• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Ok, What do you call your soft drinks

What do you call your soft drinks?

• Pop

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Soda

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Coke

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

boiker

Cyburbian
I broke the tie It's pop up 1!

Pop for soft drinks

Pies for Pizza (when I'm drinking, otherwise it's pizza)

dogs for hot dogs. not weiner, not frankfurter, not hot dog, not coney, not red hot) -how about everyone else?

and definatly ant.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Northeast Buffalo:

1) Suckers.
2) Tree lawn.

I especially love the Buffalo Polish-American habit of saying "dat dere" before most nouns or business/establishment names. Oh yeah ... "dere" after, too. Someone who lives in deep, deep Cheektowaga might say "I have to go to dat dere Wegman's dere on da Unionroat der to get some of dat dere sausage dere for da picnic we're having at dat dere Fireman's Park der."

I have a few words that are used in Buffalo to describe an single act. Without resorting to Google, what is that act?

Pogeying
Skeding
Skeeching

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Terraplan said:
[What's with the Boerewors?
South African Afrikaanglish ... gotta' love it! I think "biltong" is a word with much more character than "jerky."

I don't get the whole "robot" thing, though.

Terraplan

Cyburbian
Dan said:

South African Afrikaanglish ... gotta' love it! I think "biltong" is a word with much more character than "jerky."

I don't get the whole "robot" thing, though.
1. Not only that, but Biltong has a lot more character than jerky... (ducks to avoid the angry northern hemispherians throwing tomatoes) You have to admit though, Biltong Rocks...

2. Don't worry, neither do we.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Boerewoers ... in Chickatavaga der, dey call dat a Polish sausage rope der.

Buffalo is a strange city, in that its current and former residents have a sense of hyperidentity -- almost akin to an ethnic group -- that is unmatched in few other cities in the United States. Wherever I lived, those who were from other cities didn't make a big deal about it ... but other Buffalo expats were quite in-your-face about their hometown identity. There are even Buffalonian expat clubs, like the Bills Backers.

There are very unique local foods and local customs that you don't encounter elsewhere in the States. Take, for instance, something mundane like the daily local newspaper. I don't know about ZA, but in the US, most city newspapers are distributed in the morning. Not so in Buffalo, where the major newspaper is delivered in the afternoon ... after school, by paperboys and papergirls, something else that is unknown elsewhere in the country.

You've seen Web sites sites for expat South Africans, where some homesick Jo'burger can have biltong and Ceres juice delivered to their new home in Perth or Denver. Well, there's a similar service for Buffalonians. If a homesick Buffalonian is desperate, they can go online and order a pizza from LaNova or Bocce Club, and have it delivered to Charlotte, Raleigh, or Atlanta.

Buffalo is also perhaps the hardest drinking town in the US. I'll say that my watchful parents had no problem with me going out and having a few beers with my friends. When I was 16. On school nights. Consider the Buffalo Barfly, a huge Web site updated weekly, devoted to showing pictures of Buffalo gals drinking beer ... that's it. Buffalonians are to the US what the Irish are to the rest of the world.

Burrrrrrrp ...