• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Ok girls fess up-Inner male?

andromeda

Cyburbian
I spent close to a decade living in rural Alaska and was a firefighter/EMT.
I'm a great shot and owned a S&W .357 for several years.
I love to fish, subsistence fishing for salmon and sportfishing for halibut.
I enjoy home improvement, even removing wallpaper made me feel pretty accomplished. I like mowing the lawn.
I have a great sense of directions, learning new road systems, and navigation.
I have been called type A and "aggressive".
I can't handle crying (by either men or women), especially at work.
I don't like hearing someone flap their jaw; just figure out what you need to say efficiently, and then quit talking.
I am an INTJ on the MBTI, which apparently is uncommon for ladies to have.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I enjoy home improvement, even removing wallpaper made me feel pretty accomplished. I like mowing the lawn.
I don't like hearing someone flap their jaw; just figure out what you need to say efficiently, and then quit talking.

I think I'm in love. :l:

DVD

Cyburbian

This one's a keeper, no one scare her off. Maister, I'm, lookin' at you!:D

andromeda

Cyburbian
Thanks! I still appreciate feminine traits and skills, but I've never been much for the old gender binary. I still wear makeup and have long hair because it helps me in my career, but there are too many awesome things in life to miss out on just because it's not "ladylike". I like fiber arts such as crochet and knitting (I showed a Coastie how to crochet a beanie one time), stuff like that. I would rather look at them as useful human skills. One of my friends got an oosik (look it up) when he was working on a remote island for the State, and crocheted a little oosik cozy for it (he had to leave the oosik on the island when he left).

ALSO, that is super interesting that INTJs are common among planners! I did not know that. I always figured that with the interpersonal skills that are required, most planners would be extroverted, not introverts.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
ALSO, that is super interesting that INTJs are common among planners! I did not know that. I always figured that with the interpersonal skills that are required, most planners would be extroverted, not introverts.

Personality typology is a subject that's surfaced here from time to time.
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21687&highlight=Meyers+briggs
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15329&highlight=personality+type
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39252&page=2&highlight=intj

and for the record, introverts are quite common in the field.
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47467&highlight=introverts
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22208&highlight=introverts

Vancity

Cyburbian
Thanks! I still appreciate feminine traits and skills, but I've never been much for the old gender binary. I still wear makeup and have long hair because it helps me in my career.

Surely ladies who don't wear makeup can still have a successful career!? :huh:

.... That personality thing is interesting. I'm INFJ. I guess I am pursuing the right field :D ... but I already knew that :)

I've often wished I had a more masculine personality/skill-set. But femininity seems to have firmly embedded itself into my personality. Thanks for nothing, society.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've often wished I had a more masculine personality/skill-set. But femininity seems to have firmly embedded itself into my personality. Thanks for nothing, society.

Interesting, for some reason I tend to think of you as having latent Girl-With-the-Dragon-Tattoo tendencies.

Oh, and as far as personality types go, I suspect you are an enneagram type 9

DVD

Cyburbian

Somebody's got to keep it classy!

andromeda

Cyburbian
Surely ladies who don't wear makeup can still have a successful career!? :huh:

.... That personality thing is interesting. I'm INFJ. I guess I am pursuing the right field :D ... but I already knew that :)

Your mileage may vary, but I have read study after study that women who engage in patriarchy-compliant behaviors such as grooming, makeup, etc. are better-received in the workplace than women who do not engage in those behaviors. In most workplaces I have been in, makeup for women is expected as part of professionalism. I don't like makeup, but I started wearing it because I noticed how poorly I was being treated. I started wearing it and I was treated better. If you work in a crunchy granola type of town and ride your bike to work, you probably don't have to wear makeup. One of my friends is a police sergeant and doesn't wear makeup. Obviously anecdotes aren't data; I have also known women with successful careers that have never worn makeup. All I know is that women who are assertive, such as myself, have to be relentlessly pleasant in order to succeed in the workplace (with the exception of my police sergeant friend), and for me, makeup is part of playing the role.

Last edited: