• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Ok girls fess up-Inner male?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Dan started a thread for men to talk about the girl stuff they do, so here is our chance to talk about the guy stuff we do.

Come on lets show em who the "real men" are ;-)

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Dan started a thread for men to talk about the girl stuff they do, so here is our chance to talk about the guy stuff we do.

Come on lets show em who the "real men" are ;-)
PlannerGirl, what are yours? You did not say.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Lets see I have made my own guns, can shoot very well, like "fixing" things, love getting muddy and trampsing around in the woods.

i hate to shop, hard to get me to ask directions-after all im a Geographer damn it!

I love war movies and cold pizza in the morning.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Lets see I have made my own guns, can shoot very well, like "fixing" things, love getting muddy and trampsing around in the woods.

i hate to shop, hard to get me to ask directions-after all im a Geographer damn it!

I love war movies and cold pizza in the morning.
PlannerGirl, are you sure you are not me pretending to be you? Sounds like it. What really hits home is I hate to ask directions and my wife always gets p.o'd when I don't.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Ok folks i think we have a live one here! Just dont you dare split the seams of my latex!!!

nerudite

Cyburbian
I have some guy tendencies.

I can't deal with weepy, emotional women (especially at work).
I don't wear make-up, with rare exceptions.
I like to do stupid guy stuff: break stuff with other stuff, see what things look like when they are set on fire (I'm a fun one for camping), I often try stupid stunts like sliding down railings just to see if I can... I could be one of the jackass chicks probably.
I like some typical guy movies: Brother, Reservoir Dogs, etc.
I can skip rocks and climb trees... tomboy stuff.
I can hook up my own home electronics (although I usually let my boyfriend do it, because he actually *likes* to).

JNL

Cyburbian
Let's see..

I have my own tools
I LOVE going to the demolition derby.. and you've just gotta have a hotdog and beer while you're there
I like to understand what's going on with my car... and I like petrol fumes
and I have to agree with PG - cold pizza is great!

JNL said:
Let's see..

I have my own tools
Having your own tools is a GUY THING? I protest. I only use my tools for girly things, like refurbishing furniture or rehabbing a house or repairing stuff up at the homeless shelter. It is not like I have ever built a deck. (place one winky or smiley on order for this reserved spot HERE)

Rem

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Having your own tools is a GUY THING? I protest. I only use my tools for girly things, like refurbishing furniture or rehabbing a house or repairing stuff up at the homeless shelter. It is not like I have ever built a deck. (place one winky or smiley on order for this reserved spot HERE)
I think you've jumped to the wrong conclusion about tool type here.

Rem said:
I think you've jumped to the wrong conclusion about tool type here.
Well, I do the girly stuff. If I need screwing, drilling, or similar services that men are supposed to have the tools for and lots of practice in how to use them, I insist my husband perform such chores. (winky for retards HERE)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I shoot baskets with my son, pitch to him, and practice soccer moves with him.

I can set up my tent faster than any of the dads in our cub scout pack, and I'm the only one that always remembers to bring duct tape.

Ruffles and onion dip are a complete meal.

I don't dance.

JNL

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Having your own tools is a GUY THING? I protest.
I agree with you, owning tools is not the exclusive domain of either gender, however I think it may be age-related: none of my female friends (all early 20s) have their own tools, but none of us own our own homes yet either.

moose

Where do I start?

When I met my now husband, I owned more tools than he did.

I learned to use firearms at age 14 (but have since sworn them off)

Throughout my life, I have been seriously mistaken for a boy exactly 3 times (short hair, baggy clothes)

My sister just finished hot rodding a 1956 Chevy pick-up (talk about low mpg)

And last but not least: I work in demolition, remember? How much more masculine can a job site get?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Where do I start?

moose said:
Throughout my life, I have been seriously mistaken for a boy exactly 3 times (short hair, baggy clothes)
and at least twice here at Cyburbia

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I never understood that whole idea about women being 'natural' shopaholics. I hate shopping for clothes. I only have a few pairs of shoes in my closet. I rarely buy new clothes unless I desperately need something...and even then, I order from catalogs wherever possible.

I'd much rather spend money on things that are practical -- groceries, or stuff for the house -- than clothing or jewelry.

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
I never understood that whole idea about women being 'natural' shopaholics. I hate shopping for clothes. I only have a few pairs of shoes in my closet. I rarely buy new clothes unless I desperately need something...and even then, I order from catalogs wherever possible.

I'd much rather spend money on things that are practical -- groceries, or stuff for the house -- than clothing or jewelry.
oh my gosh, that's too cool...I like saving my money for trips and doing fun things out and about. I have found many women like you Mud Princess, more than I ever would have thought. I've meet some gals who go to Wal-Mart to shop but they really don't need anything as its more of a social thing. seems to me when I go grocery shopping there are some people there who want to socialize, meet their future spouse, etc. and those who want to get in and get out under a cloud of stress!!!

kms

Cyburbian
I don't wear makeup, don't watch LIfetime or soaps.
Can't stand whiny woman stuff, or being around more than one woman at a time.
I own a hunting dog, and have hunted (no more).
I've done body work on my car.
Used to carry a gun, until I had to carry a diaper bag.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
love to sweat
love hands-on hard grunt work
usually end up carrying the heavy sh^t up the stairs to my apartment
love to get dirty
I played with my brother's matchbox cars when I was little, more than I played with barbie
I love construction
I like beer a WHOLE lot, even more with nachos or pizza
I like Hockey
I like to wear boxers

Rem

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
I like Hockey
I like to wear boxers
Jessie-J - continuing to turn the screws on all single, male, Cyburbanites the world over.

Some random comments on both 'guy' and 'chick' things:

Like someone said of her former marine husband, my career military husband can be very vain about his appearance. He is super picky about who cuts his hair because he is super picky about how it gets cut. Then, with a whole half inch of hair, he will fuss in front of a mirror to get it just right.

However, since he is a Manly Man (reference to a joke thing on a radio station in Kansas, from some years back) and has such short hair, he manages to believe he is NOT vain. When we were on a cruise and my long hair looked like hell after going scuba diving and there was not time to fix it, he had the gall to primp with his hair in front of a mirror briefly. (Urge to kill.)

JNL: we have always had some tools (and are presently renting) but, yeah, I do think homeownership makes one much more likely to own some tools -- or to acquire the Habit if you have never had it.

Women being 'shopaholics': in my observation, men are capable of spending just as much time shopping as women, they just spend it in different departments or different stores. The men I know who love to shop can spend endless hours in audio-video departments, computer stores, and other suitably 'manly' areas of interest.

Additionally, when a man spends gobs of money on clothes, he is not viewed the same way as a woman. He is doing what is necessary to 'dress for success' as a serious professional. Therefore, he is neither 'vain' nor 'primping' (HA!). I generally have less clothes than my husband so I get pretty hostile when his misogynistic family ribs me about a heavy suitcase or some garbage like that (the suitcase in question had books and photo albums in it and things like that, NOT just clothes).

I think there are differences between the sexes. But I also think a lot of it is 'hype'. Men will actively hide or simply relabel 'girly' stuff that they do. A lot of women will actively hide 'manly' things that they do (especially if looking for a boyfriend -- although I think that is a bad idea, the guy should get to know the real you but, I digress). Alternately, women sometimes will try to prove how 'macho' they are in professional situations, trying to 'earn points' and 'fit in' or whatever.

My husband takes some glee in squashing certain stereotypes. He is rather bad at math and I am unusually good at it. So he gets absolutely none of the 'benefits' of the stereotypically male 'advantage' in math -- and has spelled that out in no uncertain terms for a few women who were harping on it in math classes he has taken.

What it comes down to: there are far more differences between individuals than between "the sexes". But I still like the rather superficial 'girly' and 'manly' nonsense because it can be fun, in a flirty sort of way. Of course, I spend a lot of time on military bases, where men still open doors for women. But, then, there is a lot of polite behavior on military bases (people are more polite when so many of them are packing guns) and doors also get opened for elderly people, folks (male or female) pushing a stroller or loaded down with packages, etc.

But it is just Fun to PRETEND the door got opened for me solely because I am a woman -- and to bat my eyelashes and graciously thank this charming gentleman. (I can't do that off base -- folks think I am making a pass at them. On base, you keep your hands to yourself. Again: Everyone has a gun and maybe also access to explosives or some such.)

Jen

Cyburbian
Inner Male calling, calling my inner male.....

lessee, I like to drive fast and aggressive

ride motorcycles

hog the remote control

At my house I am the grillmaster.

I feel strangley inadequate like I should be packing a gun or a toolbelt. I think i need to get a bigger vehicle to compensate my feelings of inferiority!

jmf

Cyburbian
I think a lot of mine are repeats from above:

I rarely wear make-up
I can't stand girly girls - limp handshake; whispery voice, obvious self confidence issues
I HATE pink
I play rugby and currently have a purply/yellow shiner
I hate shopping and don't really care about what clothes I wear
Cold pizza is the best
I always wanted the Fisher Price Garage - not the schoolhouse, the castle or the house - which I had
I think nothing of hoisting the canoe onto my shoulder to portage
I can fix some stuff around the house - electrical mostly - but I live with an engineer and sometimes its just not worth the arguement
I got married at our house - no big white dress, no huge bouquets of flowers, no half dozen bridesmaids

I think when it comes right down to it I am too practical - especially with money issues.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Jessie J mentioned the hockey... how could I forget? See... it's so ingrained that I don't even realize hockey is a "guy thing" anymore.

Others:
I "trash talk" during friendly competitions
Tool is one of my favorite bands (and their videos are awesome).
I have visited strip clubs for fun, and have a few plans for future outings...

Oh yeah, and I watch the "The Man Show" from time to time... that's got to count for something.

-I loathe collectibles/figurines
-I love tromping through the woods and getting dirty
-I can securely tie down anything to the roof of a car or in a canoe, and am an amazing packer of things (cars, suitcases, u-hauls) as well as a very light packer for weekend/vacation trips
-Not a fan of clothes shopping
-I'm the household bug squisher, and am in charge of scooping floating mice and frogs out of the pool
-I have a remarkable laissez faire attitude about the tidiness and cleanliness of my house

Habanero

Cyburbian
I wouldn't consider hockey a "guy thing", but that's because you're weird if you don't like hockey, regardless of gender.

I'm mostly feminine, damnit. Here's what I can come up with:

I lift weights, and not the girly amounts, I can leg press nearly 400 lbs.
I love camping.
I trash talk and I can drink most anyone under the table.
I love beer.
I drive a standard, none of that automatic crap for me.

That's all I can come up with- :(

The Irish One

Well, I do the girly stuff. If I need screwing, drilling, or similar services that men are supposed to have the tools for and lots of practice in how to use them, I insist my husband perform such chores.
That was hot.

So does anybody like that miller commercial where the girls wrestle into the water?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
I wouldn't consider hockey a "guy thing", but that's because you're weird if you don't like hockey, regardless of gender.
Amen to that!

donk

Cyburbian
I guess you can add weird to the many adjectives used to describe me. (creepy and obnoxious have already been used)

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
Playboy and Maxim are great magazines
I, too drive a standard
I want a motorcycle
I just cut all my hair off
I check out girls all the time
I eat macaroni and cheese more than any human should
I am really good at darts
I love dirty jokes
I am NOT a feminist, I'm an "equalist"
who cares about what I'm wearing
I hate heels
I like to wrestle

omg, I think I'm starting to grow a ....

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
I, too drive a standard
I want a motorcycle
I just cut all my hair off
I eat macaroni and cheese more than any human should
I love dirty jokes
I am NOT a feminist, I'm an "equalist"
I hate heels
I like to wrestle

omg, I think I'm starting to grow a ....
I'd pay you $20 to see what you are growing...I'm not gay, not that there is anything wrong with that. I am a lesbian trapped in a man's body, however.

Last edited:

donk

Cyburbian
jessie,

start to worry when ketchup becomes a food group.

to bad about the hair cut.

prudence

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
I want a motorcycle
I love dirty jokes
I like to wrestle
Who ARE you?? More importantly, WHERE are you??

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
More

jmf said:
I HATE pink
Me too. I felt really bad when a relative gave me a pink shirt as a gift - because I won't wear it!

I also won't wear most 'pastel' colors.

I got married at our house - no big white dress, no huge bouquets of flowers, no half dozen bridesmaids
I'm not a big fan of dressing up, and I hate (and can't walk in) high heels. I got married in sneakers & a sundress. At a campground!

I've never understood the concept of a big, expensive wedding with DJs that play music you wouldn't normally listen to. Especially if the event costs as much as a downpayment on a house.

I'm not threatened if (once in awhile) my husband goes to the local topless bar with his best buddy. As long as he comes home to me!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Jessie... I think we are meant to be friends... you sound like most of the other women friends I have. We can trade Maxims and stuff.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
nerudite said:
Jessie... I think we are meant to be friends... you sound like most of the other women friends I have. We can trade Maxims and stuff.
As I've mentioned here before, my wife reads my Playboys, FHMs and Maxims. :)

I love her....

michaelskis

Cyburbian
AHHHH all these perfict women... and here I am. So, do you ladies make it up to PA much???

Cardinal

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
AHHHH all these perfict women... and here I am. So, do you ladies make it up to PA much???
Yes, the Women of Cyburbia (TM) are one of the finest gatherings of the fair (ly rugged) sex I have known.

kms

Cyburbian
After reading the inner chick thread:
I don't watch Trading Spaces.
I didn't want or have a big, elaborate wedding.
I only need about 20 minutes in the morning to get ready.

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
love to sweat
love hands-on hard grunt work
usually end up carrying the heavy sh^t up the stairs to my apartment
love to get dirty
I played with my brother's matchbox cars when I was little, more than I played with barbie
I love construction
I like Hockey
I like to wear boxers
do you like beer with hockey?

SlaveToTheGrind said:
I'd pay you $20 to see what you are growing...I'm not gay, not that there is anything wrong with that. I am a lesbian trapped in a man's body, however.
yeah, I confess too...just can't fight the feeling..a lesbian in a mans body...thats my confession for today.

The Irish one said:
That was hot.
I was beginning to wonder if nobody 'got it'. :) I am glad someone here appreciates a talented tongue.

Okay, if it is macho to skip the big wedding thing, I think I have all the ladies 'beat' on that one: I eloped in a sweatsuit after I proposed, and I paid for the rings, blood tests, marriage license and then, afterwards, dinner and a movie.

I still do the girly, heart-stopping shriek in reaction to the large roaches in Georgia but, having lived in both Kansas and the Mojave Desert, spiders big enough to carry a small child off hardly phase me.

I am not into any team sport, like football, hockey, or baseball. I did do gymnastics at one time and can still do the splits. I got an A in Archery class -- the only one the coach could remember ever being gotten for Archery at that college -- and was a better shot with a gun than my older brother.

For exercise, I used to walk 6 miles in The Mojave Desert -- after dark, so as not to get sunburned and so the temperature would drop below 100 degrees -- with a 'camel back' full of water. After a while, the coyotes quit making me nervous.

The highlight of GIS school was pointing out a mathematical error on the board and refusing to back down and arguing the professor to a standstill. He erased the board 3 times, claiming I must just be 'confused' by the complicated drawing. Finally, in disgust, he bet me 'lunch' -- just about 1 minute before he realized I was right. The $20 he paid up with came in real handy.

IMO, a man can only claim he is a Lesbian if A) He loves women (every chance he gets) and B) He cooks and does laundry. If he can only claim A, then he is your usual, run of the mill, macho male. If he can't claim either, well, if he has any sense, he won't admit it. ;)

(I guess that would be one more thing to add to my criteria for the Perfect Husband: On top of being some old geezer with failing eyesight who thinks I am a 'purty young thang', he would need to be a Lesbian.)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Jessie I LOVE the way you think! I think I still have some good old mags in a box in the basement-hehe Cyburbia swap meet!

blush

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Michele Zone said:

IMO, a man can only claim he is a Lesbian if A) He loves women (every chance he gets) and B) He cooks and does laundry.
Not only do I meet A and B, I also shop at IKEA.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:

IMO, a man can only claim he is a Lesbian if A) He loves women (every chance he gets) and B) He cooks and does laundry. If he can only claim A, then he is your usual, run of the mill, macho male. If he can't claim either, well, if he has any sense, he won't admit it. ;)

I love every woman I meet, and those that I don't meet as well (as long as they are attractive to me) and I cook more than my wife and do laundry.

Jessie-J said:
Jesse, can you convince my wife of this as well?