• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Ok Im a stoopid white boy

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Whoever filed that suit must die, in order to have another Darwin Award Winner...
I guess the guy has a "slave" brain and no "master" brain to hadle it. :p

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
This is going to affect the auto industry - slave cylinder, brake master cylinder...

The education realm - Masters Degree (that one should really get them going).

Music - Brittney's song Slave for You (nobody really cares about that one though).

...and even, gasp, Cyburbia - SlaveToTheGrind!

I'm running away to Canada never to be heard from again. They will never find me.

The Irish One

I always see the slave master stuff as the computer starts up. So the software industry might have some new scripting to do

ludes98

Cyburbian
First WTF for the afternoon. Truth is stranger than fiction. That guy needs to get laid.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
In Soviet Union we haf vay to deal with seetuations like this:
We erase all myemory and ignore! Da? We belief heestory is what we make of it today, not as actually was.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Being in the IT industry, I can tell you that the master/slave thing has been done to death, not to mention hard drive, floppy, RAM, and countless other terms. It's funny if you hear it for the first time, or if you're 14, but otherwise it's noted as a quirk of the trade.

Someone truly needs to get a life on this one.

martini

Cyburbian
PC going too far on that one. sheesh, I hope nothing comes of it. In fact, I hope that the court it goes through throws it out for ridiculousness.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I can't believe organizations actually pander to such irrational politcally correct demands. Master and Slave are WORDS. They are not implying anything about anyone's background. Once in a while people complain about the formal name of Rhode Island which is "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" because "plantations" is offensive. Nevermind that we didn't have slavery.

One of these days someone is going to file a harrassment lawsuit based on a plumber's "male" and "female" hardware.

In June, the Los Angeles city council unanimously passed a law requiring that any companies doing business with the city disclose profits they may have made from slavery in the 19th Century.

How can any government hold companies responsible for what they did in the 1800's when slavery was (unfortunately) legal? Aren't governments the ones to blame for institutionalized slavery and racism?

In 2000, the council supported federal legislation seeking reparations for descendants of slaves.

The actual issue aside, I'm really tired of local city councils wasting the electorate's time by passing debating and passing legislation relating to issues way out of their control like Iraq.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
"Grandfather" is a racist term. It refers back to a Jim Crow law that one was permitted to vote only if his grandfather was allowed to vote. But who cares today?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
mike gurnee said:
"Grandfather" is a racist term. It refers back to a Jim Crow law that one was permitted to vote only if his grandfather was allowed to vote. But who cares today?
I did not know that. See, you really can learn something new in the FAC at Cyburbia :-D

el Guapo

Capitalist
The new PC:
Does this mean I'll have to get my car rebadged so it doesn't refer to a "womanny place?" :)

Will they rename all the town's people of Rock Ridge?

The funny part was the sen-sa-tive guy pandering to one idiot. Lest the entire RACIST computer industry not fail to roll over and assume the position, someone's feeling's might get hurt.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
el Guapo said:
The new PC:
Does this mean I'll have to get my car rebadged so it doesn't refer to a "womanny place?" :)
Sorry, its Vulva that the place. Close, but no cigar.

Badda Bing!

otterpop

Cyburbian
People are just going way too far on this kind of stuff. It is intolerance of a different kind. Master and slave is not racist. Slavery is multi-cultural, I am afraid. The Egyptians enslaved the Jews. The tribal Africans enslaved people of other tribes. Native Americans enslaved their captives. But what we always remember is that white men enslaved Africans and Afro-Americans. Whoever enslaved who, slavery is and always was wrong.

In the context these people were using "master" and 'slave" was not racist, it was merely descriptive. No different than how we describe how peices of machinery fit together - male and female.

And heaven help the poor person who dares to use the word "*****rdly" in proper English.

I think I am going to write Premium Saltines. Their use of the word "cracker" is morally offensive to all beige people from the South.

Note: when I saved this, my use of a perfectly proper English word was automatically edited. Laughable.