• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Old, grizzled planner

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[old grizzled planner]

When I was getting started out, the AICP meant something! The test was held only in Chicago, in an unheated streetcar barn, and it lasted for two weeks! You were in the exam room all day, between 7:00 AM and 6:00 PM, with no food or bathroom breaks. It was an all-essay exam, and we had to write the answers with fountain pens filled in our own blood. You needed to score 95% to pass, too. We planners were tougher back them! Now, it's a question or two about Radburn or the placement of some inner city free medical clinics, and you've got four initials after your name. It's all gone downhill!

Look at this, from the March 1967 edition of Planning. It's that year's AICP exam. Those hippies had it easy ... the one I took was twice as long!

[/old grizzled planner]

Seabishop

Cyburbian
You old grizzled planners had to be tough to pull all those poor, screaming families out of their homes and raze their brownstones.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[old grizzled planner]

The old APSO used to have the "Ladies of Planning" division. They cried up a storm, and finally starting in 1969 they were allowed to take the AICP exam. Damn profession has gone downhill ever since then. They added pink and purple and pastels to the damn zoning maps, and none of 'em will fetch my morning coffee anymmore. Baaaaaah ...

[/old grizzled planner]