• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Oh Martha!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
You really think she'll end up in jail? I see a hefty fine and probation. Then again, I haven't really been following this.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Big Easy King said:
Guess who's going to the slammer!

And that's a good thing!
Schmucks like us get trampled in these "deals". Time for one of them to get what's due.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
If Martha Stewart can be convicted for a relatively small deception, hopefully those behind the larger corporate scandals can go to jail for a long, long time and make restitutions to those they screwed.

SGB

Cyburbian

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
It's just so difficult to get really fresh asparagus in prison, though...

Let alone grow you lemons to garnish said asparagus with or compost you own soil or make festive placemats.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
You really think she'll end up in jail? I see a hefty fine and probation. Then again, I haven't really been following this.

They gave her the option for a good size fine, and probation, but she turned it down. Almost every analyst has said that she will get time and it will send a message to traders, and everyone who deals with the stock market, they will do time too.

I hope that they give her a cell, and not allow her to dress it up...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Although the four convictions could mean 20 years in prison, sentencing guidelines mean no more than a year to actually be served. Seems kind of light, IMO.

tsc

Cyburbian
good ones SGB...

But really... she did nothing compared to those other fellows... Her trade was pennies compared to the other crap the execs have done. Why don' t they spend the monies to go after the Enrons and Worldcom....
I think she is guilty.. and dumb not to admit that she did something wrong... but really.... this must happen ALL the time.....

biscuit

Cyburbian
tsc said:
good ones SGB...

But really... she did nothing compared to those other fellows... Her trade was pennies compared to the other crap the execs have done. Why don' t they spend the monies to go after the Enrons and Worldcom....
I think she is guilty.. and dumb not to admit that she did something wrong... but really.... this must happen ALL the time.....

Indeed. But you know, I don't know if I wouldn't have been very tempted to do what she did. If my broker were to call and tell me that X company's stock was about to tank I would probably have told him to get rid of at least a majorty of it as well.

I agree however, that she should have admited what she did and simply paid the fine when she was first called on it...being honest would have certainly saved her a whole lot of trouble and money in legal fees. Because just like my Gandmother used to say, "Rest assured your sins will find you out."

Last edited:

tsc

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Indeed. But you know, I don't know if I wouldn't have been very tempted to do what she did. If my broker were to call and tell me that X company's stock was about to tank I would probably have told him to get rid of at least a majorty of it as well.

I agree however, that she should have admited what she did and simply paid the fine when she was first called on...being honest would have certainly saved her a whole lot of trouble and money in legal fees. Because just like my Gandmother used to say, "Be sure your sins will find you out."

exactly.... she should have fessed up and donated a crap load of money to some feel good group, like the Connecticut Game-Hen Rescue Society... would have saved her millions..