• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Oh, the weather outside is frightful...

nerudite

Cyburbian
We woke up to about a foot of snow on Sunday morning. It looks beautiful outside! I took pics of my backyard but haven't had time to upload them yet.

p.s. Nice subliminal plug for McDonalds... are you a stockholder? ;)

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
p.s. Nice subliminal plug for McDonalds... are you a stockholder? ;)
No, just wanted to show you what I get to look at throughout the day. At least in the summer, the trees cover most of it.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Weather was abnormally warm in Oregon when I was there last week, and now that I'm back on the east coast its abnormally warm here. I would think its something special about me but my prescence sure didn't help the northeast last winter. :)

moose

Seabishop said:
Weather was abnormally warm in Oregon when I was there last week, and now that I'm back on the east coast its abnormally warm here. I would think its something special about me but my prescence sure didn't help the northeast last winter. :)
And now it's abnormally cold. I counted exactly 2 snowflakes yesterday out my apartment window, but the news was reporting an good "dusting" at elevations above 1000 feet in Portland. Mr Moose reports that theres 1-2 inches in Bend, just on the eastern side of the Cascades. It's currently sunny as any summer day, I just happen to know that it's about 40 degrees.

martini

Cyburbian
Got our first dusting of snow this morning. Everything is nice and sloppy now. Supposed to be a mix of rain/slush/snow for the rest of today and into tomorrw. Yesterday was beautiful, raced my bike in 50° and sunny weather.

Nerudite, I treid getting my avatar to be yours, but couldn't get the damned thing small enough! dammit!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
We all know Buffalo will get hit hard, seems like they do every year.
Wutch youu talkin bout STTG?

Not this year, ha ahahahahahhhhha ahh haah ahhaa. We'll see....

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
They say it will get 83 here today and break a record

its hot to be wearing our winter stuff, all the summer stuff got packed up weeks ago

argh

NO SNOW

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, exactly one week ago, it was 95-and at least 90 in San Francisco. Ugly-and a proximate cause of the wildfires. Nothing is more sick feeling than the NoCal version of the Santa Anas. No weather is perfect, I guess.

"Winter" (in quotation marks because I am talking to an audience of Midwesterners and Buffalonians here bwahahahaha) has arrived. Highs in the low 60s, and we actually got our first rain of the real rainy season last night. A mix of awesome thunderheads and sun right now.

I love California winters (although I wouldn't want the Seattle climate-which is California winter year round :) )

It's a frightful 86 degrees outside with no cooling down in the forecast. It's going to be a very short winter down here.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Tired of shoveling snow in winter? Come on my country! (engrish reference) :)
We don't have snowy winters, at least not as much as you, and all the major cities are snow-free, and if you get nostalgic about snow, you can go to the mountains and have fun in the snow! Gotta love Chile! :)

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
we're reaching record highs here in StL. Loving it, took the day off, going on a nice loooong bike ride.

nerudite

Cyburbian
martini said:
Nerudite, I treid getting my avatar to be yours, but couldn't get the damned thing small enough! dammit!
Looks like I'm stealing avatars left and right! Send me a different pic and I can reduce it down for ya...

Mastiff

Gunfighter
moose said:
And now it's abnormally cold. I counted exactly 2 snowflakes yesterday out my apartment window, but the news was reporting an good "dusting" at elevations above 1000 feet in Portland. Mr Moose reports that theres 1-2 inches in Bend, just on the eastern side of the Cascades. It's currently sunny as any summer day, I just happen to know that it's about 40 degrees.
200 feet above us had snow... we're at 1450.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Rumpy Tuna said:
75, warm and sunny. Life's good (thank you paxil)
LOL... Paxil. Ever listen to the commercial?

Paxil cures depression, and the side affects are headache, cramping, diahrrea, nausia, constipation, and may cause sexual side effects.

So, I can't get any even if I could get off the bathroom floor... but laying there barfing and hurting, I feel good about it all.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:
LOL... Paxil. Ever listen to the commercial?

Paxil cures depression, and the side affects are headache, cramping, diahrrea, nausia, constipation, and may cause sexual side effects.

So, I can't get any even if I could get off the bathroom floor... but laying there barfing and hurting, I feel good about it all.
Sexual side effects huh, that would explain the other thing growing down there.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Rumpy Tuna said:
Sexual side effects huh, that would explain the other thing growing down there.
I don't think they mean good things when they say "sexual side effects"...

nerudite

Cyburbian
Here's what it looks like in Edmonton these days (pretty, huh?)

The red tree in the background is my new favourite winter tree: mountain ash.

88DCP_0494.jpg

Rem

Cyburbian
Another nasty spring day on Lake Macquarie - I think I saw a cloud yesterday.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Here's what it looks like in Edmonton these days (pretty, huh?)

The red tree in the background is my new favourite winter tree: mountain ash.
Pretty, but I'll take our warmer weather for now.

[OT]I have made it a mission to promote native plants, so... You might want to take a look at serviceberries if you are thinking of planting another tree. They also get the red berries that are very popular with the birds, and they bloom profusely in spring. They are smaller than your ash, and some can be grown as a shrub. Most have outstanding fall color.

Amelanchier canadensis

[/OT]

B'lieve

Cyburbian
It hit 82 here Saturday, and again today. It's not supposed to cool down til Thursday, when the rain that's supposed to hit tomorrow night leaves.

one last taste of summer :D

nerudite

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Pretty, but I'll take our warmer weather for now.

[OT]I have made it a mission to promote native plants, so... You might want to take a look at serviceberries if you are thinking of planting another tree. They also get the red berries that are very popular with the birds, and they bloom profusely in spring. They are smaller than your ash, and some can be grown as a shrub. Most have outstanding fall color.
[OT]
Our lot is heavily treed, so I don't think it will fit. We have three pines in the front yard that are all jammed together and some of our other trees are struggling a little for space. We may actually take out a few... We have a huge Mugo pine in the front that may need to come out eventually, so I'll check into the serviceberry if I ever do that.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
For over a week now its been overcast, highs haven't gone above freezing and the lows have been in the teens to low 20's. Sunny today though, but still cold.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Overcast in the morning to later clear out... I was in downtown this morning after a short period of classes... and it was completly overcast, and I could even bet it would rain... but now, 3 hours later, it's quite clear... temperature must be around 64º F (17 ºC)