing what regular planners do.

Duties include evaluating land use and development proposals for compliance with city ordinances and policies; responding to developer and public inquiries concerning the development process, zoning, subdividing and other planning issues; preparing reports for meetings of the park commission, planning commission and city council; researching and reporting on land use issues.​

This is what I want to do for work. Now the hard part. I've been at my current intern position for roughly a month. I don't want to leave any bad juju behind by telling them that I found something better, but I want to be fully ready to work full time for this new community if it comes to that. AAHHUGG. What do I do to let someone down lightly? I'm not good at breaking up...

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Just tell them you got an offer that better suits your career interests and the path you want to go in......or just one day disapear. Tell them your going to the store for something and just vanish;). Actually go with the first part.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Wow. Rumpy made sense to me there! I am going insane? ;)

Seriously, I would think that at this stage of your career and the type of position, your employer would understand you wanting to go after something more suited to your abilities/interests. Interns are a dime a dozen, right? :)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Just tell them you got an offer that better suits your career interests and the path you want to go in...

WHO ARE YOU… and what did you do with Rumpy?

(GOOD CALL!!!)

Belle

Cyburbian
Well, what kind of understanding did you come to when you started your current internship? If it's supposed to last through the summer, I'll vote that you honor your commitment. It's hard, I know, to turn down the position you really want, but you should make good. Just my 2 cents.

martini

Cyburbian
it IS kinda scary how logical and correct he is...Did you not drink enough caffine this morning Tuna? :-D

Oh, and about the current position, its been left open ended. They know I'm about to graduate, and may find a position that would force me to leave. I guess that kind of leaves and open door, eh?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I had a similar situation just after I graduated. I went with the position that suited my career goals.

Belle

Cyburbian
martini said:
Oh, and about the current position, its been left open ended. They know I'm about to graduate, and may find a position that would force me to leave. I guess that kind of leaves and open door, eh?
Yes, that changes things...be honest, sit down with your boss, explain the situation, give him/her a time frame, and be on the lookout for other (starving and desperate) grad students who might like to take over your position.

Best of luck with the interview, sounds like a great opportunity! :)