• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Oh give me a break (aka why Cali is going to hell #1)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
damn! talk about a "sour" neighbor :p
What did the poor kid do? Well at least the cops didn't arrest her, that would have been utterly stupid. (although once it did happen here and a 4 year old girl had to go to court because she and her family were living on an empty lot that was private property, and the cops arrested the whole family and she got to know the court)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Good lord! Jordanb is a catholic that wears rubbers and beleives in abortion, and now THIS?! See you all in hell!

(BTW - I'll be the one with the business license for the s'mores booth)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It's good to see other states going to hell for a change, although I wonder if California isn't maybe there already? I admire the way the city handled it - accommodate the letter of the law to answer the neighbor, then screw the neighbor by giving the kid a free license to have a lemonade stand whenever she wants. Too bad the interview didn't confrant that neighbor and ask them why they wanted to be an a**hole.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I can't believe that a neighbor would get back at someone by narcing on their kids' lemonade stand... and if this isn't revenge of some type... then that's even worse!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Its people like the neighbor which makes me mad that it just isn't socially acceptabel to punch people anymore.

The 50s were so on target with their handling of little squabbles like this.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Wow. Wisconsin may be full of psychos, serial killers, cannibals, and Cyburbia posting kitten killers, but at least it's not populated by uppity as*holes like California seems to be.

Apologies to all Californians who are not uppity as*holes...all 7 or 8 of you. ;)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I also like the way the City handled it by issuing the busuness license. I would have taken it a step further and brought the permit application to the stand for the parents to fill out.

I think that if that happened in many places, the person getting the complaint would have just told the neighbor to lighten up and deal with it.

Some neighbors just like being a-holes.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I hate to burst the bubble of folks who enjoy taking pot shots at my former home the Golden State, but the byline is Naples, Florida.

There was just an article in our local paper about kids playing basketball on the street on cul-de-sacs and how many complaints local towns people get from neighbors. Granted, playing in the street probably isn't the best, but they are cul-de-sacs, and at least the kids are playing outside getting exercise and fresh air, instead of inside on their playstations. Mean people do suck.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Downtown said:
There was just an article in our local paper about kids playing basketball on the street on cul-de-sacs and how many complaints local towns people get from neighbors. Granted, playing in the street probably isn't the best, but they are cul-de-sacs, and at least the kids are playing outside getting exercise and fresh air, instead of inside on their playstations. Mean people do suck.
I don't have a link, but last year there was a highly-publicized court case up here regarding a dispute between a neighbour and some kids over playing ball hockey on the street. The court basically told the neighbour to get a life.

You don't mess with hockey up here!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Isn't this what people are supposed to like about cul-de-sacs? Your kids can play in the street without getting run over.

This post reminds me of Mike D's comment about the 50's. People never used to call the cops or the zoning officer if neighborhood kids were being too loud or disruptive playing ball. But the kids (and parents) should have the responsibility of being good neighbors and going to the local court if they're too many of them or if they're too loud.

Last edited:

BKM

Cyburbian
Keep in mind what Naples is: An posh retirement community full of snobby, uppity old people with too much time on their hands. The kind of place where people drive around with rulers to make sure their neighbors lawns don't exceed the 1/2" height limit. And, people think planners are anal.

God, as grumpy as I am, I couldn't imagine moving to such a place (even if I could afford it).

Sorry, Neopolitans.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
We used to play football on this large boulevard on the East Side of Milwaukee every Sunday. Did it for 4 years with no incident, then some old bat called the cops on us and they kicked us out. Talked to the alderman, who called the cops and told them that there is no law that says people can't play on the boulevard.

I had a call last summer from some old lady (I sense a theme here) who wanted me to force someone to take out their basketball hoop, because there were kids playing there and making noise.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I've always found it ironic that in dense urban neighborhoods people are much less uptight about common noise than in suburban neighborhoods where people are farther apart. Granted, a guy blasting his stereo at 2 AM is too loud anywhere, but I've known suburbanites who complain endlessly about the sound of little kids playing.

biscuit

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
I hate to burst the bubble of folks who enjoy taking pot shots at my former home the Golden State, but the byline is Naples, Florida.
Naples, Florida!!! Good grief that's even worse. ;)

nerudite

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Naples, Florida!!! Good grief that's even worse. ;)
LOL... I thought it was Naples in So.Cal because I got the link from a California site... how funny. Okay, Florida is going to hell. ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Why would a Californian move to Florida?
Climate? Scenery? Ocean? Oh, wait...

a desire to be around very old people from places like Buffalo and Chicago.