• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Old Planners

el Guapo

Capitalist
Catholic...go straight to Hell.
Hindu...get re-written.
Matrix...wait, there is no planner.
Marxist...get absorbed by the state.
NY Civil Service...loose their residency.
Democrat...keep voting.
Californian...take one last hit off of life's fatty.
Canadian...wander off into the snow in search of donuts and beer, Eh...

Mugbub...rot in the ground like the lazy &^%$*& bastards they are.
Beaner..."I disagree. There are many reasons planners expire and why the new-urbanist perspective needs examination in this context of aging planners and career closure..."
NHP...close that last photoshop doc and post to Cyburbia one last time.
PlannerGirl...snap the whip.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
grumble about the good old days and how the new young whipper snappers dont know anything :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Temp Administrator's note.

I closed this thread during the PhP 302 meltdown as a precaution.

It's open now.

Jeff

Cyburbian
...do nothing, sit in an office all day taking up space and talking on the phone, while tying up a senior planner job so the more qualified lower level guys can't get them, waiting for their 20 years to be up so they can collect a pension and retire.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
...work long enough to get vested in the State retirement system, then become overpaid (& underperforming) master plan consultants.

nerudite

Cyburbian
...become really good at presentations.

I've noticed that many older planners (in the private sector at least) become professional presenters/facilitators. They rarely do the grunt work and actual planning, but usually get pulled in on a lot of jobs for their contacts and presentation skills. I've seen some old-school planners who didn't want to update their knowledge roll over into the facilitation arena... and with decades of presentation experience, it's not a bad choice.