• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Oh Happy Day

Queen B

Cyburbian
There are just times when one must do a happy dance and in the life of those who run Planning Commission Meetings that can be horrifically long and boring you will understand, this well.

My meeting last night had two agenda items and lasted 30 minutes!!!!!!!
I have already gotten atta girls from the county administrator and the county counselor this morning.

Oh, Happy Day!!!!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Congratulations, Queen!

Your timing is bad for me perosnally, however: I'm looking at a BZA meeting tonight that may last 5 hours plus and be rather contentious. Arrrgh.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Good job Queen B

I've got a nasty one scheduled for hearing on Thursday night.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I have two meetings a month through March, when the budget gets certified to the State. Every one promises to be long and bad.

nerudite

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
I have two meetings a month through March, when the budget gets certified to the State. Every one promises to be long and bad.
Two a month or two a week? I wish I had two a month...

tonight I have a "team building session" with the most dysfunctional commission in the City. It's bad enough we have to go to public hearings... but I really resent the fact that they are going to make me go to the touchy feely session tonight. Bleh.

Good job though Queen... glad to hear your new work year is starting off right!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
nerudite said:
Two a month or two a week? I wish I had two a month...

Just two per month, but the amont of preparation is horrible.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Good job Queen B!

giff57 said:
Just two per month, but the amont of preparation is horrible.
Tell you what giff, how about I attend all of your meetings for the next six months if you agree to sit in on the one meeting I have with HUD next week.

Just try and keep me away from any sharp objects on that day.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
biscuit said:
Good job Queen B!

Tell you what giff, how about I attend all of your meetings for the next six months if you agree to sit in on the one meeting I have with HUD next week.

Just try and keep me away from any sharp objects on that day.

Deal! Now you can figure out how to cut 40K out of a 630K General Fund Budget, and have it ready by the 22nd. Oh, and if we lay anyone off you can tell them.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
Deal! Now you can figure out how to cut 40K out of a 630K General Fund Budget, and have it ready by the 22nd. Oh, and if we lay anyone off you can tell them.
The kind of suggestion you might get from some here:

What do you need all of those parks for? Can't you sell them off and let people build houses on them?

ludes98

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
The kind of suggestion you might get from some here:

What do you need all of those parks for? Can't you sell them off and let people build houses on them?
No, no, it isn't houses. Law of Sam anyone? Build a Wal-Mart.

One jurisdiction around here acts on the entire agenda as consent except for whatever items are hot/contested. Most meetings are less than 1/2 to1 hour for 60 items!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I may have mentioned this before, but I once had a mining application that went for 14 hours in public hearing. Good for you, getting out so early!